Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #1

21SS Winterizing

What I did:

Drained all the water from fresh, gray, black and hot water heater (After closing off the two valves). Removed fresh water filter.

Put antifreeze in the fresh water holding tank. Ran cold water taps in sink, bathroom sink, shower and commode until pink fluid came through. So far, so good.

TRIED to run water through HOT WATER taps. Nothing came out!

So, TWO questions...Why isn't there water/antifreeze in the hot water lines? What in the devil is the screened inlet next to the "City Water" inlet that is marked "antifreeze" for?

Will then put antifreeze in the traps.

Any comments/critisism/advice welcome.

~<:Sssssssssnake/""
Zsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #2

Not to discourage you, but it is best not to put the anti-freeze in your fresh water holding tank. It takes a lot to get it all out.

Did you by-pass your hot water heater? If not, you are not getting any to come out the hot lines because your are just filling the water heater (which will be another chore come spring) If you did by-pass it you may have a valve turned wrong.

I'm sure the hose bib marked antifreeze is what your suppose to use but I don't know much about your specific unit.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #3

Thanks for your quick response, Motocross, but the owners manual tells me to "Fill the tank above minimum water pump operation with RV antifreeze". Also it says to first turn the hot water tank valves off. They only have two positions and I turned them both off.

I will call the company during office hours (wanted to get this done today and they are closed)
Old 10-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsnake
Thanks for your quick response, Motocross, but the owners manual tells me to "Fill the tank above minimum water pump operation with RV antifreeze". Also it says to first turn the hot water tank valves off. They only have two positions and I turned them both off.

I will call the company during office hours (wanted to get this done today and they are closed)
I would not put antifreeze in your fw tank.
For one it may take up to 10 gallons for pump to pu ck up prime.
Second of all then you have to sanitize fw tank in the spring.

I'd get a winterize kit and do it that way via that.

Imo

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Site Team

NEVER use the generic owner's manual! it is worthless and has nothing to do with your particular model.

they say to put AF in the FW tank to cover their butts, but any RV forum will tell you NOT to do this. most that do, have to flush the FW tank over and over again to get the AF taste out.
there is no reason to put AF in something that is big enough to allow residual water to expand when freezing. this goes for the FW, hot water, black and gray tanks. simply drain them and what little water is left, will have plenty of room to expand.

the AF is for the water lines that are small and will crack/break if residual water freezes in them.

your 21SS is lucky to have the outside AF inlet. older Roos don't have this and require the separate winterizing kit. you should be able to just bypass the HW tank and just do the water lines.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan
NEVER use the generic owner's manual! it is worthless and has nothing to do with your particular model.

they say to put AF in the FW tank to cover their butts, but any RV forum will tell you NOT to do this. most that do, have to flush the FW tank over and over again to get the AF taste out.
there is no reason to put AF in something that is big enough to allow residual water to expand when freezing. this goes for the FW, hot water, black and gray tanks. simply drain them and what little water is left, will have plenty of room to expand.

the AF is for the water lines that are small and will crack/break if residual water freezes in them.

your 21SS is lucky to have the outside AF inlet. older Roos don't have this and require the separate winterizing kit. you should be able to just bypass the HW tank and just do the water lines.
Great advice!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #7

HERE IS THE DEAL ON THE 21SS Winterization........

As Bikendan said above..."there is no reason to put AF in something that is big enough to allow residual water to expand when freezing. this goes for the FW, hot water, black and gray tanks. simply drain them and what little water is left, will have plenty of room to expand."

The extra port marked "ANTIFREEZE" next to the "City Water" inlet is to let you by-pass the FW tank and put antifreeze directly into the pump of the unit. You will need a short piece of garden hose with a female end on it. You connect this end to the inlet and place the other end into the bottle of anti-freeze. The pump will draw the antifreeze out of the bottle and directly into your plumbing.

Additional hint...... there are THREE valves that you will need to close or open before starting to inject the antifreeze into your lines. The COLD water inlet into your hot water tank, the HOT water valve that lets the water into the system from the hot water tank(Both to the closed position) and the BI-PASS valve that circumvents the hot water system all together (OPEN this one).

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock