Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #1

24ws on order, dealership questions

So I’ve had a 24ws on order since February 17 and have been having troubles getting a delivery date from the dealership. They’ve been great on almost everything else, but for some reason they just seems completely clueless about when we can expect our camper.

Is this typical? I’ve not called real often, first sontact was mid March, late March, and last Friday and still get the same answer: it’s on order, they are coming in soon and once it does we will call you. I’m not in a super hurry but we are getting excited to get it, and looking forward to the first trip.

The dealership has good reviews, they have been decent with us in the ordering process and have a rock bottom price I’ve not seen anywhere else but this is pissing me off a bit.

Anyone run into this?

Also, is ours going to be a 2018 or 2019 model? Our rider form shows 2018 but I see 2019’s are what’s hitting dealerships right now.
Past:
2001 Starcraft Spaceliner PU
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Miweber929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:44 PM   #2

good chance it will be a 2019... and I think at this time of year the dealerships are at the mercy of factory production... you do know that RV sales are increasing at over 10% a year making it hard to produce all that are ordered over the late winter RV shows ?

Did money exchange hands??? contracts signed? If so then I think you may be getting some word soon. I would give them until mid-May personally...

plan your trips now and get some reservations before the campgrounds are sold out... especially on weekends

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:13 AM   #3

They make these things in batches. A week of one model, another week of another model. I'd expect at least 8 weeks. I ordered my 2016 Mini Lite 2503S on Feb 28, 2015. It arrived the 1st week of June. It was a 2016 model.

I'm guessing they started making 2019 models about 2 months ago.

You're calling isn't going to make it come any faster.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:51 AM   #4

Thanks for the info, I do appreciate the help.

@rsdata Contracts have been signed, financing has been taken care of and a deposit has been placed but nothing more than that. I’m aware of the increase in sales, and it makes sense that it’s taking the full time they told us it might. I’d start looking elsewhere but our quoted price and OTD on the contract is well under even what RVW was able to do.

And while we have several reservations in already, it’s hard to do more until we know when it’s going to get delivered, if it’s even going to be ready to take delivery and if we are going to have any issues with it that will keep us from using it for a while mid season. Based on what I have been reading around here with “China Bomb” tires, poor construction and things being installed wrong, I’ll be surprised if it doesn’t blow up on the way home!!! (I’m being a bit sarcastic, I may be new here but am very familiar with forums being filled with negativity, but I am still cautious)

@rockfordroo, I also get what you’re saying and understand the process these things are made in. And I also get calling (3 times in two months isn’t really all that much on a $25K purchase, I don’t think) isn’t making it come any faster, it just brings to light that knowing and hearing absolutely nothing for two months makes it impossible to plan a summer that’s far too short up here already.

Maybe my question wasn’t asked properly as I get the timeframe this order may take but what I don’t get is the absolutely zero idea the dealership has on even when or if they are hitting production, and absolutely zero idea on when it may arrive and absolutely zero desire to call me back with any info on when, where, how or even if it will ever show up. And every time I did call I was told they were going to call FR for an update and never got a call back or any real info on it, hence the multiple calls.

If I order a car or truck, I get emailed updates, calls from the dealership updating me, I know when it hits the production line, when it’s done and when when it’ll be delivered. I know nothing about this build execpt it’ll be here sometime between the order on February 17th, with a build time of anywhere between 8-12 weeks, and maybe never. I’m not looking for real time updates but a rough idea what’s up would help. And what if they decide not to build this model anymore?

I have a popup to sell, storage to arrange, trips to plan, can’t do any of that until I have the new one in hand.

Just wondering if that’s simply how it is or if I shoukd be pushing the dealership harder.
Past:
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Old 04-25-2018, 07:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
So I’ve had a 24ws on order since February 17 and have been having troubles getting a delivery date from the dealership. They’ve been great on almost everything else, but for some reason they just seems completely clueless about when we can expect our camper.

Is this typical? I’ve not called real often, first sontact was mid March, late March, and last Friday and still get the same answer: it’s on order, they are coming in soon and once it does we will call you. I’m not in a super hurry but we are getting excited to get it, and looking forward to the first trip.

The dealership has good reviews, they have been decent with us in the ordering process and have a rock bottom price I’ve not seen anywhere else but this is pissing me off a bit.

Anyone run into this?

Also, is ours going to be a 2018 or 2019 model? Our rider form shows 2018 but I see 2019’s are what’s hitting dealerships right now.

