Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #1

233s Owners Unite!

Okay, I thought it would be fun to have our own thread since so many new owners are popping up. I'd love to hear about your modifications/pictures, problems, solutions, anything that could help other owners. Don't forget an introduction!!

I'm Kristina, I live in Waterford Michigan. My husband and I have 5 children and we outgrew our Fleetwood Sea Pine years ago! We decided it was time to upgrade when we packed up the PUP at 10pm to avoid the rain that was coming on our last day on vacation. We were looking at the 183, but our Honda Pilot couldn't tow it, so we upgraded tow vehicle to a Suburban and then decided bigger is better! Our purchase was final February 12th, but decided to keep it there until spring. With dance recitals and hockey, we'll pick it up on the 19th, the only open weekend for the next 2 months.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #2

Kristina,

Dave here (drs244), My Roo 233s gets delivered this Saturday. My wife and I are excited because our three daughters don't know about the surprise. Can't wait to see the look on their faces when they discover the camper in front of the house is for them. We are moving up from a 1983 Starcraft PUP with no A/C, No Heat, No Toilet so this will be a fun spring/summer. Happy camping.

Dave
drs244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
ve6dave

Hi all,

We sold of our 1989 Jayco 1006 PUP last spring after we placed the order for our 233S in February. We ordered our 233S from RVDirect and then drove to Elkhart, Indiana to pick it up. The drive took us five days to get there and we took the month of July to camp our way back home. To put this in perspective we live just outside of Edmonton, Alberta. We drove through 14 states during our holiday. Saw some great places, sampled wonderful food such as actual deep dish pizza in Chicago. Upon arriving home, we sat back on the couch in the 233S and wondered aloud whether there was anything that we didn't like about the trailer or would like to change. We really couldn't come up with anything.

We have done some minor modifications such as installing shelves in the tall and short wardrobes, changed the thermostat to a digital thermostat. This spring we will be changing lights to LEDs (all of the dome lights and also a strip of LEDs along the underside of the awning). I am also working towards adding solar power to the mix.

The trailer comes out of storage the beginning of May and hopefully by then the snow will be gone (been an unusually heavy snow year). This being the case, we are really looking forward to our first camping trip.
ve6dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
rbq

Ralph (rbq) here. Just picked up our 233S over a week ago. We have been in a 1985 Coleman Shenandoah PUP which we bought brand new. Got tired of having to crawl under the beds to put up the bed supports and raising & lowering the roof. We do like sleeping under canvas though. Love hearing the good night sounds, (coyotes, owls, skunks in the garbage!, ok the skunks in the garbage was not a good sound.) We have found due to the different RV forums that the use of reflectix & home made solar covers that it has made the different climate conditions much easier to camp in, so we will be adding them to the Roo. Some will think that we are nuts getting a trailer with 3 fold out beds when there are only the 2 of us most of the time, but the wife wanted this trailer so when the kids & grandkids come along. She did say that she doesn't want to have to climb over me in the night so we will probably be in the 2 rear beds. We'll see how that works out.
The first mod done was to install a battery cutoff switch last weekend. I ordered the switch online and bolted it to the battery box. Before I started the job I had disconnect the shore power, but then when I realized that the bolts were too long for the battery I reconnected the power so that I could use the power outlet on the side of the trailer to run my grinder. Once I got the battery back in the box & hooked up I flipped the switch to off & checked in the trailer to see that everything was off, but it wasn't. This perplexed me & I thought I had a bad switch. I walked around the trailer & saw the power cord plugged in & then realized that I was the one that was bad. Cutoff switch doesn't kill power to the trailer when hooked up to shore power. Pulled the plug & what do know the switch worked the way it should have. Lesson learned.
Looking forward to getting to know some of the rest of you.
rbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:14 AM   #5

Greetings,

Dwayne (buckeyecmpr) here. We are located in a suburb just north of Cincinnati. It's me, my wife, four kids and a big mutt. We purchased our 2011 233s last June, so we've had ours a bit. Used to tent camp way back when...been through three different popups since 1999 (2 Palominos and a Starcraft) and finally decided to make the move for more space and comfort. We wanted to get as much room as possible, while keeping the weight in check.

Haven't really made any substantial mods...yet. Besides putting some pegboard in the front outside storage compartment, it's been pretty much stock-and-go. I did, however, just install a 12v fan inside the fridge...haven't used the camper since install so we'll have to see how it works, soon. I think we camped over 30 nights last season between the popup and hybrid with very few issues. Some small things we did have issues with:

Leaky bunk ends...at the seams, not while traveling. This occurred even after numerous trips where the bunk ends were "seasoned". Dealer sealed the seams, but we haven't used it yet. Also had some problems with the slideout sticking. Dealer adjusted, we'll see if it holds up. Minor things like bulbs already going out, locks not working or needing lube...just the normal maintenance stuff you deal with, just wish it would have been a little longer down the road. One thing that bugs me, and forgot about while it was in for service is the hot water knob on both the interior shower and outside shower are backwards. Seems to be a FR thing as someone started a thread on that last week.

We absolutely love our camper and can't wait to get it back out. Glad to see that others are getting the 233s. Can't wait to trade some more tips and tricks with everyone! Plenty of mods on my list for this year! Happy camping!

2019 Vibe 261BHS
2021 RAM 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
5.7L Hemi, 3.92 rear
Husky Centerline TS WD Hitch
Buckeyecmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #6

Greetings,
I am Bob and my wife Tonya grew up in Fla and now call Cullowhee, NC in the Smoky Mountains home. Have lived here now for 6 years. Tonya and I really enjoy the mountains and hiking, but our camping has taken so many twists and turns. We have 3 kids ages 15 to 10 and they have been campers since their birth. My second child, Kyle, contracted group b strep during labor and he is severely disabled including being cortically blind.

We started out tent camping and enjoyed it alot, but as my son got older he would wake up at night and play with the tent as he liked the sounds it made when he would rub it and so forth...he is blind so sound is big for him. We still camp in the woods, but now we search for water and bring out boat along.

We then graduated to a Coleman Mesa pup and it allowed us to bring a caregiver along as we had our 3rd. Funny thing is kids grow, who would have thunk it...so we stepped up to a 30 footer RVision Featherlight. Loved that camper until last August Tonya was blown off the I75 where she lost control jack knifed the camper and went across 3 lanes of traffic. The kids and her were safe and nobody else injured, that is all that matters there.

So we were looking at other big tts and decided to down size while upsizing the sleeping and the Roo 233S was the ticket for us. We took delivery of our Roo this past Sunday. I thought I really liked it at the dealer lot, but once we got it here I really like the space and the layout. Our kids did not go to Atlanta with us to look for campers so while they knew about it, they have never seen it. They loved it, even my teenager (lol)...and my son, he enjoyed the beds and yep he did rub the sides a little....

We did get the heated tank options as we enjoy camping here in the mountains in the fall and winter from time to time and even on a brisk fall October day at night it can easily get into the 20s here.

We dont have a ton of mods on the board, but when we do them we will let yall know. I know she is a little dirty being hauled from Indiana to NC and maybe a good wash and wax are in order when it warms up.

Growing up we had a Jayco pup and every SP or NP or place like Wall Drug we would get a goofy travel sticker. We continued this tradtion and had a nice collection going on the RVision...now we have to start all over again and I look forward to the collection growing....
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
rbq

Guess I could at least say where we are located. We're in West Valley City, Utah. Have traveled over most of the western states, pulling the PUP with us. Now it will be the Roo.
rbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #8

Count us in!!! We take delivery on 3/25!

Movin' on up from a '97 Coleman Sea Pine pup. No bathroom in the pup, so dumpin' tanks & dealing with hoses will be a new experience. Never towed anything this big before either so, lots of firsts to come!

New adventures..... gotta love 'em.
Flashg_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #9

Steve congrats wife was shocked at how quick i was able to back it into the driveway Longer wheelbase easier to manuever for me! Now holding tanks and all these other luxurys i dont know about yet either
tking01_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #10

Yeah I agree, shorter wheel base trailers are tricky in backing...my little 16 foot Carolina Skiff's trailer can be a hassle backing down ramps...The Roo is very easy to tow and back up...
Old 03-14-2011, 09:13 AM   #11

My 233S has arrived. Saturday morning RVW pulled up in front of the home with my ROO in tow. Kids went nuts when they saw the trailer. Hopefully my hearing will return in the next month. I'll add pictures as soon as I take some.
I opened it for the first time yesterday and discovered water on the front bed. The other two beds were bone dry. I know others have mentioned water entering the front bunk but didn't think much about it until it happened to me. It dried rather quickly with the breeze blowing through the camper so no major issues but still concerned. The seals look good so I'm thinking the dealer might have closed a piece of fabric in the door seal after the pre delivery inspection. It is supposed to rain tomorrow so I'll find out if my theory is correct. I closed it up before going to bed last night and made certain everything was tucked in properly. It was so much easier than the PUP. More details to come after the rain.
One more thing, did a television come with your 233s? Mine did not but I thought it was a standard item.

Dave
Old 03-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #12

I don't think a TV is included. It's not on mine.
Previously:
Old 03-14-2011, 11:46 AM   #13

Dave,
Congrats! My front bunk was wet too!!! I was told the prep company took it through a truck wash with high pressure jets. They drove from Elkhart to NC in a really bad rain all the way too...I am hoping this is not an issue. Fortunately for us we will store ours in a metal pole barn shed so weather during storage will not be an issue. Next to our boat it seems rather small all packed up, but once those beds are out and the slide extended she sure does have the space. My kids too were all jacked up when they saw ours arrive... We will get pictures soon too
Old 03-14-2011, 06:33 PM   #14

Just got some good news, we pick up the Roo Friday morning instead of Saturday!
Previously:
Old 03-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #15

Bob,

I feel better knowing that I am not the only one with a wet front bunk. Hopefully your explanation of the truck wash is the problem and I don't have further issues.

Kristina,

Great news on the pick up. Wear ear protection if the kids are going to be with you.

Dave
Old 03-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs244 View Post
Bob,

I feel better knowing that I am not the only one with a wet front bunk. Hopefully your explanation of the truck wash is the problem and I don't have further issues.

Kristina,

Great news on the pick up. Wear ear protection if the kids are going to be with you.

Dave

LOL, luckily 3 of them will be in school and the other 2 at Grandma's! And we have a school function Friday night, so no time to play in the camper until Saturday.
Previously:
Old 03-15-2011, 08:48 AM   #17

Dave,
We go to Fla in 3 weeks. If we encounter rain on our way down there that will tell the story to me. If the front bunk gets wet while driving, then the seal is an issue. Time will tell.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #18

Hey Folks,

We just purchased the 233S and are picking it up tomorrow. We are very excited and are already planning our first trip with the kids (3). The posts are great information and I look forward to more information being posted. This is our first TT and does anybody have any hints about the Roo 233S that we need to be aware of before we get going on our first trip? Thanks in advance!!!

Greg
rgregdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #19

Side Room

Pick a site with side room we had to move ours first trip out saturday had to hook up and unplug to move over to clear the tree to get the side bed down! still 45 min total set up in the rain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Watch side room when picking a site.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	4943  
tking01_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #20

Thanks Tking01 2000!!! Good info!
rgregdavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s