Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #1

23SS Battery Operation

We are relatively new to the 23SS, and I'm looking for some advice on the use of the battery. I know the microwave won't work on the battery. What else won't?

Also, if you're running on battery and not using A/C or heat, can anyone give me some idea of how long the battery will last? I know there are lots of caveats, but I'm just trying to figure out if we're looking at days or weeks?
vkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #2
Site Team

23SS Battery Operation

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkwood View Post
We are relatively new to the 23SS, and I'm looking for some advice on the use of the battery. I know the microwave won't work on the battery. What else won't?
the 110v outlets, the air cond., the mattress heaters, the fridge(unless you switch to propane)

Also, if you're running on battery and not using A/C or heat, can anyone give me some idea of how long the battery will last? I know there are lots of caveats, but I'm just trying to figure out if we're looking at days or weeks?
a/c will not run on battery. furnace is the biggest power drain on the battery. if you are good at conserving battery power, 2 nights would be normal.
since we dry camp nearly all the time, our 23SS has two deep cycle batteries and we have a Honda 2000 to recharge them for extended days.
are you going to be dry camping?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #3

We haven't dry camped yet, but we are thinking about it, but we don't have a recharger -- It will recharge if hooked to the truck -- right? But, then you risk draining your vehicle battery.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
We haven't dry camped yet, but we are thinking about it, but we don't have a recharger -- It will recharge if hooked to the truck -- right? But, then you risk draining your vehicle battery.
the Honda 2000 is a generator, not a "recharger".
your Roo has a converter/charger. when it's plugged into shore power, it will recharge the battery. or you can plug the shore cord into the generator and it can recharge the battery that way.

i have to ask, didn't the dealer explain a lot of this, during the PDI, especially what runs on 12vDC battery power and what runs on 110vAC shore power?

and no, your truck will not recharge the battery unless you drive for hours.
most tow vehicles only provide a minimum trickle charge while driving.
and virtually nothing while not running. in fact, unless your truck has an isolator, the trailer could drain the truck's battery if hooked up and the engine is not running.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #5

Thanks. It's really more just being VERY new to camping and also not being much of a fix-it person. I'm certain the dealer went over it but we were overwhelmed with everything as this is our first camper.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Here is a good start.
PLEASE take the time to read them all.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Taking care of Deep Discharge Batteries.pdf (7.44 MB, 45 views)
File Type: pdf Battery Ratings.pdf (177.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: pdf The 12 volt Side of Life.pdf (438.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: pdf Trojan battery user guide.pdf (548.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: pdf What is the Peukert Effect.pdf (164.4 KB, 41 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
jbdbsb

Quote:

Hey there.
Microwaves & A/C will not work, they require 120-volts AC or a generator. Your lights, heater/furnace, water pumps, fridge/freezer, stoves/ovens are all 12-volt and/or propane and will work just fine.
How long you can stay "dry camping" depends upon the amount of storage capacity and the amount of power/fuel you draw from your batteries & propane tanks. Do you have one or two batteries and propane tank? What size is the battery, a group 24 or 27? What size are the propane tank?
If your interested take a look at "My Mod's Roo 233S" link. Among the many mod's I did, the most important were for dry camping (boondocking), though I wish I had gone with 6-Volt batteries. Maybe in the future.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f46/my-mods-roo-233s-24709.html
I run two Propane tanks, though I rarely need the second. I run two batteries, the original group 24 (backup) and a Group 27 (main). I rarely use the backup 24 battery, but I generally don't camp more than a week. But I could easily go two to three weeks with stringent conservation.
I run ALL LED lighting (why doesn't the OEM?), which saves tons of power!
I will use an approved indoor space heater (propane) which actually blows away the OEM furnace and is silent! Ha Ha blows away, I made a funny!
jbdbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
jbdbsb

Oh yeah, don't rely upon the battery/propane/water "Gauges" (if you have one), they are notoriously wrong!! Mine will show full tanks when they're empty!
Old 07-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdbsb
Oh yeah, don't rely upon the battery/propane/water "Gauges" (if you have one), they are notoriously wrong!! Mine will show full tanks when they're empty!
Use geo method. Might help tank sensors be more accurate!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
jbdbsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Use geo method. Might help tank sensors be more accurate!
Geo method? What's that?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdbsb View Post
Geo method? What's that?
I don't want to hijack the OPs thread so I'll just point you here: Black and Gray Water Holding Tank Maintenance

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdbsb View Post
Working that issue now with my gray water tank.
You need to flush and clean your tanks.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tor-26746.html
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy

I don't want to hijack the OPs thread so I'll just point you here: Black and Gray Water Holding Tank Maintenance
Thanks I wasn't able to paste link.
App s**cks lately.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23ss, battery