Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2016, 05:53 PM   #1

2017 Roo 23WS

Hi all. We just recently put a deposit on a 2017 Roo 23WS and expect to pick it up in a week. We're trading in our Freedom 2318g (which I'm sad to see go but to accept and embrace the benefits of a hybrid for the sake of my husband). Our list of "Things for the Hybrid" has been growing on Amazon and I'm interested in hearing what everyone's "can't live without it" items are. To start, we're just putting what we had in our popup into the hybrid but I know there are things that I get to buy (like an ice tray!) that I wasn't able to own before.

So what's your top "must have"?
stefie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:16 PM   #2

Never go without a wine bottle opener .....

I'm sure you have all kind of things you will be transfering from your 2318 to your 23ws.
You might want a television for the rear bedroom.
I changed the shower head on mine for an Oxygenic.....lot more pressure and less water used.

Here's a site I found where you can see all the essentials you need....Take your pick:

https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid..._checklist.php
Drenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 07:31 PM   #3

Can and bottle/wine openers....never leave home without them!

We already have an extra tv and are just figuring out whether we're going to mount it (a little nervous about doing that on the camper walls) or buy some kind of small self-standing shelf that we can store in the wardrobe when we're not using it as a tv stand.

I have read a couple of posts about the Oxygenic but haven't really researched it. I figured we would see how the camper shower was as is and then upgrade as we saw the need.

Thanks for the link....very good resource!
Old 06-30-2016, 08:00 PM   #4

Ha ha, don't bother using the shower head! Order one now! I added 2 reading lights over the dinette, love them and can't imagine them not being there.

You will need the sewer hose support , anderson levelers, I bought one of those mini shop vacs I like to use.

I also added JT Strongarm stabilizer system, I really like it, makes the camper so solid it is like being in the house.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:23 PM   #5

I've added the shower head to my Amazon Wish List. We have some time before the first official camping trip due to the hubby heading to a conference for a week. But we'll have it set up in the backyard so maybe I'll try it just to tell him that you were all right and change it out while he's gone. :-)

Sewer hose support is in the shopping cart already. I also have the x-chocks in the cart to help with the "bounciness" we would probably experience with an excitable 11 year old boy. Which mini-shop vac do you have. I have also looked at those on Amazon and just can't decide which ones I want.

I looked at the Anderson leveler and wondered if there would be any need to cut them down. I don't have the necessary tools to do that so I was leary of buying a pair. Right now there are regular leveling blocks in my cart (we use a BAL leveler on the popup so never had to buy them before).

Steph
Old 07-01-2016, 12:15 AM   #6

Digital thermostat. The analog ones are JUNK.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefie19 View Post
We already have an extra tv and are just figuring out whether we're going to mount it (a little nervous about doing that on the camper walls) or buy some kind of small self-standing shelf that we can store in the wardrobe when we're not using it as a tv stand.

That was the only place I could install a bracket for the rear bedroom television, and it works well. There is a stud at that location and it was an easy install. I found the bracket on ebay. It swings and pivot.
I mount the tv (19" lcd) loosely to the backet, and when not in used, I just put the tv in the closet. I also bought a 2 feet cable wire for the purpose.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:41 AM   #8

Another thing you might consider is where to install the toilet paper roll. I installed mine on the inside of the door in the cabinet under the sink (make sure you use small screws to do so).
I also needed a garbage can in the bathroom. I didn't want to take too much space so I bought a tupperware made for cereal , removed the lid and installed it in the same cabinet (perfect fit) as long as you put the toilet paper roll high enough to clear it.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....19bFZKCUeL.jpg
Old 07-01-2016, 06:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post
Another thing you might consider is where to install the toilet paper roll. I installed mine on the inside of the door in the cabinet under the sink (make sure you use small screws to do so).
I also needed a garbage can in the bathroom. I didn't want to take too much space so I bought a tupperware made for cereal , removed the lid and installed it in the same cabinet (perfect fit) as long as you put the toilet paper roll high enough to clear it.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....19bFZKCUeL.jpg
Yes, the toilet paper roll has been a discussion point. I think inside the cabinet will be the winner but we also thought about against the wall next to the cabinet (I think we'll end up walking into it and I don't like that it cuts into the space) or on the actual bathroom door (again, cuts into space). I'd rather it be out of the way and not jutting into an already small bathroom. And then of course there's the bumping into it after taking a shower. Nobody likes wet toilet paper.

Speaking of trash cans. Where do you have one stored in the main part of the camper. I originally thought under the sink but then realized that the cabinets don't go all the way to the floor. I had envisioned having one on a slide out. Just not sure if that will work anywhere and so now I'm brainstorming ideas and open to suggestions.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drenjoey View Post

That was the only place I could install a bracket for the rear bedroom television, and it works well. There is a stud at that location and it was an easy install. I found the bracket on ebay. It swings and pivot.
I mount the tv (19" lcd) loosely to the backet, and when not in used, I just put the tv in the closet. I also bought a 2 feet cable wire for the purpose.
This is a good to know. I'm guessing there has to be some kind of structure in the wall there because there is the linen cabinet on the other side of that wall.

