Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2014, 09:24 PM   #1

23ss questions

Hi. I am currently a flagstaff pop-up owner looking to move to a hybrid. I don't have access to either of the hybrids I am looking at so I have been relying on pictures online, however they only go so far. I have looked at many hybrids and have narrowed my choice to a jayco x23b or the 23ss. One thing about the 23ss that has me wondering about it is the sink being very close to the couch. How much of a problem is it with splashing water from the sink on to the couch?
Another question is how much space is there between the kitchen and the dinning table? To me it looks like if someone is working in the kitchen they would always have to move to let someone by? Is that the case?
Leaning strongly to the x23b but the cargo capacity seems so low vs the 23ss. The 23ss seems to lack the openness of the x23b. I also have a kennel for a large dog(standard poodle) to fit in there somewhere. The x23b however has a much shorter awning 13 vs 19 feet which is a lot of potential bug free space to give up. Of course I would have to add a screen room. Any information to help me make a decision would be appreciated. Thanks
hereIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:37 PM   #2

After I cleaned the sediment out of my sink filter, I no longer get any splash.

As far as the dining table to the kitchen, me and some friends went camping-we set up a cot next to the kitchen and still had enough room to walk by.

I don't think you'd have to worry about being in someone's way if they are working in the kitchen and you want to get by.

Mine is a 2008 23ss.

If I can find some mobile pics, I'll post them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
gunrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:43 PM   #3

Old 07-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #4

Old 07-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #5
kpm

We haven not had any issues with water splashing on the couch even though it looks close. Ditto.... After we cleaned the faucet filter out of some packing material water flowed better and wasn't splashing on the counter. We do not have any space issues when someone is using the kitchen and someone else needs to get by.

This must be a tough decision for you since you cannot see them in person. I personally like the 23ss over the Jayco model. Also do a search on bunk end reliability and water intrusion issues. I've had water penetrate my seals when the doors are closed and have a second service visit set up. I know we hear this is a potential problem with all hybrids. I'm just saying see if one door design is better than the other. It would be nice if the door closed on my 23ss in a way that it was recessed or they put gutters on like the older Roo's to help that seal keep the water out.

Check out those video reviews that people have done to get a since of the size and layout.

2014 Roo23ss
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 12:37 AM   #6

2013 23SS

Sink splashing on to couch - never happened. Not an issue.

Space between dinette table and stove - lots of room. Me and my brother are both over 6'1' and 220 lbs. we have no problems.

Storage space - amazing amount.

Dog space - just inside the door in front of the bunk - chocolate lab (80 lbs) no problem.

Have fun making your decision ...

CDNWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:42 AM   #7
Site Team

i can tell you that i've been in a 23B and i own a 23SS and the 23SS is WAY more open than the 23B. the slide out on the 23SS is 12' long, while the 23B's slide out is much shorter, at most half as long.

and have you thought about having to climb over the u-dinette to get in the front bed? many don't consider this and end up hating having to climb over the 23B's dinette to get in bed.

we also had our 70lbs. golden retriever camp with us until she passed. plenty of room for her and she loved sleeping right under the front bunk, where we slept.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:46 AM   #8

We've never had an issue.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #9

Thanks so much for the replies, they have been super helpful.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #10

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1404419463.130418.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	575.5 KB
ID:	57049Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1404419521.646905.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	568.7 KB
ID:	57050
We love our 23ss Roo 2013 lots of room but we have a smaller dog no cage. No problem with water on sofa. Plenty of room to get by . One thing we liked about this model is that when the slide is in you can still get to back of camper to get something you forgot. Rockwood is the best we did a lot of research , quality is by far better. Good luck 🎏

hellomaryjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #11

Yup with my slide closed on the 2008, you even have room for 3 kids bikes or maybe a couple of adult bikes. You can easily get to the back with the slide closed. I like that.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #12
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrock View Post

I like the curtain there in front of the bathroom. Nice Idea.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:31 AM   #13

