Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2009, 12:28 PM   #1

Question 26RS (or similar)?

Hello,

We are interested in purchasing a Shamrock 26RS, mainly for the bunkhouse layout. We have rented the 17 and 19 models, and really like the features and value.

I did a search and didn't find anything, but I was looking to see if anyone had experience with this model (or similar). We really like the tent camping aspect of the expandable, but also wonder if the hard slide models would suit us better long term (read: colder climate).

Since FR stopped making these models, is that possibly an indication that they had problems? Or maybe just didn't sell well?

Thanks!
Phil
philhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #2

Smile

Welcome to the Forum!

I like our Cherokee with the bunkhouse design. Nice thing is slides out on both sides of the bunkhouse leaving more room to have kids in sleeping bags if that is what you need. Of course is bigger than what you are looking at. And to be honest we don't tow ours around it sits in the forest! We also bought ours online from http://www.lakeshore-rv.com/cf/shopm...productid=1730. We felt like we got a good deal and they even delivered it to our spot... My jeep could never pull that thing around!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 June 026.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	1949   Click image for larger version

Name:	129B+floorplan_cherokee.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	1950  
Old 11-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #3

Wow, that's a great layout! Will have to take a look at those. Thanks!
Old 11-10-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
Site Team

first, hybrids and rear-bed slides are both expandables. but they are very different.
don't get a hybrid unless sleeping under canvas is what you want. the fact that hybrids offer more sleeping space and floor space isn't enough if you are wishy-washy about being under canvas. there are a few disadvantages to the canvas that make it important that you want it, to offset the few negative issues.

for us, the idea of being sealed up in a "shoe box", isn't our idea of camping. but that's us and we're willing to do the little extra it takes to be able to have the canvas. they also aren't that hard to keep warm by using Reflectix and solar blankets.

rear-bed slides aren't any different than other travel trailers with slides. it's just that the bed slide is on the back instead of the side, like most RV's.
i think that FR dropped the 26RS because it didn't sell well and other brand's of similar-sized rear-slides trailers offer a king bed instead of the queen bed in the 26RS.
there are a lot of other brands making rear-slides now that have probably out sold FR, like Outback.
FR still makes the 23RS and 21RS, so it's not that there were problems with the design. probably not as big of a demand for that size.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #5

Very practical advice, and it's exactly the dilemma we are facing!

What are some of the negatives you speak of? If these are mentioned elsewhere, I'm happy to read up.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #6

We have a 2001 Shamrock 18 expandable. We camp about 5 weeks a year with it and we have a lot of fun. Some drawbacks are: setting up and closing up in the rain, condensation in the bunk tents in cool weather. The good points are: you get the amenities of a hard side camper with the feel of sleeping in a tent, great air circulation in the summer when you open the sides. We are upgrading to a Rockwood 2604SS this spring.
Attached Images

yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhyde View Post
Very practical advice, and it's exactly the dilemma we are facing!

What are some of the negatives you speak of? If these are mentioned elsewhere, I'm happy to read up.
if you aren't in love with the idea of sleeping under a canvas tent end, don't get a hybrid! the vast majority of hybrid owners were previous popup owners who outgrew them or got tired of the lack of amenities or the amount of work it takes.
but they were still attached to the feeling of sleeping in the outdoors, not sealed off from the outdoors.

it's pretty much that simple. the advantages and disadvantages don't mean much without answering that question.

if you don't feel strongly one way or the other, get the rear hard slide model.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:29 AM   #8

Actually, I love the idea of tent sleeping. It's probably a pipe dream, but my ideal RV would have both a fold out tent and enclosed sleeping areas!
Old 11-14-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhyde View Post
Actually, I love the idea of tent sleeping. It's probably a pipe dream, but my ideal RV would have both a fold out tent and enclosed sleeping areas!
well, you may want to look at some hybrid bunkhouse models. they'll have a queen canvas end and bunks inside.
there is a Dutchmen 29' V-nosed model that has two canvas beds in the nose and a full queen walk-around bed in the back.

the disadvantages of a hybrid are that it takes about 5 extra minutes to set up the bunk ends, you have to put up wet canvas if it's raining, some front bunks leak while driving in rain, you'll hear noise while sleeping because of the canvas(less privacy) and it takes a few extra things to help insulate from cold and heat.

the advantages are that you have 2 queen beds without them taking up floor space, more sleeping space for size of trailer, openness of bunk ends(especially when windows are unzipped), lightness of trailer for sleeping capacity, being able to hear wind in the trees and creek water running and birds singing while laying in bed and still feel like you are sleeping in a tent.

for us, the romance of camping wouldn't be there without the canvas ends. we would have still been using popups if we hadn't seen a hybrid. so that outweighs the few disadvantages for us. if we stayed in KOA's or RV parks all the time, a hybrid might not be our choice. but we don't consider that "camping".
now, after we retire and are doing some full-timing, our priorities will probably change. we see a Super C MH in our future for that stage of our life.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:07 AM   #10

Wow! They have some excellent floor plans. Thanks for the recommendation. It's a shame that they only offer that on one model.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:55 PM   #11

hi...we bought a new 2008 Rockwood Roo 26RS in Sept '09. Love the layout---it's perfect for us---it's the main reason we bought it. The rear bunk works great...plenty of room. It's the equivalent of a 30' trailer. The 4 bunks in front are perfect for 2kids and a couple adults. Camped with it 3x and the rear slide developed cracks on the trailer opening. It's actually been shipped back to the factory for repair. We are nervously awaiting the return and results. All I can say is it better be a perfect, undetectable & permanent repair or we will be contacting the Attorney General's office.
Hopefully our experience is rare.
Good luck.
RV4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #12

We were choosing between a used Shamrock 2008 25RS and a used 2007 26RS, I liked the 4 bunks of the 26RS but my wife liked the white interior and small slide of the 25RS. We had just lost our Trail Lite 21RBH in a flood, it had the front popout tent. We realized the hard slide was better for noise, important when a 2 year old needs to nap. Pushing a switch to extend the slide is much easier than putting the tent up, especially in bad weather. After a season with the 25RS, it is less like "real" camping than the 21RBH, but my wife enjoys it more which allows me to enjoy it more.
fbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock