Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #1

A/C Thermostat question

On the thermostat in my 23IKSS it has two switches. The switch on the left side lets you select the a/c, heat, or fan. The switch on the right lets you select auto, fan, and then it has has low and high. If I select the a/c with the left switch and then select low or high with the other switch am I letting the a/c run continously or is the fan just running? I did this because the first night we camped the a/c would click off when the thermostat was maintaining the 70 degrees I had set. I would wake up everytime the a/c would turn off and we heard every sound that the park made. The second night I kept the switch in the a/c mode and moved the other switch out of the auto mode over to the low setting. I kept the thermostat set on seventy. I never heard the compressor turn on but we never got hot and we sleep under a pretty heavy comforter. We got some fantastic sleep the second night.

The A/C on my pop up had dual knobs. One knob was for the temperature control and the other was selecting the fan or cool mode. We could turn the a/c on and turn the temp control up a bit it and we would sleep all night to sweet hum that it produced. I am just trying to reproduce that same experience with my new camper.

2015 Roo 23IKSS
TV: 2004 GMC Sierra
BMFLYFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #2

We've got the same setup as you. When the fan switch is on "auto" it will turn on and off as needed whenever the A/C or heat kicks in. When the fan switch is on Low or High, the fan runs continuously at the selected speed, but the heat or A/C will still turn on and off to maintain the desired temperature.

You're 100% right about the fan drowning out the surrounding noise, although I'm not sure it helps drown out my snoring...

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #3

I could be wrong but seems like when I put my thermostat on AC & low it doesn't blow as hard as when on high and still turns on and off once it reaches selected temp.
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrishCamper View Post
I could be wrong but seems like when I put my thermostat on AC & low it doesn't blow as hard as when on high and still turns on and off once it reaches selected temp.
That's all high and low does is make the fan blow faster or slower, makes it a bit quieter once the unit is cooled off.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #5

The noise will never cancel out the snoring, but it makes for some fantastic sleeping. I am so excited that the a/c will work when the unit is switch on to run full time. Thanks everybody!

2015 Roo 23IKSS
TV: 2004 GMC Sierra
BMFLYFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #6

Thanks for the info, its just one more thing that wasnt demonstrated. Air with auto it is!
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by syogerst View Post
Thanks for the info, its just one more thing that wasnt demonstrated. Air with auto it is!
You will find a lot of things they didn't tell you or things that weren't explained so you can understand. Most of the people here are more than willing to explain things or help with fixing or modifying something. We all keep learning every day about our campers.

Tags
thermostat