Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
Adventurer

233s wood panel in fridge door slid down -- 2nd Time

The wood panel of the fridge door popped the bottom plastic support rail out AGAIN. i had taken it back to the dealer the first week i had the camper home for this same issue and was told that it was secured and it wouldn't happen again.

This issue caused a new problem too. The wood panel fell directly onto the battery disconnect button and severed it completely. the stem of the button was snapped directly flush with the base attached to the wall so i currently don't have a way (at least from a button perspective) to determine if it was snapped when the switch was in or out.

i noticed others on this forum had similar issues with their wood paneled fridge doors as well.

This is definitely a design issue!

I was eventually able to get the top firdge rail off and pull the panel up through the top and am storing it. The front of the fridge now has a "stainless steel" look courtesy of the metalic looking insulation.

Wasn't planning on having to make another 1 hour drive to the dealer before our westward trip but this warranty issue will also enable me to fix a mishap that occurred during DW's maiden voyage.
Local Ohio CGs - West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Is there any sign of glue used on the inside of the fridge panel? My fridge panel is glued for life. The service techs can't get it out without risk of damaging the insulation.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #3
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier
Is there any sign of glue used on the inside of the fridge panel? My fridge panel is glued for life. The service techs can't get it out without risk of damaging the insulation.
No sign of glue. tech who repaired it last time stated he used a screw somehow at the base to secure it, but i didn't see any screw today when i struggled to get the panel the ret of the way off the door.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #4

Ours dropped while we were on our first extended trip. And like you , it dropped right on the battery disconnect switch and snapped it clean off. Fortunately, we had it on "battery connected" at the time so I didn't have to do any camp site surgery. I emailed Gregg @ Forest River and within an hour he emailed back to say that a new switch was on the way to my house.

I had explained that I was going to go ahead and try the double sided tape as a fix. His response was to keep him informed as to how it worked out and if it wasn't doing the job to let him know and we'd figure something else out.

While several others have complained about this issue, I believe mine had to do with the roads we were on while driving across the Upper Peninsula of Michigan along Lake Superior. The GPS dumped us on to a gravel/dirt road for about 30 miles that had a ton of bumps and dips. I am sure that that is when the plastic frame on the bottom started coming undone.
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
Adventurer

Got my Roo back yesterday. The technician stated he drilled screws into the bottom of either the support bracket or the panel itself. Hopefully the screws will resolve this issue.

The dealer commented that they hadn't experienced this issue last year, but they had many customers bring their trailers in this year for this issue.

Definitely appears to be a design/engineering problem.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #6

While walking around Home Depot, I found some 3M brand double sided foam tape that was labeled for "outdoor" use. The packaging does say to make sure that you are putting it where you want it as it can be fairly permanent and that surface damage could result if you try to remove it.

I popped the top plastic off the door and fully removed the wood panel. I ran 2 vertical strips of the tape on the door on each side where the panel slides in. It was a bit tight getting the door all the way back into place. But what I can report is that there is no way it is going anywhere now. The door and the panel are now "one with each other".

So between this fix and the easy fix to the battery disconnect that broke, I'm a happy camper!
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s