Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 03:59 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Just odd that they would change the 23IKSS and add the 23WS and not mention all this in their website.
FR never "mentions" changes on their website.
And website floorplan/decor/feature changes often lag months after they begin showing up on dealer lots.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Attachment 90183

Late 2015 I Only have the two drawers, I do not have doors on my cabinet under the counter next to the stove

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
My 2015.0 does not have the sink bump out. Base measure 20x45x58. I would imagine yours has the same dimensions.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:15 PM   #23

@elundquist, Ours is titled as a 2014. We have the three drawers beside the stove and a door to the left of them that also has an outside access. Full size island with doors on three sides. Looking at all the iterations of the 23ikss, I am glad we bought ours when we did. I still like the shower on the 2016.5!!
Nccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:03 PM   #24
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

23IKSS Floorplan Confusion.

Nccamper,

Thanks for the info, in my one post I messed up the dates. In that post the 2012/2013 should be 2013/2014. What I listed for 2011/2012 should be part of the 2013/2014.

Yes I do remember the island having the third door on the side. I think you might have an early 2014.

It's hard to really document what changes happen when since they have a huge transition period in between model years.

Its sad I have been shopping the Roo 23IKSS for the last two+ years. I am at heart a back packer, but age and a wife has moved me to a pop up. Now that I have a son the wife want more of a hard side. She wants storage and dose not like bear proofing a tent camper[emoji3]. The hybrid is a compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by elundquist View Post
Kitchen Area Changes:

2011/2012: lower cabinet next to the stove had one door on the left side and the right side had a bank of three small drawers. The space behind the door had a pass through to the exterior. (I am not real positive on these as I just started looking at Roos in 2013).

2012/2013: the island had doors on the back side (facing the living room slide) and the cabinet depth was about 6" deeper. The lower cabinet next to the stove had the large doors behind two doors. The pass though was removed .

2014/2015: island not as deep & only doors on front side. Lower cabinet next to the stove eliminated doors in front of two drawers. Now just two drawer fronts.

2015/2016: entertainment center next to the entry door is turned into a large pantry. Microwave moved from above the stove to above the adjacent counter top. The cabinets above the stove are reduced in height to raise the bottom of the exhaust hood even with the bottom of the microwave .

I know the refrigerator has changed curbing the years, but not sure about those.

Mine is a 2015 and it has the drawers and cabinet door to the outside, has original depth and doors on all sides of the island, and the microwave is over the stove. I hate the new lay out. So glad we have the 2015.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rockwood interior.jpg
Views:	951
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	90289

Name:   7.JPG
Views: 348
Size:  22.6 KB

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:07 AM   #26

I still think that entertainment center change is the one thing I just can't stand. It was so perfect before. I love every other change but that alone would keep me from considering the ikss.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:55 AM   #27
ENE

We are getting ready to purchase a travel trailer sand have spend months and many hours daily looking at floor plans of every mfg. What we found out is there are plenty of errors in the on-line info and floor plans. Dealers sometimes will use stock photos and not the actual trailer. The dealer will show one model floor plan but show the wrong model number.
Also the mfg can change the floor plan slightly in the middle of the production year.
One thing we learned is you got to personal visit and walk thru a trailer before buying it.
You got to sit in all the chairs/sofas, stand in the shower, lay on the bed, open and close all cabinets. Some cabinets turn out to be half size of the cabinet door. No cabinets for a trash can. You sit in a rocker/swivel only to look at the kitchen faucet in the way of the TV. You sit on a sofa only to find out that you can't sit straight up and you keep sliding down and out of the sofa. Do you want to walk thru the bathroom to get from the bedroom to the living room. Does the trailer have bedroom at one end and the bathroom at the other end.
Check where the windows are. Some trailers only have windows on one side, is there enough natural light. Does the kitchen have a pantry, is there any upper cabinets or do you have to bend over to get to any cabinet in the kitchen. Does the outside awing cover the at lease one of the doors, does it cover the speakers. Do you lose awing space due to a slide out. These are all things to consider. My opinion after all my research is that the designers of trailers never had or used a trailer. Most designers figure your just a weekend user and don't care about functionality of the floor plan layout.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #28
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Sewingcybermom,

Your model looks exactly like the first 2014 Roo I showed my wife. I am the cook, but my wife really like the large island storage. I liked the three small drawers for flatware and hand towels. I wish they kept them but maybe flipped them with the door. I don't think I would have missed the pass through.

Do you use the pass through into the cabinet next to the stove? How do you find it useful? That was a puzzle my wife and I could not figure out

I still can't figure out the cabinet changes by the range and the island. Most of the 2014 & 2015 we have looked at or seen photos didn't have the three drawer cabinet. They had the two drawers behind two doors - major pain or just two drawers without the doors. Maybe they had a larger supply of one finish over the other, so the cabinets must have carried over into later model years - who knows. The larger island disappear in 2015 - we miss that.

If they didn't change the wood finishes each year I would switch out cabinets to build a custom 2016. My custom 2016 would have the three small drawers next to the new pantry. The single large door cabinet next to the stove. The panty would have a flat slab without the glass window. The island would be the large cabinet like yours, but without the side door.

I think I would like the supper slide with the old configuration, back by the bathroom and a sleep couch towards the front bunk. Having the table towards the back give a nice outside compartment for storing hookup items near the street hookups.

We have not personally seen a new 2016, so we are not sure about the entertainment system. I don't care for the lowered main panel as I have a 11 month old son that loves to push buttons. I can see him turning things on and off. I am sure he will really like moving the slides as he will really notice the response of playing with those switches.

Thanks for posting your photos. Maybe we might by an older model as the local dealer still had some older models?

Old 09-30-2015, 09:57 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
My 2015.0 does not have the sink bump out. Base measure 20x45x58. I would imagine yours has the same dimensions.

I would have to measure it, mine was MFG'd in Feb 2015 purchased in April 2015, so I assume you may be right unless they made small changes

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 09-30-2015, 11:21 AM   #30
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Pictures of confusions:

2013/2014 models?

Name:   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443628517.244785.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443628787.445833.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  18.1 KB

Both have the three small drawers and large door next to the stove. The island is the larger one with the five doors.

2014 model or odd duck?

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443628940.989254.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	90321

Two drawers behind the two doors next to the stove. The larger island but only four doors - the side door is gone.

Early 2015 models?

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443629304.729467.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	90322

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443629320.330569.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	90323

Both have the smaller island with only the two doors on the front. They both have the base cabinet next to the stove that had two drawers behind the two doors.

2015 model?

Name:   ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443629510.984722.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  24.1 KB

Small island again, but the base cabinet next to the stove just had the two drawers fronts.

Early 2016 model?

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443629786.516098.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	90325

Small island and two drawer base cabinet next to the stove.

Later 2016 model?

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443629840.636228.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	90326

Small island, two drawers in base cabinet next to the stove. New - pantry, microwave moved to above counter, & cabinets above range hood are shorter.

I have seen a few other strange variations, but I don't have photos.

Looks like it could be pot luck if you get a transitional model.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:53 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewingcybermom View Post
Mine is a 2015 and it has the drawers and cabinet door to the outside, has original depth and doors on all sides of the island, and the microwave is over the stove. I hate the new lay out. So glad we have the 2015.

Attachment 90289

Attachment 90290

Your sig says its a 2014...

(With all these dates being tossed around, it's no wonder why there would be confusion)
Old 09-30-2015, 12:10 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooVader View Post
I still think that entertainment center change is the one thing I just can't stand. It was so perfect before. I love every other change but that alone would keep me from considering the ikss.
Ahh, so you love the wardrobe downsizing, the missing 2nd wardrobe, the move of the outside tv to where the grill is, and the smaller couch or chairs depending on the config. (Going with the chairs reduces sleeping capacity to 6.)
Old 09-30-2015, 03:08 PM   #33

Maybe "love" is the wrong word, but the improvements in the bathroom and the headboard shelf thing were enough that I saw it as a positive.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:15 AM   #34

I think to me personally the bathroom shower doors are not worth the other mods, but it will be interesting to see what else FR comes up with for the Roo series

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 10-02-2015, 10:35 PM   #35

Appears they finally have hooked up 4 internal speakers for the 2016. Mine has 2 internal (besides the 8" sub I added).
Old 10-04-2015, 07:43 AM   #36

I was able to get into a new floor plan yesterday at a dealer in Tampa. Here are some of my observations.

Exterior:

Grill mount is now longer. Due to that the awning mount is now pushed further towards the back. The front mount looks to be in the same place so I assume that either means a slightly bigger awning or just more blank space.