As most have said there is plenty of room and no splash on the couch, unless the dish washer is sloppy . We had looked at the Passport 235EXP ( they no longer make it) and the Jayco x23J (they no longer make that either) one of the reasons we didn't go with the X23B was that you have to climb over the dinette to get into the bed. The rear bunk (depending on your age and agility) is harder to get in and out of with only a approx. 2 to 2-1/2 foot gap. A feature that I'm not a fan of, is on the Hybrid designs the bunks that are easiest to get in and out of are in the front which is also closest to the road when camping and doesn't afford as much privacy. When we had our pop up we always slept in the rear bunk and it was more private. Just some thoughts. Due to lack of dealerships in Maine we also had to purchase without going into one locally but where able to go to one the year before at an RV show. There is similarity in floorplans but make sure pay attention to things like height of the ceiling if you are tall, and how far that ac unit comes down. We found the Roo to offer the best ceiling height. If you are short (under 5ft)light switches are on the lights on the ceiling and could be a challenge. Have fun and good luck in your search.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #14

Thanks for the pictures and input. We have decided to go with the 23ss. The 23ss should suit our needs just fine. I like the layout, and with the larger slide it should feel plenty open. The awning is alse 6 feet larger than the x23b which will give plenty of bug free space to relax in then camping. Also with the large cargo capacity no need to worry about what the wife wants to bring camping.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereIam View Post
Thanks for the pictures and input. We have decided to go with the 23ss. The 23ss should suit our needs just fine. I like the layout, and with the larger slide it should feel plenty open. The awning is alse 6 feet larger than the x23b which will give plenty of bug free space to relax in then camping. Also with the large cargo capacity no need to worry about what the wife wants to bring camping.
I'll bet you're not disappointed. We love the 23SS, an all around good floorplan.

Old 07-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #16
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post
I'll bet you're not disappointed. We love the 23SS, an all around good floorplan.
I really like my 23ss as well. Lots of space when closed. I used our sink last weekend and no splash as long as I wasn't sloppy. Lots of space to move around when open. I always have enough room to get to the back and load it when closed. I did put one adult bike and one kids bike in the trailer on our last trip. I was pleased with that.

Just curious. What do you think it's(23ss) advantages are over the 23ikss or 233s.
I walked by a 23ikss today and peaked in the window (at the dealer's lot) and it looks like more open floor space.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm View Post
I really like my 23ss as well. Lots of space when closed. I used our sink last weekend and no splash as long as I wasn't sloppy. Lots of space to move around when open. I always have enough room to get to the back and load it when closed. I did put one adult bike and one kids bike in the trailer on our last trip. I was pleased with that.

Just curious. What do you think it's(23ss) advantages are over the 23ikss or 233s.
I walked by a 23ikss today and peaked in the window (at the dealer's lot) and it looks like more open floor space.
When we purchased our 23SS our kids were 18 and 16 and jobs were preventing them from camping with us as often so there was no need for a 3 bunk trailer (233S). I think this is a great trailer for a family that has two young kids and will use the three bunks for many years.

The 23IKSS was not available when we we purchased. I believe it came out in 2013. Had it been available, I would have considered it. I like the air bed option and the overall floor plan. I like the deep curbside slide out, it gives lots of floor space. I might have concerns with the kitcken slide out taking away from the awning area, but, not sure.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lyon View Post

The 23IKSS was not available when we we purchased. I believe it came out in 2013. Had it been available, I would have considered it. I like the air bed option and the overall floor plan. I like the deep curbside slide out, it gives lots of floor space. I might have concerns with the kitcken slide out taking away from the awning area, but, not sure.
We were all set to buy the 23SS (or the Palomino version of that floorplan) when we saw the 23IKSS at the RV show. The show was the last week in Feb 2013 and the date stamped on the frame was 2/13/13 - so this one was fresh out of the factory...

DW said we were done looking. The kitchen space was the real advantage to us. That, and a ton of storage space. Before that, the 23SS really had about the best kitchen layout.

I was worried about the kitchen slide taking up too much awning space, but it hasn't really been an issue. Its a little tight if you want to pull the cg picnic table under the awning, but compared to the size of our old popup camper's awning, its still huge!

The U-shaped dinette is a big plus on the 23SS. And if you need 3 beds, the 233S is the way to go. The air matress on the IKSS can give you a third bed, but you have to pull it out every night.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #19
kpm

cool thanks.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #20

It's a personal preference but IIRC you have to open one of the slides to get to the rear of the 23IKSS. We looked at all of them but chose the storage of the 23ss and no longer needed the three bunks. They are all a big step up from a popup. Just the abilty to open the door and load up at a moments notice is huge for us. Good luck in your search.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23ss