Old 06-11-2019, 06:51 PM   #1

303 Protectant

I have 303 Protectant for both the rubber and canvas. I have some questions about applying them. First, how should I apply it to the rubber seals? How much do I use?

When waterproofing the canvas, do I soak the ends with it? Do I just do the outside or do the inside as well?

Old 06-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #2

Don't know about the tent ends but for the rubber seals just spray some on a rag and wipe it on.

Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:11 PM   #3

303 makes dozens of "protectorates." What fabric are you intending to use it on? My Sunbrella fabric uses different stuff than my fabric convertible car's roof.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
303 makes dozens of "protectorates." What fabric are you intending to use it on? My Sunbrella fabric uses different stuff than my fabric convertible car's roof.

-- Chuck

303 Fabric guard for use on my canvas ends.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:41 PM   #5

Canvas is a cotton (or other plant fiber) woven material. Not a square inch of it on my Roo, all the tentage is vinyl. The tentage on my boat is Sunbrella, also not canvas. Neither is the roof on my car. The last two use different 303 protectorant.

If your Roo is like mine you can use a vinyl protectorant. If you want. My tentage hasn't needed anything but it's only been 15 seasons.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:18 PM   #6
Site Team

Never needed to "waterproof" the vinylized canvas, on my Roo, during the 10 years we owned it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:48 AM   #7

I use this stuff on my seals and only use 303 on my decals to hopefully give them some UV protection and extend their life... I don't use anything on the tent ends since mine are vinyl.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Premium-...-1-spons&psc=1
Equalizer WDH
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:13 AM   #8

Kevin79... I hear you

My 2014 Shamrock hybrid, cousin to the ROO, does have cotton canvas bunk end fabric... not the long end which is vinyl, but the short ends on both sides.

I waterproof the ends at least once a season, but I use something other than 303 Fabric Guard, which says it is a water repellent. I have used it in the past, but I found something better in the past year.

Usually after a day/night long hard driving rain that gets the ends really wet, I find that the cotton fabric will be damp and will soak thru to say a pillow or bed clothes that have been pushed up against the short sides and make them damp as well.

I let the tent ends dry out and then use on both sides this Aqua Armor product from Home Depot. This seems to last longer and do a better waterproofing job. I apply only on a breezy warm day. If I have to clean the cotton canvas using a mold remover, I also then reapply the Aqua Armor as will be necessary.

Read my write up of Mold Armor product here

HOME ARMOR Mold Stain killer from HDepot

The 303 Vinyl UV protectant, I use to wipe down the vinyl part of the tent ( which is about 90% of the bunk end including the outside end, ( not the side walls which again at least on mine and sounds like on yours is cotton canvas). I do this a couple of times a year. Sometimes tree sap will get on the vinyl and I find that the 303 will help release anything sticky on there.

I only do the outside. I spray it on, and wipe it onto the entire vinyl covering the entire tent, top and end. When getting ready to pack up, I use the same rag and wipe onto the plastic edge that goes against the seals more 303 Protectant. Also I wipe the seal as best I can using a step ladder.

UV is tuff on vinyl and plastic so I do what I can to help keep the vinyl tent ends looking new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aquaarrmor.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	207185  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #9

Should a person put the 303 on the inside of the seals on the slide out and if so, how do you do it? Also is there any issue with it leaving a film on the slide out? How long after applying it should you wait to put the slide back in?
Old 06-13-2019, 10:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo View Post
Should a person put the 303 on the inside of the seals on the slide out and if so, how do you do it? Also is there any issue with it leaving a film on the slide out? How long after applying it should you wait to put the slide back in?
I buy 303 by the gallon on Amazon, and use it to coat my slide seals, wipers, inside and out. On the inside I just take a cloth and wet it down with the 303 and wipe down the seals, maybe twice a year.
Outside i treat the seals every 2-3 months. I'm not neat about it..I just spray it on from the top and let it run down the seal, and lightly wipe it down leaving most of it on the seal.
Don't worry about it getting on your paint or anything elsa...it won't harm it or stain it at all.
The quart bottles of 303 are expensive...much cheaper to buy it by the gallon and get a good bottle sprayer.
My lLexi is 7 years old now and the seals look and are as plyable as when they were new.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote