Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #21

I would also get a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter. Last trip out, after getting setup, found that the 30 amp outlet did not work but the 50 amp did. The adapter saved the day.

I put my Progressive unit just inside the access door (the one with the screen front) under the rear bunk and mounted the display facing the other bunk end. I can see it from any where in the camper. Very helpful when managing loads using 20 amp service.

I also added another 15 amp circut and outlet to the island. Now we can run a heater and coffee maker at the same time.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #22
camping newbies

Following your thread as close as my own - it appears we both are new to this and have the same towing vehicle - expedition EL, 6000 tow pkg. Definitely nice to know someone else is using the same vehicle to tow a very similar unit!
vanceandsheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceandsheri View Post
Following your thread as close as my own - it appears we both are new to this and have the same towing vehicle - expedition EL, 6000 tow pkg. Definitely nice to know someone else is using the same vehicle to tow a very similar unit!
That's funny! We've been following your thread too.

We are definitely pushing the limits of our TV with the 23IKSS starting out at right around 5k lbs. We will just have to watch what we bring and worse case, the kids have to draw straws to see who has to stay home.

Tons of great info has been provided on both threads and it has made this pre-delivery time a little less stressful. We definitely have a lot to learn upfront and through experience, but it is very comforting to know that all of you great people are out there with tons of experience and more importantly, a wonderful willingness to help. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #24

Following this thread too. I had PUGs for my Niagara Pop Up and loved them. It was so easy to install them; pop up a little bit, pull out the beds, install the PUGs, then crank the Pop Up the rest of the way.

This 23ikss seems so tall to me. Can the PUGs really go on easily? Our A/C worked so well with our maiden trip, but it did get a tad warmer in the bunk ends. It's really worth it???
Family of 4: Hubby, me, 2 teenagers
1 Rat Terrier
duncmelsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #25
camping newbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK-in-SC View Post
That's funny! We've been following your thread too.

We are definitely pushing the limits of our TV with the 23IKSS starting out at right around 5k lbs. We will just have to watch what we bring and worse case, the kids have to draw straws to see who has to stay home.

Tons of great info has been provided on both threads and it has made this pre-delivery time a little less stressful. We definitely have a lot to learn upfront and through experience, but it is very comforting to know that all of you great people are out there with tons of experience and more importantly, a wonderful willingness to help. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!
Just realized you're in Tega Cay - our good friends (my wife's best friend and husband/kids) live in Ft. Mill - love it up there!
vanceandsheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceandsheri View Post
Just realized you're in Tega Cay - our good friends (my wife's best friend and husband/kids) live in Ft. Mill - love it up there!
That's great. We love it here. Our first "camping trip" will be at the Fort Mill KOA so we can figure out what we've gotten ourselves into.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
Old 06-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncmelsmom View Post
Following this thread too. I had PUGs for my Niagara Pop Up and loved them. It was so easy to install them; pop up a little bit, pull out the beds, install the PUGs, then crank the Pop Up the rest of the way.

This 23ikss seems so tall to me. Can the PUGs really go on easily? Our A/C worked so well with our maiden trip, but it did get a tad warmer in the bunk ends. It's really worth it???
We have been using a small 5 step ladder ( lite weight aluminum). Lets us clip on the pugs easily. We are planning on switching over to Velcro instead of the clips.

2014 Roo 23SS & 2013 GMC 4WD Crew
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:29 PM   #28
kpm

Quote:
Thanks. Earlier today, I ordered another 25' power cord and since the RV comes with a 25' already, I should be set. I did order a 50' hose, but could change that if needed to two 25' hoses.

With two 25' power cords, is it an issue during rainstorms with water getting between the two cords and tripping a breaker?
What model power cord did you go with? Same one? I found the furion one on amazon, but was unsure of others. I'm planning to order one too.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandchris View Post
We have been using a small 5 step ladder ( lite weight aluminum). Lets us clip on the pugs easily. We are planning on switching over to Velcro instead of the clips.

Do you have the high wind PUGs? I think they only need the included bungie cords to attach...I'm not sure though. Thanks for the reply...it's still worth it even having to go to the trouble of using a ladder?
1 Rat Terrier
Old 06-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #30

What is a PUG?
MN_Outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:56 PM   #31

PUG = Pop Up Gizmo.

They're insulated toppers for the bunk ends which keep the heat/cold air out or in (depending on the season). They work well.

PopupGizmos
1 Rat Terrier
Old 06-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #32

Quote:

In 13 years with our popup, we never saw / heard of PUGS and never needed them. We just didn't camp when it was cold, and with no AC, we never used in really hot climates either.

Anyhow, we ended up getting a set for the Roo because we have extended our season by a lot, and have traveled farther south in the summer. So far, haven't felt the need to use them in the summer - as you said, the AC works pretty good.

We did use them last month when it was down in the 30's at night. Last year in those temps it didn't matter what we did - couldn't prevent heavy condensation on the tent ends. First time with the PUGS - problem solved. The hybrid is sealed up much tighter than the popup. And the set we bought (in the FRF classifieds) came with some reflectix for the windows. My 11 year-old took one look and asked me if I was worried about being abducted by aliens. But we arrived late the first night and didn't use them, then put them on for the second night. Once everyone saw how good they worked, they quit with wisecracks.

As for installing them, total PITA - between the height of the bunks and the atttached canvas (can't kneel on the edge of the bunk on the outside) it really does take a small ladder or some creative way to get up there.

Last weekend, temps only were between 50 and 75 - so we didn't use them. No condensation issues. I figure we'll only use them in the more extreme temps. They work really well when you need them, but for me, not worth the hastle in typical June-August weather where we are.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #33

Quote:
Do you have the high wind PUGs? I think they only need the included bungie cords to attach...I'm not sure though. Thanks for the reply...it's still worth it even having to go to the trouble of using a ladder?
Yes we have the super high wind set for our Roo. Makes a huge difference, especially if you also use the reflectix panels. We had a 20 degree temp difference today, 72 inside, 92 outside. They help to keep the heat radiating into the bunk ends. We also like that they darken the ends in the morning.

Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #34

Thanks you guys! I guess we'll bite the bullet and get some. The sad thing is our Pop Up had a set that had seen its better days. I bought a new high wind set, but we decided to sell our pop up and get the 23ikss. The lucky new owners have a brand new set of PUGs, and lo and behold, we're going to have to order another set (our 3rd) for our new hybrid.

It sounds like it's worth it though. Here in Georgia, the sun gets ripe around 8:30am and the PUGs let me sleep longer than that warm sunshine wake-up. It'll be worth it!
1 Rat Terrier
Old 06-17-2014, 10:32 PM   #35

Quote:
we're going to have to order another set (our 3rd) for our new hybrid.
Maybe you can try for quantity discount or something!

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:33 PM   #36

That would be nice! I'll give it a try...thanks for the idea!
1 Rat Terrier
Old 06-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Outdoors View Post
What is a PUG?
PUGS is an abbreviation for PopupGizmos which is a cover that a lot of people add to their tent ends. I don't have them yet (actually I don't even have my trailer yet), but many people here swear by them. They help reflect the sun in the summer to keep the inside cooler, help to retain heat in the winter, and also help with condensation buildup. They come in different styles but many on FR.com seem to recommend the High Wind model. Here's a link to the manufacturer's website:

PopupGizmos

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
Old 06-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks again folks. The PUGS are on the list - they seem to get a universal thumbs up. Do you find that you uses them all the time on every trip, or just under certain conditions? My hunch is to use them always.
You might check the classified forums here on FRF. I remember just recently approving an ad for a member selling their pop up gizmo's. Don't know if they have already been sold.

EDIT: Here is the ad I was referring to. Someone offered to buy them, but don't know if the deal went thru.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ugs-61893.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags