Old 01-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
cogito ergo moo

Thats one of the nice things about having a 21SSL. Pretty much impossible to bonk your head on the front bunk corners.

LOL

TIm

Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by force View Post
Yes...and I use pool noodles, in as non-kludgy a way as possible

Looking at your photo of the 233S and noticed the canvas material doesn't cover the corners and edges like my 2011 model. Is this a change in design in newer models?

Old 02-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelers View Post
Looking at your photo of the 233S and noticed the canvas material doesn't cover the corners and edges like my 2011 model. Is this a change in design in newer models?
Yes. They changed the tent ends so now they are permanently attached and they are shorter - no flap to cover the outside edge.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Yes. They changed the tent ends so now they are permanently attached and they are shorter - no flap to cover the outside edge.

Hmmm.
I'll be at the Atlantic City RV show next weekend. I'll have to look around for the new Roos and check it out.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
Moderators' Assistant

yep, when they discontinued the snaps/bungee tent ends, they went to the pre-attached canvas which doesn't cover the edges of the bunk doors.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #16

I assume that also helps with water intrusion when the bunk is closed. Hope to see a Forest River rep at the show.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #17
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelers View Post
I assume that also helps with water intrusion when the bunk is closed. Hope to see a Forest River rep at the show.
not sure what you are thinking helps with water intrusion when the bunk end is closed.
the pre-attached canvas? water intrusion has to do with the seals around the door, when it's closed, and has nothing to do with the canvas.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 02-10-2014, 05:51 AM   #18

I'm thinking he is talking about if the water does happen to get by the outside seal and sneaks in the canvas is already attached and sealed so the water would have less of a chance to get into the unit...
Old 02-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by urocav2001 View Post
I'm thinking he is talking about if the water does happen to get by the outside seal and sneaks in the canvas is already attached and sealed so the water would have less of a chance to get into the unit...

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I've had to modify my 2011 233S to keep water from getting past the seal. Once it does, there is no second preventative measure.

The canvas being sealed to the bunk might prevent any water passing the seal from entering the unit. I'll look at the new units at the shows.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:03 PM   #20
Moderators' Assistant

the pre-attached canvas will not prevent the water from intruding into the hinge area, which is generally where all the problems occur because the water will pool there.
either the wood around the hinge area gets soft or leaks into the storage area underneath or it can be absorbed into the bunk door at the hinge and cause delam.
the current canvas doesn't prevent that, anymore than the older style. if you look at it, which i have carefully, the canvas tent end "bridges" over the hinge area but has no effect in stopping water that gets past the seals to pool in the hinge.
the only thing it does is prevent water entering the canvas tent from the edges.

that's why good seals and constant vigilance/maintenance is the key.

Tags
233, 233s