Old 09-15-2016, 06:29 PM   #1

21SS Water Filter

Would like to remove & bypass our water filter. But, can hardly stick both hands in the confined space it's located in much less remove the filter housing. Any clues or suggestions? Many thanks.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzi View Post
Would like to remove & bypass our water filter. But, can hardly stick both hands in the confined space it's located in much less remove the filter housing. Any clues or suggestions? Many thanks.
Remove the barrier between the under-bed storage and the water filter area; just two or three screws into the floor. Between working in the water access door or laying on your belly through the cabinet, it can be done. Use push-on connectors so you don't have to mess with hose clamps. Replace the barrier when done.

After my water filter unscrewing itself twice, I removing and bypassing this filter was my first mod. I now use the in-line RV hose filters, which are much more convenient and cost effective.

Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 05:12 PM   #3
Summer2Go

I don't get how you big guys are not complaining about that small space for the water filter and water pump! I freaked when I saw what I had to reach through to get to everything. I have to stick my head and an arm in the storage compartment to get to anything, and I can't see diddly unless I can get close enough with a flashlight. Yes I unscrewed the partition wall, and I figured it out, but I'm pretty sure I'm one of the smaller owners.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 09-18-2016, 10:36 PM   #4

filter hoses screw into the filter. Get a coupler.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:29 AM   #5
cogito ergo moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
I don't get how you big guys are not complaining about that small space for the water filter and water pump! I freaked when I saw what I had to reach through to get to everything. I have to stick my head and an arm in the storage compartment to get to anything, and I can't see diddly unless I can get close enough with a flashlight. Yes I unscrewed the partition wall, and I figured it out, but I'm pretty sure I'm one of the smaller owners.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I spend entirely too much time working on vehicles. I find the compartment practically spacious compared to, say... Changing the timing belt on a Mazda 626 V6, or putting a starter on a Saturn SC2. In the case of the Saturn, apparently when they built the thing, they began with the starter and then assembled the entire car around it.

Tim
Nights Reserved 147121212125 ..........My Project Blog: https://cowracer.blogspot.com/

Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
I spend entirely too much time working on vehicles. I find the compartment practically spacious compared to, say... Changing the timing belt on a Mazda 626 V6, or putting a starter on a Saturn SC2. In the case of the Saturn, apparently when they built the thing, they began with the starter and then assembled the entire car around it.

Tim
Hear ya. Spent way too much time stuffing my 6 foot frame under dashboards and shoulder deep in engine compartments filled to the gills. (Of course I was younger, much thinner and more flexible back then. . . Now I cuss a lot more than I used to.)

But that experience paid off well when finding just the right way to slip the correct shoulder in first to get at that cussed connection while the rest of me looks rather comical in all kinds of ridiculous contortions. (BTW - Head lamps are a god-send! - IF you can actually see what you're reaching for. . .)
1999 SantaFe / 2001 Sienna
1967 Nimrod / 1998 Outback
Old Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #7

Thanks all. Had spent time working like Gumby on jet fighters but that was MANY decades ago. Now with a bad back & 2 fake knees, think I'll ask dealer what he'd charge when I take it in for some warranty work . Thanks for feedback
Old 09-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #8

Ask the dealer how much to remove the built in and then replace it with a blue torpedo from Walmart.

http://www.googleadservices.com/page...QvhcIKQ&adurl=

Very easy to use and replace and no need to be a Reed Richards.....
Old 09-21-2016, 10:50 AM   #9
cogito ergo moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Ask the dealer how much to remove the built in and then replace it with a blue torpedo from Walmart.

http://www.googleadservices.com/page...QvhcIKQ&adurl=

Very easy to use and replace and no need to be a Reed Richards.....
+100 internet points for the Fantastic 4 reference

Tim
Nights Reserved 147121212125 ..........My Project Blog: https://cowracer.blogspot.com/

Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #10

Unscrew the filter canister. Throw out the canister and filter. Unscrew the pipes going into the filter and replace with this coupler (not too tight). Get a Camco Blue for your hose. NEver worry about that internal filter unscrewing, cracking, or just having to get in there again to change it.

Tags
water, water filter