X2
We ordered on Feb. 19th and they said 8-12 weeks which I’m going to figure the longest which is no big deal. But an email, a call, a hi how are you from the dealer would be nice. Yes it is a big purchase and have a lot of money down and even if they don’t know anything a hello would be nice.
Oh well, wouldn’t have been able to go due to weather anyway and we have things going on every weekend till June 2 so hopefully it will be in before that.
I sure have learned a lot on this forum in the mean time.

Only problem is the longer it is and the more I learn and read the more Amazon gets my money...
Flightmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:

If I order a car or truck, I get emailed updates, calls from the dealership updating me, I know when it hits the production line, when it’s done and when when it’ll be delivered. I know nothing about this build execpt it’ll be here sometime between the order on February 17th, with a build time of anywhere between 8-12 weeks, and maybe never. I’m not looking for real time updates but a rough idea what’s up would help. And what if they decide not to build this model anymore?
You will only continue to be frustrated if keep trying to compare the Auto industry to the RV industry.
They operate completely different from each other.

The only things that they have in common, is that they both manufacturer things with wheels and sell them at dealerships.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You will only continue to be frustrated if keep trying to compare the Auto industry to the RV industry.
They operate completely different from each other.

The only things that they have in common, is that they both manufacturer things with wheels and sell them at dealerships.
I've see you write this before and I completely understand; using the analogy of a car purchase was simply that, an analogy. I'm not new to the camping/rv life, just new to buying something from them brand new.

Again, I am not looking for real-time updates, just wondering why there is simply zero information available to me on this process and the dealership seems to be in the dark as much as I am as to when and even if the thing is showing up.

Is that an industry thing?

A manufacturer thing?

A dealership thing?

Weird that this is simply accepted.
Past:
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Old 04-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightmike View Post
X2
Only problem is the longer it is and the more I learn and read the more Amazon gets my money...
Same here!!!! My garage is filling with the things we "need" I keep reading about on here.
Past:
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Old 04-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #9

Quote:
I've see you write this before and I completely understand; using the analogy of a car purchase was simply that, an analogy. I'm not new to the camping/rv life, just new to buying something from them brand new.

Again, I am not looking for real-time updates, just wondering why there is simply zero information available to me on this process and the dealership seems to be in the dark as much as I am as to when and even if the thing is showing up.

Is that an industry thing?

A manufacturer thing?

A dealership thing?

Weird that this is simply accepted.
Not making any excuses for your dealer or the industry as a whole.

We dealers get a VIN# once the unit is scheduled for production. Until then we can call till we are blue in the face and we will still have no idea when it will be built. Once we have a VIN# it is usually about 3 -4 weeks before we see it. No comfort to you I'm sure, but, we have had trailers on order for stock since last Sept. that we have yet to receive VIN #s for! Retail orders (yours) go in front of stock orders.

We try to stay in touch with our customers during the order process. But, no news to report is not a fun call to make. Not that a call shouldn't be made.

I'm sure your dealer is no happier than you are about the time it is taking.
Scotrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #10

I ordered my MBS2400WS 1st of November, took delivery Friday January 13, 2017. It's been nothing but a pleasure ever since !!
Mtnman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:40 PM   #11

It is an industry thing 8-12 weeks is normal once you order. The biggest thing is the factory will not know when it will be built until the run of that model is scheduled and a serial number is issued. So to give you a date is a guess and only that.

Many models and makes are run on the same line unlike the auto industry. Could be an 18 foot today and a 42 foot next week.

Be patient !

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #12
D W

I recently saw a report on a financial channel concerning jobs directly, or indirectly related to the RV industry in Elkhart, IN. The report said that there are roughly 9,000 positions that they can not fill due to employee shortages. The report went on to say that the RV industry is so backlogged with production orders that they can't keep up with demand. Most manufacturers are now running 24/7/365.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #13

I don't think this this is "accepted" but we're at the mercy of supply and demand... no industry likes too much inventory, but when factory is selling all production and dealers across the country get dispersed from the factory what was produced in that run.
While dealer attitudes can run from servitude and customer service all the way out to "we don't care... next in line with the cash"
They sell everything they can get in.
Don't believe it... try to get a camp reservation from March to October with less work than 3 months to a year.
Then while in camp ride around and see how many rigs older than 5 years you see!
Somebody is buying these things!
And with airports, international travel giving you the uneasy feel and personal abuse people are seeing the beautiful USA.
Ever see those RV shows and hear the buyers lamenting some detail they don't like? EVER hear anyone say No Problem that can be swapped or upgraded? NO, Not even for a price. Because they don't have to.
They could make a fortune doing modifications, changes and addons fir buyers. But most don't, wont, could care less.
Even the most customer friendly place just doesnt have time to be that.
Must be nice to he in an industry where so many want your product and you have people in line to buy@

