Old 06-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #11

I installed the hardwired unit from progressive in my 23ikss. I put it behind the distribution center as well. It is a tight fit. You could also install it under the bathroom sink where the power comes in but I wasn't comfortable with it so close to the water lines.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #12

Rather than a 50 ft hose, I would suggest two 25 footers. Most times you'll only need the one, and you won't have to deal with an extra 25 feet every time. Same with the power cord.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Rather than a 50 ft hose, I would suggest two 25 footers. Most times you'll only need the one, and you won't have to deal with an extra 25 feet every time. Same with the power cord.
Thanks. Earlier today, I ordered another 25' power cord and since the RV comes with a 25' already, I should be set. I did order a 50' hose, but could change that if needed to two 25' hoses.

With two 25' power cords, is it an issue during rainstorms with water getting between the two cords and tripping a breaker?

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #14

Welcome to the forum from an other south Carolinain.I see from your profile that you will be pulling your tt with a Ford expedition. Have you ever pulled a tt before?
richard rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #15

I've not had an issue with rain and extension cords, I wouldn't set it in a puddle. I've seen where folks would jut a J into both sides of a bucket and then hook the cord in the short side of the J, plug in the middle, then turn the bucket upside down.

I carry two 50' hoses and two 25' hoses. 150 feet is usually way overkill but I can easily reach my spigot on the backside of my house, or combo up however I need and if one breaks, I have an extra.

If they're giving you a starter kit see if they'll give you store credit for it. Get a Rhinoflex sewer hose kit with two 10' sections and the elbow. Get a good brand white hose, I've used mine for years and years. Get the good adjustable water regulator, the cheap-o inline versions are too little pressure and are restrictive.

A 30A to 15A adapter.

Stuff you'll acquire along the way.

Wood. Go to Lowes and get a 2X10X10. See if they'll rip it into one foot sections. Great for putting under stabilizers, tongue jacks, tires if you need just a little leveling.

Leveling blocks. Lynx levelers are popular but I'm a serious fan of my Andersen levelers.

Nitrile gloves from an auto parts store. For when you dump the tanks.

Figure out what you need to change a tire. Sears or Lowes has good tools at decent prices, the socket, extension if necessary and a pull handle or 1/2" drive ratchet. Parts stores have those tools also but aren't as good a value but do have the advantage of you can ask someone to come outside and look at what you'll need. Don't forget a small bottle jack.

That's a rough layout of what I carry. I also have regular extension cords, tools, etc. but that's an each his own thing.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rv View Post
Welcome to the forum from an other south Carolinain.I see from your profile that you will be pulling your tt with a Ford expedition. Have you ever pulled a tt before?
Thanks for the welcome. No, this will be the first time pulling something that big. Our Expedition is the EL version so the added length will help. Unfortunately it has the standard 6000lb towing package, so we have to watch our weight. I'm sure the first few trips will be white knuckled but I'll get use to it.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
Old 06-15-2014, 10:08 PM   #17

Thanks for all of the tips and suggestions everyone. Lots of good advice here and I really appreciate the time you've taken to contribute to this thread.

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
Old 06-15-2014, 10:26 PM   #18
the-the-the- The GRINCH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
Thanks again folks. The PUGS are on the list - they seem to get a universal thumbs up. Do you find that you uses them all the time on every trip, or just under certain conditions? My hunch is to use them always.
Yes, always - and get the high wind option. While I used my pugs on my 2001 Coleman Sante Fe then kept them for my '08 Roo 23SS, I wish I had the high wind type.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life...
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #19
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
Hello Everyone!

We are about to be the proud parents of a new 2015 23IKSS. Long time campers, but we've never owned an RV before. I'm 50% excited and 50% nervous. Seriously hoping that RV ownership isn't like boat ownership where your happiest days are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

Went out looking last weekend "just to look", and checked out a bunch of the floorplans. We really liked the layout and storage of the 23IKSS. The dealer had one on order that was exactly what we were looking for with options and colors, and the price he was asking was so close to the "internet dealer" prices that it was a no brainer to buy locally. It is a big relief to know that if we have issues or questions, he is only a half hour away.

We figured it would be 3-4 weeks before it arrived but he called on Monday and said it was coming off the line and that it would ship by the end of this past week. A few days later he called and said it was here. Wow - crazy fast! So now we're scrambling around trying to research what we need and get ready for this new chapter of our life.

And so... the questions start:

- do you tip the tech who helps you with your PDI, and if so, what is appropriate?
- how long are your typical electrical cords, water lines, sewer hoses, etc? Is 25' a good number? Space and weight are a concern so I don't want to go overboard, but also don't want to come up short.
- the RV has a built in water filter, but I was thinking to also get a Camco filter to connect between the incoming water line and RV. Is that a good idea or overkill?
- I ordered a Progressive Industries hard wired surge protector to keep her safe. Has anyone done a self-install with one of these or should I outsource the task?

Thanks folks. I've already learned a lot by lurking around here. You all seem like a great group of people!
I had a few gift cards to local restaurants that tipped the guys with and they really appreciated it.

I like two 25' drinking water hoses and one 25' regular hose for cleaning.

I might get an additional power cord. Is this a standard cord or need the same Furion kind that cam with the Roo23ss?
Old 06-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #20

Dk. I have a 2007 expedition and a 2009 flagstaff bh33s tt. The reason I ask about pulling a tt is from my experience. The expedition will do a fine job, but make sure you get the best weight distribution hitch and dual sway bars.you can afford. You will be gald u did. Nothing like a white knuckle drive. I went cheap and laid my tt over because of a cheap swaybar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Forest River Forums mobile app

richard rv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags