Old 09-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #1

23IKSS in Boone,NC

Well I made it up the mountain. Had rain, no leaks. The only problem I had was leaving the house the electric tongue jack stopped working while I was hooking up. Used the hand crank. When I got to the camp site, it worked again. We are at Flintlock Campground in Boone. Been coming here since the tent days. Sunday will be the down the mountain trip, hope the brakes hold out!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 09-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like a loose wire or ground on the electric tongue Jack. Take it slow and gear down going down the mountain. Use the engine more than the brakes, don't be afraid to let the TV scream some. If/when you use brakes do a hard quick press, drop your speed about 10mph and then let the engine try to hold you there. When the speed creeps up repeat the braking. You do not want to ride the brakes but rather quick jabs a bit apart so the brakes don't heat up. I have been known to pull off in the truck pull offs for brake checks prior to going down the mountain. I slowly let myself get up to speed. What gear did you climb the mountain in? The low gear you used going up should be a good indicator of what gear will be needed going down the mountain.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Sounds like a loose wire or ground on the electric tongue Jack. Take it slow and gear down going down the mountain. Use the engine more than the brakes, don't be afraid to let the TV scream some. If/when you use brakes do a hard quick press, drop your speed about 10mph and then let the engine try to hold you there. When the speed creeps up repeat the braking. You do not want to ride the brakes but rather quick jabs a bit apart so the brakes don't heat up. I have been known to pull off in the truck pull offs for brake checks prior to going down the mountain. I slowly let myself get up to speed. What gear did you climb the mountain in? The low gear you used going up should be a good indicator of what gear will be needed going down the mountain.

Thanks. Coming up, gearing was 3, then 2, and a little short stretch, it was 1. I like to keep the tach above 2500 rpm, but I don't like to go over 3500. I know the 5.3 likes the high RPM, but after taching 2000 at 70mph when not pulling a camper, that high rev. Is kind of unnerving.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:56 PM   #4

I plan to use 2 gear going down, keep the speed about 35. I warped the disk on my jeep Cherokee pulling a popup a couple of years ago on the same downhill. Don't want to do the same this time! Will post the results. We love it here in Boone.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #5

Flintlock is a great little CG. Only drawback is their entrance. Kinda tricky jumping onto 105. Our tongue jack failed after 2 trips. It's a known problem with the type jack we have. If yours is the same it may be missing the O ring in the cap you remove to use the manual handle. We were all packed and ready to go when it quit. Tom Johnson sent a tech to the house and replaced it. He recommended getting a cover or put a bucket over the jack when parked.

n4uaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:52 AM   #6

Good info in this thread. Thanks everyone. We've made a bunch of trips with our 23IKSS but have yet to tackle the WNC mountains. First trip will be next month or early November to chase some trout.
Good to hear Tom Johnson provided such great service. That is where we purchased ours too.
Be safe and let us know how the ride down goes.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:06 PM   #7

n4uaj, we love Flintlock CG, but you are correct about the entrance and jumping out on 105! Bought mine from Tom Johnson in Charlotte also. Stayed at the Tom Johnson in Marion for service. Nice CG, and didn't have to climb Black Mountain to get there.

Old 09-13-2014, 02:33 PM   #8

Yea we used our 3 free nights last month there. We are at Asheville East KOA now till Thursday. Going to Boone with my granddaughter next month for homecoming at App. I've camped at both Flintlock and the KOA while she was at App learning to teach younguns. We looked at another one up there Honey Bear maybe? But it looked kinda rough for even a popup at the time. This trip should give me enough reward points for a free night at Boone KOA. She likes it because of the goats they got up there:-) Also one needs no backing skills cause they are all pull-through sites.

n4uaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #9

We made a drive through of the KOA today. I agree about Honey Bear. We just love being on the creek at Flintlock.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #10

Did either of you go to Marion last weekend for the annual Tom Johnson Customer Appreciation BBQ weekend? We were there. First time going since we just picked up our camper this summer. Waaaaay bigger an event than I imagined. We had fun and will probably go again.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote