Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #41
ENE

I walked into a Trailer and one of the closet cabinet doors was warped. The dealer said that was probably in spec and would not do anything to fix it. The other problem was the bedroom door was 1" smaller width wise or the door frame was 1" wider than the door. The door latch button didn't even come close to the strike plate. Dealer said they would fix that.
Why wouldn't a dealer fix things right away before selling them is beyond me. We will never go back to that dealer or ever buy anything from them.
I think quality control is absent from production, anything wrong will have to be fix by the dealers.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #42

How do you know when a dealer is lying? "The dealer said..."
Old 10-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #43

Earl, this is just like the auto industry. When you go and look at a new car and see it has scratches or a small ding, they won't fix it until they have a sale.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:13 AM   #44
ENE

My new truck had a small dimple new the edge of the drivers door. You can't see it straight on but notice it looking down the side in the light. The dealer said they would do more damage to repair. They would have to sand down the drivers door and rear passenger to blend it and it will probably discolor later. I guess I will just leave it alone, probably get another dent to match it later anyway.
There were some stains on the chrome bumper I haven't been able to rub out with all kinds of polish and cleaner. I guess just call that a beauty mark : )
Old 10-05-2015, 12:26 PM   #45

We had some minor fit and finish issues just make sure anything you see they write it down, don't let them rush you thought the PDI to sign their papers, they will or should fix everything

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 10-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #46
ENE

My wife has eyes like a hawk : )
Old 10-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlariWild View Post
Rockwood is supposed to be the best of the best in this market.
Not sure where you got that idea.

I'm a fan of my Roo and have had positive dealings regarding warranty issues.
But I wouldn't say they're the Best of the Best.
IMHO, FR hybrids are a little behind Jayco and Starcraft hybrids in quality and fit/finish.
I consider Jayco/Starcraft as the best in this. This is based on my personal inspections of all brands and reading posts on various Hybrid forums for the past 12 years.

But Roos/Shamrocks are a close second.

Where Roo/Shamrock hybrids excel is in the variety of floorplans and continuing to to innovate.
Remember, they were first with the 3 bed hybrid, the 233. Then they were first with the 3 bed hybrid with a slideout, the 233S. Both of these were copied by other manufacturers.
Now they're the first with a hybrid that has opposing slideouts, the 23IKSS.
And now they've tweaked the venerable 23SS floorplan with the new 23WS.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:54 PM   #48

We looked at Starcraft and Jayco's when we bought our Roo, and felt the Roo was much higher quality than either of them. That's why we bought the Roo!

Doesn't mean you won't have issues, though.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #49

Jayco bought out Starcraft 6 years ago.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:42 PM   #50

So it looks like we are going with a 2016 with the previous floorplan. We found a couple of campers that had the options we wanted. The one we are going with is 14 hours away in Arkansas. We will be putting a deposit on it tomorrow. It was a tuff decision. There was a Shamrock in Tallahassee, but it only has a 13.5K BTU A/C, and in Florida I really want a 15K. Plus we have never been in a Shamrock before and haven't see the colors in person. The pictures sometimes can be deceiving do to poor lighting or camera quality.

So with that being said, I am really interested in hearing how well roo's hold up in the long run.

Thanks
AlariWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:57 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
We looked at Starcraft and Jayco's when we bought our Roo, and felt the Roo was much higher quality than either of them. That's why we bought the Roo!

Doesn't mean you won't have issues, though.

I have to agree. I looked at alot of jayco's and just felt they didn't seem as polished. But I hadn't seen a Rockwood in as poor of a state as the one I looked at this weekend either when previously comparing.

I did really like one of the Jayco floorplans though. The one with the really long couch I thought was cool, except for the super cheap looking tables they give you with it. My wife however didn't like that floorplan as much. She wanted a booth dinette. I don't really remember what it's storage was like though.
AlariWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:44 AM   #52
ENE

