Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #1

2018 Roo 19 issues

Having a few issues. Drug the camper to the beach, this is only the 3rd time using the camper and the first since it sat over winter. First issues is the toilet won't run water into the bowl. There is water in the feed line going into the pedal assembly, but nothing from the pedal to the bowl. I did unscrew the fitting at this connection point to see if i could feel anything in there that may be clogging the line however i couldn't feel anything. So to use the toilet we are having to carry water in a cup from the sink to pour into the bowl. Next issue is the electric hot water heater doesn't seem to be working. Switch lights up, just doesn't heat the water. We're having to use lp to heat water. Any ideas? I'm not past admitting any of this could be user error!
jmiles8701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #2

Unless your 2018 is different than my 2016, The electric switch for the water heater is on the outside, inside the access cover (doesn't light up). Obviously, ensure you have water in the tank before turning it on or you'll burn out the element.
The switch on the inside that lights up turns on the igniter for the propane.

Not sure about the toilet...
ebcobra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiles8701 View Post
Having a few issues. Drug the camper to the beach, this is only the 3rd time using the camper and the first since it sat over winter. First issues is the toilet won't run water into the bowl. There is water in the feed line going into the pedal assembly, but nothing from the pedal to the bowl. I did unscrew the fitting at this connection point to see if i could feel anything in there that may be clogging the line however i couldn't feel anything. So to use the toilet we are having to carry water in a cup from the sink to pour into the bowl. Next issue is the electric hot water heater doesn't seem to be working. Switch lights up, just doesn't heat the water. We're having to use lp to heat water. Any ideas? I'm not past admitting any of this could be user error!
Please post pics of WH switches or post brand and model number of WH.
If you turned the electric side and the WH was empty, you may have burned up the electric element.
You can check with multimeter.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:49 PM   #4

I've also heard that the electric switch for the suburban WH can become faulty. It can be popped out and tested with a multimeter. Replacements are available online.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...EOR32jOcowc8Rb
Old 03-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #5

you probably have a clogged water line leading to your toliet. disconnect the water and push something like a flat head screwdriver into the fitting and scrape it around.

its also pretty easy to take it off (2 bolts) and use a hose and nozzle to spray that fitting out. Use a solo cup with water in to plug the hole to the black tank.

takes less than 30 minutes... and you can do it on location. (don't ask me how I know)
Old 03-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #6

Assuming your Roo 19 is still similar to my 2012 unit, you have a 6 gal Suburban water heater. It has a gas LP heater side operated by a switch on your control panel with a small LED next to it. When you turn it on, the red LED will illuminate while the HWH tries to light. It will try 3 times. If it lights, the red LED will go out. If it doesn't, the LED will stay lit and the HWH will stop trying to light (lock out) until you turn the switch off and try again. Below is a "generic" control panel with the Gas LP switch in the upper right.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Typical HWH gas switch in control panel.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	164676

The electric switch is accessed from the outside. See the arrow in the pic below.

Name:	Suburban-SW6DE-Hot-Water-Heater.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	164677

SOME units do have a second switch inside for the electric element. If you do, you should have 2 switches and the red light. It can look like the first pic above with a 2nd switch to the right of the gas LP switch, or sometimes they are totally separate like the pic below. If you DO have this (unlikely), you still need the outside switch turned on. The inside switch is actually a 12VDC switch that closes a 12VDC relay at the HWH that closes and supplies 120VAC to the outside switch.

Name:   Electric-Gas switch.jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  5.8 KB

Read your owners manual for more info.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:59 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to BGinVA
Quote:
Regarding the toilet water flow problem ... because it it a new trailer, often construction debris gets clogged in the smaller toilet valve assembly. I have cleared this problem by simply spraying compress air back through the valve from the toilet bowl. I use a can of compressed air, typically used for cleaning computers and electronics of dust. Works great.
BGinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #8

Also check the valves for winterizing the water heater. If the valve are turned the wrong way you won't get hot water. Search for water heater valves and you can see pictures of the correct position.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:02 PM   #9

Also, to help the water heater light on LP gas the first time, light a burner on the stove for a minute or two to get gas into the line.

Note that I'm assuming you've turned the gas ON. Do NOT wing the valves open. There is a high flow valve in the tank that will shut off the gas if it sees high flow, thinking the gas line has ruptured. Just crack open the valve until the line is pressurized, then open it the rest of the way.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:36 PM   #10

Well, there IS a switch outside in the water heater compartment. No idea how or when it got flipped off, but I flipped it back on and the electric hot water heater is now working! As far as the toilet goes, still no luck. Haven't tried blowing air in the line yet, will likely wait till I get back home to try that.
jmiles8701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Well, there IS a switch outside in the water heater compartment. No idea how or when it got flipped off, but I flipped it back on and the electric hot water heater is now working! As far as the toilet goes, still no luck. Haven't tried blowing air in the line yet, will likely wait till I get back home to try that.

As mentioned before, make sure you turn that switch off when there’s no water and the trailer is plugged in as that switch is not tied to the indoor switch at all. The elements will still be on when the inside switch is off and you’re connected to shore power.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:03 AM   #12

Being the owner of a new roo also, I had poor water flow to all faucets only exception being the outside one. All had pieces of tubing stuck inside and had to be taken apart and cleared of plastic shavings.
Charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
As mentioned before, make sure you turn that switch off when there’s no water and the trailer is plugged in as that switch is not tied to the indoor switch at all. The elements will still be on when the inside switch is off and you’re connected to shore power.
so why would they put in the indoor switch if it does not work??? my indoor electric switch does indeed turn the electric portion on and off, so I leave the outdoor switch on all the time. (but the outdoor switch has to be on for the indoor switch to work).
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalsofEscape View Post
so why would they put in the indoor switch if it does not work??? my indoor electric switch does indeed turn the electric portion on and off, so I leave the outdoor switch on all the time. (but the outdoor switch has to be on for the indoor switch to work).
A lot of the Roos don't have an inside switch for the electric WH element. Only an inside gas switch. In the OP's case, sounds like he has this setup with only the outside electric switch and an inside gas switch.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:16 AM   #15

Quote:

It works to control the gas portion.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #16

Quote:
It works to control the gas portion.
no - that is a separate switch.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #17

Quote:
no - that is a separate switch.

You seem to be confused. You asked why they put the indoor switch if it doesn’t work. The indoor switch is to turn on the gas heat for the water heater.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #18

Quote:
You seem to be confused. You asked why they put the indoor switch if it doesn’t work. The indoor switch is to turn on the gas heat for the water heater.
no- I was asking you why the indoor electric switch would not work based on your post as you stated the indoor switch was not tied to the electric element - i know I have two switches and they both work. sounds like the OP also has two indoor switches, one for gas and one for electric.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #19

Quote:
no- I was asking you why the indoor electric switch would not work based on your post as you stated the indoor switch was not tied to the electric element - i know I have two switches and they both work. sounds like the OP also has two indoor switches, one for gas and one for electric.

If they have 2 indoor switches like this...

Name:	IMG_3982.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	164845

Then yes, they can control the electric function from inside as long as the outdoor switch is turned on. They may not realize there is a switch on the water heater itself.

Many of us do not have 2 indoor switches, we only have one which is only for gas. If we want electric then we have to control it with the outdoor switch only.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:49 AM   #20

Agreed. They began putting in two indoor switches a couple of years ago. Your post was not clear as you were warning the op that he still needed to turn the electric switch on the tank off and he seems to have the two indoor switches setup.

Tags
roo