Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #1

23rs - rear slide removal

Hi there!

New to the forum. I have a 2007 23rs that has the dreadful cracks in the corners at the rear slide. After a few hours of investigation today and researching this forum, it appears that I will need to remove the rear slide to fix the problem completely and (hopefully) correctly.

Question - does anyone have any tips/tricks on the rear slide removal? I do have access to a forklift and garage (very thankful for that!). Mainly, is there something I need to do to remove it from its tracks?
Ronnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:20 AM   #2

Wow, that's quite a repair to take on, Ronnus. You've got me as to how to remove the slide. I wonder if Forest River would send you instructions if you asked 'em.

Good luck with the repair, I'll be following this thread to see how it goes. Think you could throw up some pics of the cracks & repair job along the way?
Nights camped in 2014:29 | 2013:33 | 2012:32 | 2011:33 | 2010:30
RockyMtnHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #3

Slide removed and 80% of back wall removed as well.

For anyone attempting to do this to repair the cracks, it is essential to remove the slide to fix it correctly. The slide lifts off the rails - 3 bolts on each side for a total of 6. The rails only come off from the inside of the camper. A pretty good design on the slide motor/rail mechanism, but the frame around the slide where the cracks occurred need more strength and stability.

Had 1 crack in the upper left corner, and a major crack on the bottom right. Both allowed water to get into the wall, and it traveled the entire way to the bottom of the rear wall under the slide. Pics are coming...
Old 02-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

oppps nm i see you posted pics are coming !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #5

Progress

Here you go...progress so far.

Photos of the work in progress

As you can see, the slide was totally removed. Part of the aluminum frame was replaced with a stronger steel frame on the lower end of the rear wall. It should not add too much weight (about 50 lbs total).
Old 06-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #6

I have a 2008 25RS and have the exact issue, can you call me if you get a chance? I would like to pick your brain on what you did, thanks. My cell is 512.636.6168.

Tags
23rs, expandable, hybrid, shamrock