Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #1

21dk question

Hello everyone,
I am brand new to the forums here. I don't own an rv yet, but I have been shopping around for about a year. My wife and I are very interested in a 21dk Roo but, I've looked all over and can't find one near me in southeastern TN. All of them seem to be about 7-8 hours north of me. There is a dealer here that I can order one from but, we have a hard time purchasing a floorplan that we haven't been able to walk through. My question is, is there anyone that owns a 21dk living within a couple of hours, drive time, of Chattanooga, that would be willing to let us come look at it. I realize that this might be a strange thing to ask but, it's a lot of money to spend on something that you're not positive if it's what you need and want.
Thanks for any help,
James
hikemor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
Site Team

there are 2-3 people here who've just bought a 21DK.
so, you might get some feedback as soon as they take possession of theirs.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:24 PM   #3

Wish I could help, but unless you're willing to drive up to Wisconsin...

What I can tell you is I couldn't be happier with ours so far; the floorplan, weight, bath tub for the mini-me's.. it's perfect for us. Hope you find out if it's perfect for you too! Good luck!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Forest River Forums mobile app

2012 GMC Yukon XL SLT 4X4
2014 Rockwood Roo 21DK

BadgerRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 12:05 AM   #4

We will be getting ours in probably a week or so, but we are in PA, so not much closer to you When we finally get it home I'll definitely be taking pictures, and would be more than happy to take a video and send it to you. I absolutely love the DK and how it is laid out. I love the options you can get with such a small/light trailer. Up until now we have been tent campers, so this is a pretty exciting step for us!!!
Old 04-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #5

I did what you don't want to do. I looked at so many pictures of the 21DK but never actually set foot in one until mine arrived a couple weeks ago. I couldn't be happier with it tho.
fun_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #6

Thanks everyone,
Still haven't found one to walk through. I'm glad to see that you guys are happy with yours. fun_runner, I can't even bring myself to order shoes online, if I haven't tried them on first. Haha!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun_runner View Post
I couldn't be happier with it tho.
What are you pulling it with?
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:04 AM   #8

Peco Campers is a wonderful dealer of Forest River. I don't know if they have what you need in stock, but we wouldn't buy from anyone else. They're located in Stone Mountain, GA.
Family of 4: Hubby, me, 2 teenagers
1 Rat Terrier
duncmelsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 01:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikemor View Post
Thanks everyone,
Still haven't found one to walk through. I'm glad to see that you guys are happy with yours. fun_runner, I can't even bring myself to order shoes online, if I haven't tried them on first. Haha!
Noticed you said Roo 21dk. Have you tried searching for a Shamrock 21dk around your area? They are the exact same except for the outside colours/decals and interior colours/designs. Even if you are deadset on getting a Roo at least you will have gotten a hands on look at the model.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forest River Forums mobile app
BC Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
What are you pulling it with?
Right now I have a supercharged 97 4Runner. We are looking at a Tundra now tho purely for the extra space to haul stuff in the bed of the truck since the 21dk doesnt have the massive pass-thru storage my older camper did. The 4Runner pulls the camper pretty good tho.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun_runner View Post
... We are looking at a Tundra now tho purely for the extra space to haul stuff in the bed of the truck since the 21dk doesnt have the massive pass-thru storage my older camper did. ...
Can you elaborate on how much pass-through storage (or any external storage) it does have? Do you (or anybody else) know of other models in similar size range (18'-21' box) that has a better storage configuration?

Thanks

Chris

PS: See my PM for questions about your TV.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #12

Hikemor , we just purchased the 21dk about 2 weeks ago. We LOVE it!
We got the Shamrock, the twin of the Roo. I was afraid also but we went for it and we love it.
Get the raised panel cupboards and fridge ,, it makes it so much prettier. Also the deep Cherry wood is what we went with over the oak wood look and it is Gorgeous! Someone else on here went with Cherry and they love it.
We live in Louisiana so I think that would be to far to come see ours.

We got ours through Colerain RV of Indianapolis/Cincinatti.. They had some in stock so that way we didnt have to wait for it. We could not find any in the south, except for 1 in TX that was 4000.00 more than the prices in Indiana. So we just drove up and got it.
We paid around 15,600.00 for ours which I think was a very good price.
We added the power jack for 150.00 and the power awning was already on it. IF you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.
Sheripoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Can you elaborate on how much pass-through storage (or any external storage) it does have? Do you (or anybody else) know of other models in similar size range (18'-21' box) that has a better storage configuration?