Interior:

In the rear bunk there is now a bookcase type shelf that is in my opinion a cool add. I think however that to do it they must have pushed the bathroom forward into the main living space, and/or shrunk the size of the bathroom.

The new shower in the bathroom looks awesome, but I do not think I like it. Standing in it there is very little room. I can for see a lot of banging and bumping against the glass. Whereas with the curtain, you have give to expand your space a bit when your elbows push against it. I also don't see anyone but kids being able to take off or put on clothes in that bathroom.

The new pantry location isn't as bad as I thought, and the model we looked at didn't say Pantry on the glass, which is a plus. The door however just doesn't look right. I think it would look much better with a raised panel cabinet style door instead of a normal door.

The new entertainment center wall is nice, if you want the extra privacy for the front bunk, however it does really mess up the TV viewing angles. The TV also does obstruct the entrance/exit to the camper if you have it swung out and angled towards the couch to be able to view it properly.

The front bunk now has about an 8 or 10 inch space between the edge of the mattress and the platform. I assume this was done in-order to make the person laying by the entertainment wall not fell so closed in. My wife and I feel that the first mod we would need to do is to make some kind of cushion to put in that space. This would make it a little more forgiving on your knees on entering/exiting the bed.

The new sofa location is nice for normal operation, but useless in a full turtle situation.

At this point my wife is now frantically trying to find an older floor plan before they are all gone. For us we just feel that it fits us better.
AlariWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 07:59 AM   #37
ENE

It's seems that the interior floor designers never used or own an RV. There are electrical outlets are a safety hazard were they were placed or no electrical outlets where you actually need them. They place the TV at one end of the RV and the seating area at the other end with the kitchen obstructing the view in the middle. Some trailers with no windows on one side. Most don't have a night stand on both sides of the master bed, leaving you no place to lay your eyeglasses, water, cell phone or a CPAP machine. The long wardrobe is ok on both sides as long as they would leave a few inches sit sit times on.
Some have no linen closet in the bathroom. Some RV have no pantry in the kitchen ands some don't even have upper cabinets in the kitchen. Yeah 6" more in the shower would be a great thing. Those tiny bathroom sinks could be 3" bigger so you could put a drink glass down or your shaver, most are only big enough for a tooth brush. Adjustable shelves in the Medicine cabinet would be nice. The RV mfg need to hire new designers.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:00 AM   #38

We tried looking into different floorplans since we are not as high on the IKSS now, but no other floorplan can compete with the interior and exterior storage of the IKSS. It's crazy how much better it's storage is. I really don't understand why none of the others have a pass thru storage in the front. I want to be able to keep all my outside camping stuff in the camper and not have to load up the bed of the truck or the back of the expedition. So the IKSS is the only option. The BD would be nice if it had a couch. I am sort of surprised that to don't have more double slide options.

How much nicer would the 23SS be if that U dinette was on a slide also.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlariWild View Post
I was able to get into a new floor plan yesterday at a dealer in Tampa. Here are some of my observations.

At this point my wife is now frantically trying to find an older floor plan before they are all gone. For us we just feel that it fits us better.
AlariWild, thanks for the "visual". I was hoping to see one myself since I have to run to the dealer to get my kitchen slide part. The newest they have is a 2015.5. I think another downer is where they put the control/status panel. Soemone else had commented it is now within their little kid's reach. It's close to the floor, which means you have to bend over to use it. I tend to have things stored on the doorway when traveling. Lawn chairs and such.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:31 AM   #40

Something else that I noticed while looking at that camper the other day was a little disturbing. The overall quality control seemed to be lacking. This one camper had a panel on the side of the island that was totally un-stapled and pushed in. Several chunks missing out of counter edges. My wife also noticed on the outside of the bathroom wall that you could easily see every nail or staple used to fasten the wall. That wall material is very shinny except where the fastener were put in. It looked like someone went back afterward and did something so now there were quarter size dull/rough spots at every fastened location. Under the bathroom sink the flimsy divider that is placed in there to separate the storage space from the pipes wasn't connected at all and was just sort of haphazardly placed.

Is this typical? The dealer said not to worry about it, that they spend 3 days of preping before we are allowed to pick it up, so they would fix all these issues.

Rockwood is supposed to be the best of the best in this market. Does this sound right, and do they hold up to normal use?

Thanks