Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 07:49 PM   #1

23ikss question

While I'm impatiently waiting for our new hybrid to arrive, I have some questions.

Did you do any mods with the 2 wardrobes? I wish they were made to be one bigger wardrobe. I can't decide if I'll use that space for hanging clothes or not.

Where do you guys store duffle bags/suitcases? We went to our dealer to see a 23ikss up close, and that's my concern. I don't know if there's an out of the way place for the suitcases, etc.

I guess you guys store the outside chairs in the hybrid, when not in use. I was hoping there was a large storage door for these. Any suggestions?

I love the 23ikss but I've come to the conclusion that it's a cook's dream. Lots of counter space and storage for cooking gadgets. Even if we have to put the suitcases and stuff on the floor at the front bed, they will be out of the way of walking.

This was always a headache for our pup. We'd put luggage on the dinette at night, then return everything to our beds during the day. I was hoping that we would have storage so we weren't doing this. At least now, we could keep it on the floor and still have plenty of room to walk around.

Thoughts? (thanks!)
Family of 4: Hubby, me, 2 teenagers
1 Rat Terrier
duncmelsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:38 PM   #2

Very new 23IKSS owners here...only one trip out so far, but found this link to a great solution to wardrobe shelving that we plan to do immediatley: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...a-21652-3.html
We are also new at posting in the forums so not sure if this post comes across OK, but of all the solutions to wardrobe shelving, this one was by far the best solution for us.

We have found the 23IKSS to have loads of storage, but we don't have any kids to worry about, so your situation may be different. We found that the two "hanging" wardrobes made no sense to us. We needed more storage for folding clothes, so this will be our solution.

Good luck and hope you love your 23IKSS as we are loving ours!
106 nights 2016, 83 nights 2017
Going Full Time in Spring 2018

Zargonians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:03 PM   #3

If you search on here you can find a lot of good ideas on adding shelves to the wardrobes. We like to just hang everything, so we didn't add any shelves.

After years of camping in a popup, we quit bringing any bags or suitcases. Everybody gets half a wardrobe and one cabinet over the couch/dinette for folded stuff. Extra bedding on the shelves over the bunks, and towels in the bathroom wardrobe. There is room for a bag or two in the back bunk, and lots of room in front of the front bunk if you need it. Not having to drag any bags along has been one of the nicest parts of the Roo for us.

As for chairs, the front pass through storage holds a lot, but really doesn't work for chairs. When traveling we keep them in on the floor in front of the couch. Otherwise they are under awning the rest of the time.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncmelsmom View Post
While I'm impatiently waiting for our new hybrid to arrive, I have some questions.

Did you do any mods with the 2 wardrobes? I wish they were made to be one bigger wardrobe. I can't decide if I'll use that space for hanging clothes or not.

Where do you guys store duffle bags/suitcases? We went to our dealer to see a 23ikss up close, and that's my concern. I don't know if there's an out of the way place for the suitcases, etc.

I guess you guys store the outside chairs in the hybrid, when not in use. I was hoping there was a large storage door for these. Any suggestions?

I love the 23ikss but I've come to the conclusion that it's a cook's dream. Lots of counter space and storage for cooking gadgets. Even if we have to put the suitcases and stuff on the floor at the front bed, they will be out of the way of walking.

This was always a headache for our pup. We'd put luggage on the dinette at night, then return everything to our beds during the day. I was hoping that we would have storage so we weren't doing this. At least now, we could keep it on the floor and still have plenty of room to walk around.

Thoughts? (thanks!)
I installed shelves in the washer/dryer closet. I mounted 4 shelf rails and cut 3/4 plyboard and attached a molding strip to the front so items want slide off while driving. Worked great and can be changed on the fly if needed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1396845575542.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	49255   Click image for larger version

Name:	1396845595436.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	49256   Click image for larger version

Name:	1396845616274.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	49257  
Old 04-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #5

I have a 23ikss and I found the larger wardrobe closet was useless as a wardrobe . I found the plastic drawers at wal mart that were the same width and I can put 4 stacked for clothes and things . Work great for the dirty clothes when empty. There is still a smaller wardboe next to it for any hanging clothes , also we bought a over the door bracket of hooks on the bathroom door one hanging each way for sweatshirts and coats while camping.

Days camped 2013 ...23
Days camped 2014....8
2006 Chevy Avalanche
2014 ROO 23IKSS
ggrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Resident Masshole

Not sure if it's 100% identical, but I used metal shelving from Lowe's to make my wardrobe closet a little more functional:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post346973
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #7

I use one of the closet organizers that hang from the closet rod in my wardrobe in my 23ikss. Here is the link to the one I purchased from walmart for only $10.
Mainstays 6-Shelf Clothes Closet Organizer-Walmart.com
erikmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #8

we also used that same closet organizer in one of our wardrobes. works great! we hang clothes in the back wardrobe and put folded clothes in the organizer. we have 5 kids and haven't had to worry with duffels or bags....simply stack the kids clothes on the shelf over the front bed. coming from a pop pop we had the same complaints of constantly moving bags around but not with the roo! tons of storage. even during a day trip to disney that system worked for us, minus our oldest daughter who preferred to keep her things in a bag in a cabinet under the front bed.

outside camp chairs fit nicely in the outside storage door under the dinette. my wife does have 2 large loungers that i have to move in and out off of the dinette but hasn't been a big deal.

so much room inside we are actually thinking about getting a coffee table lol! also have thought about adding some shelves in the back bunk between the side wall and linen closet but havent really needed it. my main goal is a small cabinet next to the door to keep sunscreen, bug spray etc in
Scottnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #9

23ikss question

This is what we did spent about $40. Did not finish the shelves yet. We pack our clothes in the cloth bins, carry them out to camper and slide them right into the closets and shelves - works great. Shelves are height adjustable. The shelves in the back bunk can hold more bins than we need for a weeks trip! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1397327692.564370.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	49671Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1397327705.981016.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	49672Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1397327716.419915.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	49673Click image for larger version