Old 05-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #1

23IKSS Stabilization Mod

I am not sure about your trailer but even with the wheel chocks I found mine to shake from side to side when waking into the trailer. The wheel chock helped the front to back but did nothing for the side to side.

With 35 dollars in hardware and about an hour of time I think I have fixed the issue. The trailer is much more stable and the bonus is they mod can stay attached.

The hardware consisted of 2 five (5) foot pieces of 3/8 threaded rod and two turnbuckles. The turnbuckles attached to the base of the stabilizer jack (new holes) and the opposite end of the threaded rod pushed thru a hole drilled into the mounting plate the stabilizer is mounted to. As long as the nuts are loosened on the top the threaded rod will slide thru the hole as the jack raises or lowers. Once the jack is lowered the nut on the upper end can be snugged to the bracket, twist the turnbuckle to adjust the tension and stability is achieved. The tension on the turnbuckle doesn't have to be that much and as long as there is enough load on the jacks they will not slide from the tension of the turnbuckle. By attaching one of the turnbuckles to the front of the jack base plate and the other to the rear it eliminated the threaded rod from touching in the middle. There should be enough adjustment in the threaded rod if I ever needed to extend the jacks down lower.

In the second picture you can see where I added a piece of rubber tubing over the threaded rod where it comes in contact with the frame when the jacks are raised. If I would have drilled the hole a little lower in top bracket the threaded rod might not have come in contact with the frame. Live and learn.

Can't wait to see how it works in a couple of weeks when we head out for the long weekend.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150502_182340.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	295.3 KB
ID:	75941
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150502_183627.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	75942

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Engauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #2
Site Team

Hope is works for you. Be careful not to warp your jacks by too much pressure to the side.

Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #3
hamster

Is there much extra time crawling under the trailer dealing with lock nuts and turn buckles? I don't crouch and crawl so well any more.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Is there much extra time crawling under the trailer dealing with lock nuts and turn buckles? I don't crouch and crawl so well any more.
There is very little extra time in setting up the tension and there is no need to crawl under the trailer. The turnbuckle is accessible from directly in from of the jack. The lock nuts are just hand tight and if fact the inside nut really does not even have to be adjusted up to the frame. It is the outside nut along with the turnbuckle that sets the tension. Depending on how low the jacks have to be lowered determines the placement of the outside nut. Once I have the jacks down and firmly in place I adjust the turnbuckle just enough to create a little but of tension in the threaded rod.

2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
2012 F150 FX4 5.0L
Engauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
cogito ergo moo

elegant solution!

Tim
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications