Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #1

Talking 233S in Texas heat?

I live near Houston Texas and I was wandering if anyone here on this site lives in a warmer area of the country that owns a 233S and how it does as far as staying cool during those hot days in Texas? I can go to pop gizmos and get the tent covers to knock out some of the heat but still a concern. Does anyone have problems with leaking on the tent pull downs? Thanks for any information.
klkdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome. I moved your post to its own thread so it gets some exposure.

Cant really answer your question about the heat as we're in Wisconsin.

I have had no leaks in the tent ends. None whatsoever!

Leaks happen in hybrids for a variety of reasons. Pinching material in between the seals when closing, not seasoning the tent ends before your first trip, roof leaks that appear near the tent ends and, yes, various manufacturer errors. Those last ones can be fixed under warranty. They happen but none of these are very common.

Good luck with your decision.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #3

We live in Houston area too! We are enjoying our Roo23SS. We spent last week-end in Galveston camping on the beach and so far the AC has been able to easily keep up. I know that is nothing like the heat that is yet to come. This will be our first summer with the hybrid trailer. We went ahead and got the gizmos on the advice of others on this site, but haven't used them yet. I'm hoping they won't block out too much light. As far as leaking, we have already experienced several significant rain showers and have not had any leaks. I'm a teacher and am anxiously counting the days until we leave on our first trip longer than 5 days!
wiesenbornk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:48 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses. I found them very useful as I continue to decide on what camper I will buy. Whatever we decide it will be a move up from our 1999 Coleman Niagra. I loved that camper since we raised our 3 children into young adults during the past years of camping.
klkdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:01 AM   #5

We, too, owned a '99 Niagara for 12 years and looked to replace it with a new version. They did not exist with regard to matching our '99 model. The 2010-12 PUPs just did look as good as the one we had for 12 years. We began last June looking at hybrids. After 6 weeks of searching, the 2012 233S Roo was purchased.

We live in Florida and have been through 2 trips to the beach in 85 degrees and had no trouble with the A/C. We camped in the mountains of GA. during Christmas with temps in the 30s and the heater was great. Our PUP was used in 100 degree temps in the Keys 3-4 times (on the beach) and its A/C ran all the time. The Roo's A/C is even better.

We bought "gizmos" for the 3 beds to protect the canvas from tree sap...lots of pine trees at our favorite campgrounds. The "gizmos" work to keep the heat and cold out. I used "solar blankets" with the PUP, but the wind would shake the aluminum and create too much noise. The "gizmos" were a good investment and the owner of the company is very helpful (yes, you can talk to him and not a call center). Many hybrids out there, but with 2 grandkids the 233S Roo fit us.
UPGRADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by klkdp
Thanks for the responses. I found them very useful as I continue to decide on what camper I will buy. Whatever we decide it will be a move up from our 1999 Coleman Niagra. I loved that camper since we raised our 3 children into young adults during the past years of camping.
We ran into the family that bought our old pop up from the family we sold it to ten years ago! Long story but a funny coincidence! The daughter of the family was in my third grade class last year when at a parent teacher conference they asked me if we had sold a pop up camper to the other couple ( the one they bought it from). When I said we had they pulled out pictures of their family on several trips enjoying it now! Last month we ran into them while camping at Huntsville State Park. They came over to our site and we had a lovely chat. It makes me happy to know that the camper that gave my boys so much fun while they were growing up is still on the road making memories! It has to be over 20 years old and still looks great!
wiesenbornk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
jbdbsb

Hello.
Well did you find a solution? Have you checked out "Gizmo's" website?
On our 233S I went to the local home improvement store (Home Depot) and bought a couple rolls of their aluminum/foil backed insulation. It's very light. One roll is about $25.00 and can cover two bunk tops. I cut it to size and like "Gizmo's" used small clips to attach to bunk ends. On particularly windy spots, I added a thin rope/twine over the bunkend and then tide underneath. With these covers and the windows open, it stays pretty nice. I've yet to use the A/C. We tend to dry camp 99% of the time.
Also, these type of covers reduce the condensation on cold nights. We were' recently at the Grand Canyon and it snowed the first night, but with the cover and layer of snow acted like an igloo to trap the heat in and the inside canvas was dry!
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	14535   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0024.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	14536  
jbdbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #8

We are on the coast in Mississippi,very hott and humid . We have a shamrock 233s same as the roo with different decals ,the A/C works well on cooler days or in the shade but in direct sunlight you can forget about it cooling. We have the reflectix in the windows and the space blankets from cabelas instead of gizmos but they are the same .If you are out in the heat of the day and come in it feels cool and at night it will get cold ... But then i am talking cold since i like it that way its been down to 67 on high at night . so depending on where you are set up it will do ok ,but my next camper will be a TT with bunks for the kids...
shamrock233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #9

In our 21SS, the AC has a hard time cooling off into the bunk ends. Popup Gizmos certainly help, but when it is hot outside it is difficult to stay cool in the beds; however, if you stay in the main part of the camper you can stay reasonably cool during the heat of the day. Another option, although it is a pain in the butt, is to fold up the beds during the hottest part of the day. In my driveway with the beds folded up the interior will be downright cold with the AC on, even in 100+ temps. But that is a dry heat, not sure how it will do in humidity. Most of our camping is in the mountains though, so heat is not usually an issue.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #10

We just spent the last 10 days in North Carolina with our 23SS temps were high 80s to low 90s with lots of humidity. The AC tries to keep up but just can't in that situation with sun blazing down! We have found that if we close the privacy curtains on the bunk ends that helps somewhat. We also have the pop up gizmos and those definitely make a huge difference I highly recommend them.
Overall I was happy with our AC it kept the trailer cool enough in the day to make it a nice retreat from the heat and humidity, and at night after the sun went down it got downright cold! As low as 63 inside! That's when I really want the air anyway...to make sleeping possible.
lriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #11

Those that had problem with the AC keeping it cool during the day - were you camping in the shade or in full sun? We are planning a week long trip in August to the Gatlinburg TN area where it will be HOT and are trying to pick a campground. There is one we really like but it is full sun so I am thinking this might not be the best place to stay. I am going to get PUG or solar covers for the ends because I roast camping locally when it is sunny in the morning.

Nights Camped in 2012 - 88
2012 Puma 31 KBH
2010 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
2008 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
tolley31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #12

If you will be in full sun its going to be hott in the camper,full shade is alot better but here in ms we have 100% humidity and and every lil bit helps. We have the reflectix and the blankets from cabelas and they make a difference. Oh and we also use the fuzzy covered vent plug to keep out more heat..
shamrock233s is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s