Old 05-11-2012, 09:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
Yep, we're practically neighbors . Thanks for the info on the dealer.

Small world, yesterday the wife and I just started planning an October trip to N. Georgia. One of the State Parks we were looking at was Amicalola Falls. I think the other was Vogel. Sounds like you enjoy Amicalola Falls. Have you been to Vogel? Not meaning to hijack your thread here. If you wish I can start a new one to discuss the State Parks.
It is okay! You can hijack if you like, as long the moderators don't mind.
We absolutley LOVE the Falls. Especially the lodge restaurant at the top!

James

Old 05-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #22

Update

Well, I received the brand new skylight assembly from UPS today. It is all intact thankfully. For those who ever need to order one from FR, it comes with the inner shell and the outer skylight. Also comes with a roll of butyl tape. Nothing else.

Not sure if I am going to use Dicor on it once installed, or just use proflex and then Eternabond around it and call it good. Any thoughts?

Also, do you think I should swap out the existing screws for all stainless from local box store?

I'll update how the install went after I get it on. Waiting for a day with no rain here in North Florida right now.

James

Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSN46 View Post
Well, I received the brand new skylight assembly from UPS today. It is all intact thankfully. For those who ever need to order one from FR, it comes with the inner shell and the outer skylight. Also comes with a roll of butyl tape. Nothing else.

Not sure if I am going to use Dicor on it once installed, or just use proflex and then Eternabond around it and call it good. Any thoughts?

Also, do you think I should swap out the existing screws for all stainless from local box store?

I'll update how the install went after I get it on. Waiting for a day with no rain here in North Florida right now.

James
IMO you can't go wrong getting stainless screws provided they are the same length and thread type.

Personally, I would Dicor the edges and then give it 48 hours to set; then EB tape over it.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
IMO you can't go wrong getting stainless screws provided they are the same length and thread type.

Personally, I would Dicor the edges and then give it 48 hours to set; then EB tape over it.

Thanks Herk! I was leaning toward the Dicor also, you opinion just verified my thoughts.
James
Old 01-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #25

Question Did you say Amicalola Falls?

Hey James,

We were thinking of a trip to Amicalola Falls Campground in August, and I see your signature line says "04 Suburban and 12 Roo..." and since I am driving a 2012 Suburban LTZ dragging along a 2013 Roo 233S I couldn't help but ask.....did you have any problems getting up the access road to the campground? I found on the park website a warning about a 25% grade climb.....should I be screaming OUCH on that one or was it managable for you with the Roo in tow?

Thanks!
Ed Bemis
Picking up our new Roo on Thursday the 31st!
Old 01-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #26
itch'n to road trip

What is up woth this dealers? And in this economy? I would think they would kiss your butt and make friends with you... you would be likely to buy from them later on. Tell people how NICE they were to you and other would buy from them. Not smart business at all!

As far as Amicalola Falls,wonderfull place...I use to work there. The campground is at the top of the park. Steep road and sites are snug to say the least.
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebemis View Post
Hey James,

We were thinking of a trip to Amicalola Falls Campground in August, and I see your signature line says "04 Suburban and 12 Roo..." and since I am driving a 2012 Suburban LTZ dragging along a 2013 Roo 233S I couldn't help but ask.....did you have any problems getting up the access road to the campground? I found on the park website a warning about a 25% grade climb.....should I be screaming OUCH on that one or was it managable for you with the Roo in tow?

Thanks!
Ed Bemis
Picking up our new Roo on Thursday the 31st!
Ed,
Good to see someone else from FL here! MAN this thread is old, I thought it would have died by now.
At any rate, I have "good news" and "bad news".... which do you want first?
The bad news is, my 2004 Burban 1500 struggled up that grade like there was no tomorrow. It made it... in 1st gear screaming .... added to that, the knuckleheads that don't know how to keep to their side of an already super-narrow road! Now, remember, I had the 5.3 ltr with a 4L60 transmission. I "think" the new Burbans have a better 6-speed tranny and you didn't mention what motor you have in it. (that was the good news by the way)

I think you will be fine, obviously we lived through it with an older model Burban. If you have a 2500 model with the 6.0 ltr, then you have no problems. Like mentioned before by someone else, the sites are very tight... we won't camp there again. Better camping (way better) at Ft. Mountain, then driving over to the falls (they are close together) for the day. Make sure you hike the falls! It is pretty cool..

