Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2018, 07:35 AM   #1

2018 Roo 233s - 1st Adventure Water Heater Questions

Started out trying to use the water heater on electric. Had it on for a good hour and didn't notice any difference in hot water temp. Switched over to gas and had hot water in no time. How long does it take for the hot water heater to warm water on electric? What am I missing? thanks!
shooter68123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter68123 View Post
Started out trying to use the water heater on electric. Had it on for a good hour and didn't notice any difference in hot water temp. Switched over to gas and had hot water in no time. How long does it take for the hot water heater to warm water on electric? What am I missing? thanks!
As emboldened in red above, are you saying the water was already hot when turned on the electric....or did you mean you didn't notice any difference in the temp of the cold water being heated any?

If the electric element didn't heat the cold water, then there a few things to look at.

What kind of water heater do you have? Is there a switch in the inside of the RV for both the gas and the electric heating element (two inside switches in total)...or just a switch on the inside for the gas, with a switch on the face of the water heater for the electric element?

Are you connected to a form of 120 volt AC power for the electric heating element to work?

Have you made sure the circuit breaker for the electric heating element is on in the RV's electrical distribution panel?

There are some instances of the electric side of the water heater not even being plugged in from the factory. Can you access the rear of the water heater and see if the power cord is connected to a power source.

Have you possibly ever tried to turn on the electric heating element without water in the tank? This can burn the element out.

Do you have any kind of selector switch somewhere that lets you select between two appliances, like a water heater and microwave...so as to not overload a circuit breaker? We are seeing more RV's coming with these.

If you have a Suburban brand water heater, this FAQ may help:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 07:53 AM   #3

I started with cold water in the tank and tried the electric water heater setting first. Didn't seem to work so I switcheed to gas and hot water in no time.

There is an external switch in the external water heater panel. I thought it had to be on for both gas and electric options. I turned it on, then went inside and turned on the switch for the electric water heater. When it didn't seem to work, I turned off the inside switch for electric water heater and turned on the internal switch for the gas water heater setting. I went outside and heard it try to ignite twice before it fired up.

And...yes, I did accidently light the gas in the water heater with no water in the tank for a couple minutes before I figured out the bypass valves and filled the tank. I do not believe I tried the electric water heater setting w/o any water in the tank.

I will check the wiring to see if it is connected.

Thanks. Appreciate the info.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:56 AM   #4

Forgot to add:

I was connected to 120v power at the campsite (30 amp umbilical)

I will check the breakers...
Old 05-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #5

"Have you possibly ever tried to turn on the electric heating element without water in the tank? This can burn the element out."

I think you nailed it. I read the article you posted in your reply. I thought the external switch was for propane. According to the article it's for the electric element. I think I turned that on with no water in the tank at one time. Article says that can burn it out in a matter of seconds.

I have a feeling Im not the first newbie to do that...
Old 05-06-2018, 08:02 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
I started with cold water in the tank and tried the electric water heater setting first. Didn't seem to work so I switcheed to gas and hot water in no time.

There is an external switch in the external water heater panel. I thought it had to be on for both gas and electric options. I turned it on, then went inside and turned on the switch for the electric water heater. When it didn't seem to work, I turned off the inside switch for electric water heater and turned on the internal switch for the gas water heater setting. I went outside and heard it try to ignite twice before it fired up.

And...yes, I did accidently light the gas in the water heater with no water in the tank for a couple minutes before I figured out the bypass valves and filled the tank. I do not believe I tried the electric water heater setting w/o any water in the tank.

I will check the wiring to see if it is connected.

Thanks. Appreciate the info.
From your info above, it seems like you are describing a Suburban SWDEL model water heater, which in fact does have a pair of switches for the electric and one switch for the gas.

For the electric heating element, you will need the master outside switch on the face of the water heater set to ON (this only controls the electric heating element), and then use the inside switch for the electric element to turn the element on and off (secondary switch).

The gas only works from the one inside switch for it, and the outside switch has no effect on it.

The operation of the SWDEL model is explained in the link I posted previously for the Suburban water heater. It's a lot of reading, but will explain it, and you can verify that is exactly what you have.

Are you positive you have an inside switch for the water heater and are not maybe mistakingly turning on something that says "tank heater". I have to ask all of these questions, as we have seen so many things.

If you could post a pic of your control panel it would help tremendously. I also edited my first reply with some more questions (like an appliance selector switch).

We are going to get you fixed up.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #7

@WMTire: pretty sure I burned it up by turning on the external switch with no water in the tank. Hadn't figured out the bypass valves and had an empty tank the first time I tried the water heater. Lesson learned...time to see if the warranty is "idiot proof" (kinda doubt it)
Old 05-06-2018, 08:15 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
@WMTire: pretty sure I burned it up by turning on the external switch with no water in the tank. Hadn't figured out the bypass valves and had an empty tank the first time I tried the water heater. Lesson learned...time to see if the warranty is "idiot proof" (kinda doubt it)
Well, if you have the SWDEL model (with two electric switches-1 inside and 1 outside), you would have had to had both of them ON to burn it up.

If you have the SWDE model (just the one outside electric switch), then yes you probably did burn it up.

Anyhow, you can easily just use the propane side of the water heater, and camp on. Many RV'ers never use the electric heating element side of the water heater.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:19 AM   #9
Site Team

Can I ask if this is your first RV? If so, we keep a list of some things that we have found to be helpful to those just starting out (and dealers fail to properly explain), that we keep at this link here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ts-157524.html

Old 05-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #10

I highly doubt the Roo's are coming with SWDEL's, but I guess anything is possible.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:35 PM   #11

Hardly expensive enough to make a warranty claim.

Quote:
You need this water heater element for $9.71 and this wrench to install it for $4.26. That's hardly enough to bother with a claim.

Be sure to follow the instructions in .

There are several other videos on YouTube if something's not clear in this one.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I highly doubt the Roo's are coming with SWDEL's, but I guess anything is possible.
I just took a glance at the brochure for these, and according to page 14 under standards and options, they do have interior switches standard for the gas and electric heating element.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/brochu...ckbrochure.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shamrockwaterheater.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	170815  

Old 05-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #13

Wow. They're moving up in the world!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Wow. They're moving up in the world!
Since at least the 2016 models LOL. (my 2016 Shamrock hybrid has the SWDEL water heater, so it sould the same with the Roos)
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s, heater, roo, vent, water, water heater