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #14
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
I don't think this this is "accepted" but we're at the mercy of supply and demand... no industry likes too much inventory, but when factory is selling all production and dealers across the country get dispersed from the factory what was produced in that run.
While dealer attitudes can run from servitude and customer service all the way out to "we don't care... next in line with the cash"
They sell everything they can get in.
Don't believe it... try to get a camp reservation from March to October with less work than 3 months to a year.
Then while in camp ride around and see how many rigs older than 5 years you see!
Somebody is buying these things!
And with airports, international travel giving you the uneasy feel and personal abuse people are seeing the beautiful USA.
Ever see those RV shows and hear the buyers lamenting some detail they don't like? EVER hear anyone say No Problem that can be swapped or upgraded? NO, Not even for a price. Because they don't have to.
They could make a fortune doing modifications, changes and addons fir buyers. But most don't, wont, could care less.
Even the most customer friendly place just doesnt have time to be that.
Must be nice to he in an industry where so many want your product and you have people in line to buy@

Simply put, this is the free market speaking.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotrv View Post
Not making any excuses for your dealer or the industry as a whole.

We dealers get a VIN# once the unit is scheduled for production. Until then we can call till we are blue in the face and we will still have no idea when it will be built. Once we have a VIN# it is usually about 3 -4 weeks before we see it. No comfort to you I'm sure, but, we have had trailers on order for stock since last Sept. that we have yet to receive VIN #s for! Retail orders (yours) go in front of stock orders.

We try to stay in touch with our customers during the order process. But, no news to report is not a fun call to make. Not that a call shouldn't be made.

I'm sure your dealer is no happier than you are about the time it is taking.
Thanks, this helps explain it. I asked about the process on the day we made the order and was blown off and told they'd keep me informed so I didn't know what a dealer did or didn't know. All I know is since then they had zero idea and would call me back to let me know whats up and it never happened.

Funny thing: After posting this yesterday and responding today, I called the dealership this morning to get a purchase agreement together for the credit union and they told me they think mine either came in today or will be in by the end of the week. Then is goes up the road to get the hitch welded to the frame for a bike rack and they think we should be able to pick it up next week.

Waiting for a call back to let me know.

I have plenty of patience, I just need to know what to be patient for.

EDIT: Just got a call back, it's supposed to be delivered Friday!!!!!
Past:
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Old 04-25-2018, 07:30 PM   #16

Congratulations, I'm sure you will enjoy your new trailer. While our unit was ordered in 2012 we were also told it would take about 8 weeks to get it. Since it was October we were worried about snow and salt and slippery roads and the dealer agreed to store it on his lot (assuming it came in January since it was special ordered) until spring. Well, we got a call about two weeks later that the unit had arrived at the dealer and was ready for pickup (first week in November). We got over before the snow fell and got it home! Only drawback is that the delivery started the warranty and it was parked - and we had to scurry and make room for it. Have loved it ever since (was a 2013 model) and had very little problems with it, only one recall in the spring which was taken care of by the dealer. It seemed like a lot of care went into assembly. I'm a stickler for things being straight (like cabinet doors and drawers, etc.) and everything was right on the money - unlike the previous trailers we have had. FR did a great job on this one. I hope your's is the same!
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #17

Just to bring this one full circle, we picked up the new unit yesterday, the dealership did a full PDI on it BEFORE we got there, did a full PDI on it while we were there with them nd away we went, very happy with the final outcome.

The guy who was giving me crap information? He STILL was a dick to work with (he was the guy we had to pay for the trailer through and just sucked the life out if the whole process) but everyone else there was great to work with, answered all of the wife and I’s questions and I would definitely work with them again.

Very happy, can’t wait for our first trip next weekend!!!
Past:
1987 Starcraft Nova PU
Old 05-23-2018, 07:19 AM   #18

Great to hear! Good luck in your new memory-maker!!
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #19

Bike rack welded to the frame? You do know that more than likely eliminates any warranty on the frame!
Scotrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotrv View Post
Bike rack welded to the frame? You do know that more than likely eliminates any warranty on the frame!
To be clear, I had receiver hitch welded and yeah, willing to accept if they can prove that called a failure of the need arises. Went into this with my eyes wide open and a supportive dealer.
Past:
1987 Starcraft Nova PU

Tags
dealer