Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2011, 11:10 AM   #1

233s Shakedown Cruise

A little late but that seems to be the story of my life.

Our shakedown cruise was over Memorial weekend and we had our share of issues but nothing show stopping.

· Our fridge didn't work so we did the ice in bags trick to keep food from spoiling. Local dealer (Restless Wheels, Manassas, VA) fixed the problem and all is well.
· Making the beds was difficult and never thought about making them from the outside until reading comments from others. It occurred to me after we got home that all the bunks have emergency zippers to open the tent as an escape route. From now on I will set up the bunks and have one of the kids unzip from the inside to make the beds.
· We learned that 30 gallon gray/black waste tanks fill very quickly when you don’t have the ability to dump at the site. Need to stress to the children not to let the water run while brushing teeth or washing hands. Dishes are difficult to wash in the sink so we purchased two utility tubs and fill with hot water and wash/rinse outside.
· We also took way too much stuff, “just in case”. After returning I emptied the TT and only put back what we actually need/used.
· We have the same type of hanging shelves as most in the wardrobe near the bathroom; (http://www.target.com/Whitmor-Hanging-Shoe-Shelves/dp/B002OENGDS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&keywords=hanging%20shoe&searchS ize=30&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=1038576%7C128 7991011&searchPage=1&fromGsearch=true&sr=1-5&qid=1308153185&rh=&searchBinNameList=subjectbin% 2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchRank=target104545&frombrowse=0)we stored the towels/washcloths in there and fortunately they stayed put.
· I added a grab bar on the screen door to keep the children’s fingers off the screen (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/screen-door-cross-bar/35872). Still considering adding a lower screen protector (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/screen-door-grill/4374) to keep the dogs from clawing their way out. Thankfully they are very relaxed as long as they can see us, all is good. They enjoy the A/C as much as we do and have no desire to exit into the heat/humidity unless nature calls.
· Added a hitch level to the trailer, very easy to install and works great. (http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/products/levels/hitch_level.html)
· Considering getting a hanging basket for fruit (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/180-9837679-6212614?asin=B00160LE7Q&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B00 160LE7Q).
· Added Oxygenic heads to both inside and outside showers.
· I added an additional Oxygenics handheld wand holder to the outside corner between the rear and side bunks for the outside shower; high enough for us to take showers without having to hold the darn thing. Works great and keeps the inside bath from flooding. We place a wood shower deck (http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/portable-shower-deck/24478) on the ground to keep the mud off our feet. Obviously this will only work during the warmer times and bathing suits are a must unless you use a shower tent/enclosure or some type of screening (http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=735058&type=product&WT.tsrc= CSE&WT.mc_id=nextag&WT.z_mc_id1=735058&rid=40&mr:r eferralID=946f08e5-9762-11e0-be22-001b2166becc).
· Still haven’t figured out what should be stored where and probably never will.
· Must remember to bring a cooler for the drinks (soda/beer) and keep the fridge for food/milk.
· My wife and girls pack suit cases as if we are flying to the other side of the world. This is something that needs to be work on.
· My daughters pack makeup and curling irons just in case Justin Bieber happens to show up at our campsite. Another thing I need to work on.
o Note to self…pack shotgun and cleaning supplies.

· Why does it seem that camping was a lot more fun as a kid…I remember now, my parents did all the work while we went and played.

· And life continues………………………………until next time, have a great summer.

V/r,

Dave and Family
drs244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #2
Camper, Hiker, Woodworker

Sounds like things went well for you. On our first trip, the kitchen drawers fell out as the interior frames fell apart. Nothing like rebuilding the cabinet on your first trip.

2008 19' Rockwood Roo
2007 Dodge Dakota
rnalbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #3

I use tubs to wash and rinse dishes. It's the best way I've found to conserve water. Too funny about Bieber, I'm lucky my girls aren't into him, I credit not having cable for that! LOL I am considering buying something like this for our longer camping trips.

Thanks for the report, I'm glad you guys had a great time!
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

That's great. Sound like a good shakedown.

I also just installed the Oxygenics and the push bar. We'll see how our dog does before I put in the lower screen.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
I am considering buying something like this for our longer camping trips.
Where in, on or under the Roo do you think you'll store the tank in while trailering? I'm considering it, too, but don't want it in the camper if I can help it.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 06-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #6

I've been thinking about where I'd store it. Ideally under the camper, but not sure how.
Previously:
Old 06-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Where in, on or under the Roo do you think you'll store the tank in while trailering? I'm considering it, too, but don't want it in the camper if I can help it.
just a note. most use a portable tank for GRAY water, not black water, since gray tanks fill way faster than black tanks.
so, for me, i have no problem with my Barker inside.
i've never come close to filling my black tank and refuse to use my tote for it.

second, the Thetford linked above, has terrible reviews and the majority of RVers recommend the Barker.
do a search on RV.net and other forums on portable totes.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Good points, bikendan.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 06-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #9

I hadn't researched brand, just linking to a tank. Thanks for the info though.
Previously:
Old 06-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
Site Team

You might be fighting a lossing battle with the girls and curling irons but could try limiting each person to 1 bag (with size limit). It would be up to each person what they do or do not bring. But then I'm not sure how tossing a duffle bag to each person and saying "here's your bag" would turn out for you.... It could work well or on the other hand not well at all.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #11

Dave - congrats on a successful shakedown. I'm ordering the portable shower deck tonight. We have several "swimming" trips planned this summer and will be using the outside shower often. I also like the hitch level. Where exactly did you mount it?

Chris
Manassas, VA
2011 camping days booked - 18 and counting
allards5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:00 AM   #12

Chris,

Real easy to mount in front of the tongue jack. The difficult part is after you install the level. You need to find a flat and level spot to zero the guage. Once that is done it is spot on from there on out.

Dave
Old 06-16-2011, 09:11 AM   #13

Terier,

The odds are not in my favor when it comes to packing. With my wife and three daughters I'm lucky to even get some room inside the camper. If they had it their way all beds and seating areas would be for clothes and beauty supplies.

No one to blame but myself ; When I said "I Do", I meant it so now I take the good with the bad.
My dogs are real good about sharing their beds with me if needed and they don't ask questions.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #14
Site Team

I understand. The good side is that they are joining in on the fun and family time is so valuable these days. Great memories...

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #15

Amen to that
Old 06-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #16

Good idea on the level. We took our new Roo 233S out last weekend. I used a "bullseye" level on the hitch, just set it there while I got things leveled.

Has anyone ever installed a larger fresh water tank in a 233s? On the first trip we went through the fresh water and had plenty of room left in the gray/black.
kashnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:36 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashnelson View Post
Good idea on the level. We took our new Roo 233S out last weekend. I used a "bullseye" level on the hitch, just set it there while I got things leveled.
My hitch is not on the same plane as the trailer frame. I "rough" level with a stick on bubble on the tongue, then fine tune it on the trailer floor or cabinet just inside the door.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:18 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashnelson View Post
Has anyone ever installed a larger fresh water tank in a 233s? On the first trip we went through the fresh water and had plenty of room left in the gray/black.
i've never seen anyone install a larger one on a Roo/Shamrock.
of course, you have room left in the other tanks. they are a total of 60 gallons and your FW tank is only 36 gallons.
the extra on the G/B tanks is mainly for those with hookups, since they have an unlimited amount of water available.
those of us who dry camp, have to resort to shuttling water. but, since we popup camped for 17 years, we've learned water conservation and can go 5-6 days without adding water.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s