As a side note: I am selling the 1500 Suburban. Just bought a cherry, one owner with less than 60K miles Excursion Limited with the 6.8 ltr motor. It rips over mountains with a 7000 lb load... I'm liking it!

Take care and good luck!

James
Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #28

Awesome reply!

Thanks for sharing James!

Yup...sorry about posting back to something from last year! I am new to the forums and still learning how best to "navigate" through the vast stack of VERY helpful information posted out here! Picked up your Jax location and thought, how cool, another FLA person who camps and likes the mountains!

Growing up my family had a trailer and we camped all the time, but my family (wife and 2 kids) have been tent camping now for years. We just bought a 2013 Roo 233S after walking one on a local dealer's lot and falling in love with the idea of getting back into a trailer. I traded my 2005 Z71 Burb (loved it and STILL miss it!) in on a new 2012 LTZ (1/2 ton-1500 model) with the 5.3L engine and the 6 speed electronic trans. It came with the HD Trailering Package (Oil & Trans Coolers, Towing Package) and the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, which I thought was FINALLY the way Chevy should have been offering these! I looked around town for a 2500 Burb but nobody had one at a price I was willing to pay. I also wasn't completely happy with the looks of the 2500 Burbs, and couldn't convince the wife that a 2500 HD Pick-em-up would be a good idea...she just didn't want to be without all the internal storage we have on the Burb.

I had already made reservations at Amicalola Falls before I found the warning about the 25% grade. Now that I am learning more about that and the campsites themselves, I am thinking I will cancel that reservation and instead either book a neighboring town, like Ft. Mountain, or perhaps make the run all the way up to Asheville and camp in Lake Powhatan.

I bought the new Burb because I had 180K miles on my 05 and wanted to make sure I wouldn't be afraid to make a long tow trip to the mountains without fear of something going wrong....I probably had nothing to worry about, I take care of my stuff, but just couldn't help myself once I started looking at the new models!

Thanks again so much for sharing! I look forward once we take delivery of our new Roo and actual get to using it to get some cool photo's and upload them to my profile and these forums! I have read plenty of "mods" from that section and clearly have picked up a TON of idea's I want to put into our Roo.

Happy Camping and I promise to "HOLLER" you way if I ever see my fellow Florida Roo traveler around!

Ed Bemis
Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Bought mine somewhere else!

When I was looking around to buy my Rockwood, I also was told by a local
salesman at a well known dealership here in Jacksonville that handles Flagstaff RV's that they would not service me if purchased elsewhere. Well
I did purchase from RVWholesaler's in Ohio. When I had a problem that required warranty work that I could not handle, I stopped by the dealership to ask the "SERVICE DEPARTMENT" if they would service my Rockwood under warranty even tho I did not purchase it from them. The service manager was very nice and said , SURE WE WILL WORK ON YOUR UNIT, WHY NOT? I then told him what was told to me by a salesman at his dealership. He seemed to become agitated and stated, "THEY (salesman)
DO NOT RUN THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT, I DO" He also said the salesmen will tell you anything to get your business. He also said, we get paid the same where it is warranty work or non-warranty work!

My unit did not sit on the lot when I dropped it off for service, the warranty work (BRAKE MAGNET REPLACEMENT, TRIM WORK, GFI ELE WORK) was performed within two days. I was treated as if I had purchased one of their most expensive class "A" units.
I have since returned my fifth wheel twice to the same dealership, presented the bill of sale from RVWholesaler's in OHIO for the proof of warranty. No questions ask, just what is the problem??
That dealership is "DICK GORE'S RV SALES" in Jacksonville, FL.

If all else fails with your ROO WARRANTY IN Alachua, FL dealership, call Dick Gores in Jacksonville, ask for service department!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #30

Thanks for the tip Daisy!

James

Tags
led pad