Thanks

Chris

PS: See my PM for questions about your TV.
My old Fun Finder had the bed up front so it had the pass thru storage underneath. The Shamrock doesnt have that underbelly pass thru storage since the beds fold out the ends. Its not a big issue, 99% of my stuff still fits in the smaller compartments. We would always bring some tiki torches with us and those being 4-5ft long wont fit in any of the storage compartments. I also wanted the Tundra so I could throw our bikes and firewood in the bed since, from what I've read, you're not supposed to put any kind of cargo carrier/bike rack on the back bumper of these hybrids.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:34 PM   #14

Can the 21DK be used without opening the slideout or dropping the bunks? Specifically, if we stop overnight somewhere just to sleep and don't want to disconnect or set up anything, can sleep, eat, and use the bathroom?

We're only 2 adults, so additional bed space isn't a requirement.

Thanks

Chris
Old 04-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Can the 21DK be used without opening the slideout or dropping the bunks? Specifically, if we stop overnight somewhere just to sleep and don't want to disconnect or set up anything, can sleep, eat, and use the bathroom?

We're only 2 adults, so additional bed space isn't a requirement.

Thanks

Chris
Yeah, you could do it. The bathroom is directly behind the door when you go inside and there's a little bit of clearance with the slide "in" to at least get at the dinette if you'd want to sleep on that and keep the bed ends up. Not sure if it would be recommended to sleep in it while still hooked up to your TV?... but I don't know that for sure.

2014 Rockwood Roo 21DK

Old 04-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerRoo View Post
Yeah, you could do it. The bathroom is directly behind the door when you go inside and there's a little bit of clearance with the slide "in" to at least get at the dinette if you'd want to sleep on that and keep the bed ends up. Not sure if it would be recommended to sleep in it while still hooked up to your TV?... but I don't know that for sure.
Thanks. I've seen other posts about owners staying in their trailers overnight without disconnecting, so I don't expect it to be a problem. I might want to drop the jack and stabilizers. Being able to park, open the trailer door, and go to sleep is a HUGE advantage over the pop-up we sold several years ago.

Can you open the refrigerator door with the slide in? That would make loading in prep for a trip easier, or unloading the grocery cart in the parking lot of the grocery store.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:03 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks. I've seen other posts about owners staying in their trailers overnight without disconnecting, so I don't expect it to be a problem. I might want tjust drop it jack and stabilizers. Being able to park, open the trailer door, and go to sleep is a HUGE advantage over the pop-up we sold several years ago.

Can you open the refrigerator door with the slide in? That would make loading in prep for a trip easier, or unloading the grocery cart in the parking lot of the grocery store.
Oh cool, guess I learned something new today! . And yes, you can fully open the fridge with the slide in. The slide is about the width of the u-shaped dinette (and directly across from it) so everything else is just as accessible as it would be with the slide out.

2014 Rockwood Roo 21DK

Old 04-19-2014, 02:41 PM   #18
Site Team

by the way, it's called "turtling" in the Hybrid community, when you sleep on the sofa and dinette without opening the canvas bunk ends.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:39 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
by the way, it's called "turtling" in the Hybrid community, when you sleep on the sofa and dinette without opening the canvas bunk ends.
Hahaha, that's great. Love it!

2014 Rockwood Roo 21DK

Old 04-19-2014, 05:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Boy View Post
Noticed you said Roo 21dk. Have you tried searching for a Shamrock 21dk around your area? They are the exact same except for the outside colours/decals and interior colours/designs. Even if you are deadset on getting a Roo at least you will have gotten a hands on look at the model.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Forest River Forums mobile app
We are definitely looking at the Shamrock as well. My wife actually likes the colors of the Shamrock better than the Roo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheripoms
We got ours through Colerain RV of Indianapolis/Cincinatti.. They had some in stock so that way we didnt have to wait for it. We could not find any in the south, except for 1 in TX that was 4000.00 more than the prices in Indiana. So we just drove up and got it.
We paid around 15,600.00 for ours which I think was a very good price.
We added the power jack for 150.00 and the power awning was already on it. IF you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.
That's good to know. Everybody that we talk to, around here, quote us a price of around $18,500 to order one. How many people, do you think, can sit at the u-shaped dinette?