Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #1

21SS vs 23SS

I'm going to buy a 2012 Roo in a few weeks and I am torn between a 21SS vs 23SS! Any advise or recommendations??

thanks
Z-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #2

Not to add to your difficult decision, but check out the 23RS too. If my TV could pull one that's what I would have ordered. I have been in both the 21SS and 23SS and both are nice. I liked the 23SS layout better, but that's my personal preference.

Both have the same basic idea, a large side slide and 2 end tents. Both are about the same length when open & same weight, so the cooking & seating layout is the deciding factors. Also the 23 doesn't have any carpeted area (if that is important to you).

I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Good luck.
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:38 PM   #3

I had the 23ss and liked the floorplan over the 21ss. Although they are somewhat similar, the 23ss has quite a abit of extra counter space behind the sink and stove. The couch in the 23ss is also a bit longer so you can sit 3 people across easily.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #4

Thanks for the advise, I do like the 23RS also but basically the dealer has only the 21 and 23SS coming in and giving me a good price for either. I do like the extra storage in the 23SS but the floor space in the 21SS is really appealing to my wife and I, especially with two labs tagging along.

Tom
Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #5

Hmmm... They are both great floorplans. With the two dogs, I think I would go with the 21SS. We decided on the 233S over the 23SS because of the added floorplace (and bunkspace) for our 4 (yes 4...) large breed dogs. Taking the dogs out of the equation, however, we would probably be in a 23SS.
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Site Team

we have a golden retriever and we preferred the 23SS.
the DW's #1 priority was kitchen counterspace, which the 21SS has none.
plus the 23SS has way more inside storage and the layout was better.
the only pro for us, on the 21SS, was the larger floorspace. so if you don't mind the lack of storage and no counterspace, then the 21SS would be fit your dogs better.

be sure to sit on the toilet.

the 21SS has less bathroom space and many have noticed the tighter quarters in the 21SS's bathroom.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #7

Hi Tom,
Wow! You could be my doppelganger! When we added a 2nd Golden to our little family this past July, we knew we'd outgrown our Fleetwood popup and started researching the hybrids HARD! We narrowed it down to the same two models you're looking at. The 21SS is great. The floorspace in that thing is UNBELIEVABLE. I think I could put our popup in there with room to spare, but that's all it is... space. It's not really useful space. There is very little storage, so a lot of our stuff would have to go in rubbermaids and loaded and unloaded, the kitchen area is small, with really no counter space to speak of, and the dinette and couch are side-by-side which isn't really conducive to conversation. It also sits higher than the 23SS because of the super-slide, that means that it'll tow 'heavier' because there's more frontal area exposed to the wind.

The 23SS, which we chose, has tons of usable space. With a U-shaped dinette and a larger couch, there's plenty of seating. The kitchen has counter space on all sides of the sink and range, there's room for the coffee maker, snacks, dishes, etc. There's also a LARGE closet and so many nooks and crannies that some of them are still empty.

On our last trip, we camped for four night with another couple and our two goldens. We never felt cramped, even when we were all inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	9539  
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemme
Hi Tom,
Wow! You could be my doppelganger! When we added a 2nd Golden to our little family this past July, we knew we'd outgrown our Fleetwood popup and started researching the hybrids HARD! We narrowed it down to the same two models you're looking at. The 21SS is great. The floorspace in that thing is UNBELIEVABLE. I think I could put our popup in there with room to spare, but that's all it is... space. It's not really useful space. There is very little storage, so a lot of our stuff would have to go in rubbermaids and loaded and unloaded, the kitchen area is small, with really no counter space to speak of, and the dinette and couch are side-by-side which isn't really conducive to conversation. It also sits higher than the 23SS because of the super-slide, that means that it'll tow 'heavier' because there's more frontal area exposed to the wind.

The 23SS, which we chose, has tons of usable space. With a U-shaped dinette and a larger couch, there's plenty of seating. The kitchen has counter space on all sides of the sink and range, there's room for the coffee maker, snacks, dishes, etc. There's also a LARGE closet and so many nooks and crannies that some of them are still empty.

On our last trip, we camped for four night with another couple and our two goldens. We never felt cramped, even when we were all inside.
That is great advise!! I think you just made up my mind to go with the Roo 23SS.
This is a wonderful site thanks all! 😃
Old 12-09-2011, 09:14 PM   #9

Congrats!!! Happy Camping!
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:51 AM   #10

New 23ss purchased last June, we had a blast with it out multiple times a month. I agree that there is alot if space our kids brought friends with no space issue. I have it in storage at this point and miss hanging out in it, my man cave in the drive! Can't wait till April, GAME ON!!!!
Namthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #11

21SS- bigger dance floor, no elbows poking you in the ribs as you pass thru.
23SS- More storage, more counter space.
Four of us plus a sheltie and a collie and we do just fine camping in the 23SS.
Mr.Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #12

Um 2?
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-man View Post
I'm going to buy a 2012 Roo in a few weeks and I am torn between a 21SS vs 23SS! Any advise or recommendations??

thanks
After years of searching, I was close to buying a KZ 21SS. However, on my last review I noticed that the 21SS had a large "dance floor" and very little storage compared to the 23SS. In the end I decided on a 2009 Rockwood Roo 23SS.

Last year we drove the rig across country from WI to OR and than from WI to TN. This totaled approximately 8,000 miles and we had no problems for the entire trip. The 23SS has been a very reliable HTT, and I have no problems recommended it.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23ss