I foresee being very busy the week my husband is away.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Speaking of trash cans. Where do you have one stored in the main part of the camper. I originally thought under the sink but then realized that the cabinets don't go all the way to the floor. I had envisioned having one on a slide out. Just not sure if that will work anywhere and so now I'm brainstorming ideas and open to suggestions.
I installed the main room garbage can in the cupboard by the entry door. I built a shelf on drawer sliders.......perfect for us !

Old 07-01-2016, 06:53 AM   #12

We also had the same thoughts about the toilet paper holder placement and ended up inside the cabinet on the door. Works very well there.
We have a small round trash can that just sits on the floor just under the entertainment center. As we empty the trash every day, I don't mind that it is small. We don't trip over it either.
I did hang a spice rack next to the sink. Right now I have a problem with stuff bouncing out when we are towing so am working on a solution for that, but love having stuff right there. For now I just put the stuff in a dish pan in the sink for travel.Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1467373894422.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	112744
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:13 AM   #13
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
I looked at the Anderson leveler and wondered if there would be any need to cut them down. I don't have the necessary tools to do that so I was leary of buying a pair. Right now there are regular leveling blocks in my cart (we use a BAL leveler on the popup so never had to buy them before).

Steph
From looking at photos of the 23WS, which appears to be a newer, slightly modified version of the 23SS, you would have to cut one of the Anderson levelers to fit between the tires of the dual axles. I had an '08 23SS and there's not much clearance between the tires, approx 1 1/2" - 2" at the center point.
One of the other modifications I would do would be the awning poles/brackets. Had them on my Roo, transferred them to my Flagstaff and now have them on my Sunseeker. I wouldn't be without them.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
From looking at photos of the 23WS, which appears to be a newer, slightly modified version of the 23SS, you would have to cut one of the Anderson levelers to fit between the tires of the dual axles. I had an '08 23SS and there's not much clearance between the tires, approx 1 1/2" - 2" at the center point.
One of the other modifications I would do would be the awning poles/brackets. Had them on my Roo, transferred them to my Flagstaff and now have them on my Sunseeker. I wouldn't be without them.

Tell me about the awning poles/brackets. We have a power awning on the new camper but I have read about anchoring the corners so you aren't constantly putting the awning away if it gets windy. I wouldn't leave it open if it was really bad but we do have plans to be near the ocean in August and I assume I'll deal with a relatively constant breeze there.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #15

Turbs is the forum member selling the awning poles and brackets. See post below.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for....php?p=1124371

Best mod for a tt especially with the newer power awnings.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:47 PM   #16
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandchris View Post
Turbs is the forum member selling the awning poles and brackets. See post below.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for....php?p=1124371

Best mod for a tt especially with the newer power awnings.
AMEN!

Bought my brackets from OldCoot several years ago - did the poles myself, I'm on my second set. First set, ah... didn't hold water. Pun intended. During a HEAVY storm, one pole collapsed - didn't have awning tilted enough. Now I have metal conduit for poles. However, seeing the poles Turbs offers, I wouldn't waste my time again - I'd buy his! Especially powder coated!
And as far as being close to the ocean..... with the poles/brackets and proper anchoring, anything short of maybe 50mph+, I'd have my awning out!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
AMEN!

Bought my brackets from OldCoot several years ago - did the poles myself, I'm on my second set. First set, ah... didn't hold water. Pun intended. During a HEAVY storm, one pole collapsed - didn't have awning tilted enough. Now I have metal conduit for poles. However, seeing the poles Turbs offers, I wouldn't waste my time again - I'd buy his! Especially powder coated!
And as far as being close to the ocean..... with the poles/brackets and proper anchoring, anything short of maybe 50mph+, I'd have my awning out!
I hear ya! Have a set of OC's poles and brackets. Wouldn't be without them. Two summers ago in shipshewanna had a storm go through the campground and destroyed 4 awnings, but OC's poles & brackets stayed right where I put them.
I see you're in Western Maryland, my Dad grew up in the Lonaconing area, so we've been there many times over the years visiting relatives. Happy camping!
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:29 PM   #18

Quote:
We used a BAL leveler with both of our PUPs - and wouldn't do it any other way. When we got the 21SS we researched options and didn't see anything that looked comparable (ease of use, etc). So we ordered a second BAL. While we had zero problems in 5 years with the 21SS they may be over-matched with the 23IKSS - but so far so good.
2006 Fleetwood Bayside / 2006 4Runner
1999 Coleman SantaFe / 2001 Sienna
1967 Nimrod / 1998 Outback
Old Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo