Old 04-17-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
21DK Tongue Weight

Have any 21DK owners actually measured their tongue weight? I purchased a 2015 Shamrock 21DK last fall. At that time the dry TW wasn't advertised on Forest Rivers site, but it is now.

Flagstaff Shamrock Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

What's troubling me is that the stated dry weight of the camper is 4008 lbs and the dry TW is 616 lbs. That's just over the 15% recommended. Now add propane, battery and water which all sit in front of the axles. To me it seems that the TW would grow to be even higher than 15%.

I haven't weighed mine yet (Planning on doing it this weekend) but I was just wondering if this made sense.

Thanks in advance for any replies. This site is awesome and I've learned a lot lurking over the last couple months.

FordFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
Moderators' Assistant
That trailer is going to be tongue heavy because of the kitchen slide and the u-dinette are in the front half of the trailer.
The actual tongue weight could be around 750lbs.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #3
The 21Dk is tongue heavy, but I wouldn't worry too much about the % tongue weight as long as the WDH is set up correctly so the tow vehicle & trailer are level and the tow vehicle has the payload to handle that tongue weight.

2005 F-150 FX4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #4
I had the same concern. There just isn't much in the back half of the trailer to give it any weight. The flip side of the coin is that it's better to be tongue heavy than be too light. I did not like that number either but I sure like the shorter length and lighter weight overall.

I will be curious after you get it weighed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
RPod 183g
2013 F150 FX4 EB
RooVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 12:02 PM   #5
Thanks guys. I knew it was going to be tongue heavy but I assumed it should still fall within the 10-15% range. We upgraded from a popup so most of the gear that used to be packed in the truck can now be packed in the camper.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:34 PM   #6
Take a read through this thread - it explains the proper way to weigh the tow vehicle, trailer, the combination of both and how to adjust the hitch for best weight distribution. Just because it looks level doesn't mean that it is setup correctly.

My dealer installed the WDH and I didn't like the way it towed. Something just didn't seem right, so I followed these steps and sure enough, too much weight on the rear axle and the front was too light. So I tightened the chains another link and shifted a bunch of weight off the rear axle and onto the front. What a difference on the road.
I live with fear every day, and sometimes she lets me go fishing.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
So, I was finally able to get to the scales. Below are the results of the 3 passes. I was the only one in the vehicle and it wasn't fully loaded for camping, but I was able to get a good idea of the TW and what the WDH is doing. Let me know what you all think.

1st Pass - TV and Camper hitched w/ WDH engaged
Front - 3120 lb
Rear - 3520 lb
Camper - 3880 lb
Combined - 10520 lb

2nd Pass - TV and Camper hitched w/ WDH disengaged
Front - 2920 lb
Rear - 3820 lb
Camper - 3780 lb
Combined - 10520 lb

3rd Pass - TV only (WD hitch and bars in bed)
Front - 3180 lb
Rear - 2860 lb
Gross - 6040 lb

It appears the TW is 700 lb and the WDH is taking 300 lb from the rear axle and putting 200lb on the front and 100lb on camper.

Truck is a 2011 F-150 4x4 Crew Cab
GVWR - 7200
FGAWR - 3750
RGAWR - 3850

2011 F-150 5.0L Crew Cab
2015 Shamrock 21DK