The dealers sometimes will use stock photos or they will take pictures of one of the same 6 trailers and use the one set of photos for all 6 trailers knowing that some of the trailers might have some minor options or colors and a minor change in the floor plan.
That's why you have to ask the dealer the stock number of the trailer and is this the actual picture of that stock number. The trailer manufacture can make changes to the trailer like with linen closets or kitchen drawers. Some bedroom closets will have dual matching closets on either side of the bed then change it to one closet and a nightstand on other side.
I wouldn't want to drive 1000 miles only see it wasn't the exact floor plan or configuration we want. Have seen some where the dealer actually had the wrong model number, example;
272RLS instead of 272RL. I also seen some trailer pictures where a particular model actually had a picture of another model mixed in with another model.
Just be triple sure before you drive a long distance that it is actually the one you are looking at online.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:28 AM   #53
ENE

Jayco is rated a 8.5 out of 10 by the consumer comparison guide. It's consider the middle of the pack. (low end, middle, high end).
Rockwood was one of my favorites. They had some unique floor plans different from everyone else.
Old 10-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #54

Island Measurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
My 2015.0 does not have the sink bump out. Base measure 20x45x58. I would imagine yours has the same dimensions.
Mine looks exactly like Wicked 1's (except for DW's styling accents - bear motif).

Base measurement is 57 1/2" x 17" depth. Add another 3 5/8" for the bump. I didn't bother measuring the short or angled sides.

Countertop measurement is 60" long side x 28" deep.

I still can't get by several things: 1) sitting on my sofa I have a direct view of the entertainment center and door. With the new layout I would have a direct view of the island (not what I want to see); 2) location of the tv by the door and poor viewing angles; 3) thermostat mounted on the side wall in a narrow hall; 4) that room with the door.

I really wanted to like the shower as I think it looks great. When I stepped inside one I didn't seem to have any more room than the current one and in fact it is more restrictive than the curtain.

If everyone liked the same thing there would be only one floor plan. It just doesn't work for me.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:44 PM   #55

I had a 2010 Starcraft 21rbss. Very similar to the Roo 21SS. 2 yr bumper to bumper warrantee and 5 year tent. The only issue I had was the taillights held water which caused the light bulb socket to rust. 2 years in, and a local dealer who I did not purchase it from, did the work. So why did I replace it after just 5 years? My boss was interested in getting a pup (so his family could camp while he was doing the panmass challenge at Cape Cod). While researching pups, I spotted the ikss. Showed it to my DW. A new FR dealer opened nearby. So we decided to take a look. Salesman, no pressure, just told him we wanted to see the htt with a kitchen slide. She fell in love with it. I went back to my Starcraft dealer who also sells FR's and got a quote. When I brought that back into the local dealer, they topped the trade by another 4k and dropped the htt another 2k. It was too much of a win. (Though I've had a lot more issue with my Roo then the Starcraft, I still enjoy the Roo more).
Old 10-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
Mine looks exactly like Wicked 1's (except for DW's styling accents - bear motif).

Base measurement is 57 1/2" x 17" depth. Add another 3 5/8" for the bump. I didn't bother measuring the short or angled sides.

Countertop measurement is 60" long side x 28" deep.
17" deep? I wonder why. I wonder if your dinette is deeper? Counter top measures the same. Pass thru doors are nice. Not sure if the 3rd door like Sewingcybermom has is a loss. Though I have to think of an access to the triangle portion of the island. Already lost a pack of coffee filters in there.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:16 AM   #57
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

It appears they made the base cabinet of the island smaller, keeping the counter and sink the same, was to provide more clearance for the dinette when the slide was retracted.

Reading a few other posts there are reports of scratches on the island from the two rubbing. In a few posts they have reported the island has come loose from the floor. In one case I read the island just fell apart.

So it makes sense FR would changes this and not highlight the change. Now with them flipping the couch & dinette the clearance should be ample, could we see a return of the large base cabinet for the island?

I wrote to RVW and FR about posting the new model changes. RVW stated once they get the info they would post? But they have already posted the new 23WS. Our dealers have posted pictures of the new color schemes? So the information is available to the dealers. FR first told me they would post after the Dealer Open House to show off the new changed, that was several days ago. I wrote FR again and they stated real soon. They offered to mail me a new brochure. It been a week, so I will go and check the mail today?

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
Though I have to think of an access to the triangle portion of the island. Already lost a pack of coffee filters in there.
Ha! We lost a fly swatter down there though my wife managed to retrieve it with some tongs from our kitchen stuff. We do need to be careful not to let some fall down there.
drhroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #59
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Just received the new 2016 Roo Brochure!

Please see this post for a quick run down of the changes I see:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ad.php?t=94255

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote