Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #1

A few questions before buying

Hi.

We are thinking of buying a Roo 183.

Something I did not notice while looking at the Roo is if the refrigerator is 3 way. Does it run on 12 volt while travelling? I thought I read somewhere that it was only propane and 120 volt.

Also, does the mattress stay on the platform when you close them up for travelling. I saw a picture that shows the mattresses off the bed and on the floor when the bed platforms are closed.

Thanks
2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #2

My understanding is that the fridge will only run on propane when not plugged in to a power source (and not your tow vehicle). Ours has worked perfectly while on propane, and we've had no problems with it running on propane while towing. The popup we had before our Roo had a fridge that would run on the power of the tow veh, but I remember being told during our PDI (Roo 233S) that the fridge will only run off either propane or shore power. The fridge that was in our popup was considerably smaller than the one in our HTT.
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #3

Hi,
The fridge is a 2-way. Propane and AC. It is designed to run on propane while travelling and we've had no issues with doing that.

The beds have snaps that hold them to the doors when you fold them up.
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by biken201
My understanding is that the fridge will only run on propane when not plugged in to a power source (and not your tow vehicle). Ours has worked perfectly while on propane, and we've had no problems with it running on propane while towing. The popup we had before our Roo had a fridge that would run on the power of the tow veh, but I remember being told during our PDI (Roo 233S) that the fridge will only run off either propane or shore power. The fridge that was in our popup was considerably smaller than the one in our HTT.
I assume you are looking at a new unit? The bunk mattresses fold and then have snaps to secure them to the bunk door. I guess you could store them on the floor if you found that more convenient, but ours stay adequately attached and out of the way. I know I've read that some people have fashioned straps that further secure the mattress to the door, but we haven't yet found the need to do that.

(sorry about two posts, I forgot to add my 2 cents about the mattresses)
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
Old 04-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies.
I presently own a Coleman popup and the fridge runs on 12v while driving. I didn't think you were allowed to have the propane running while driving. I guess I was wrong. We are thinking of buying either this fall or next spring. We will also need a new towing vehicle. So far, we are leaning more towards a 4 door Ford F150. Just not sure which model. This new Eco-Boost system looks interesting but not sure if it's proven yet. Any words of advice?

Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #6

The only prohibitions I've read about regarding towing with the propane tanks open relates to entering tunnels. Otherwise I don't see it as being prohibited in any state.
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
Old 04-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #7

We have a 2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost that has proven itself to us. We tow a 33' Palomino 829vfks TT with no problems. The GVWR on the TT is a little over 9,000 lbs. The truck, with the max tow package, can handle 11,200 (ours is 4-wheel drive). As for the refrigerator, we live on the east coast of VA where there are lots of tunnels. Here, they require that you stop for an inspection. The internet is a great way to research your trip and find out if you will run into any inspection points. We usually find a place to pull over well before the tunnel and turn off the frig and propane. Then, the next time we stop, we turn it back on. Hope this helps. Good luck!
sherri330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Site Team

as was said, the fridge/freezer is 2-way. the only ones that are 3-way are way smaller, like those in popups. it would take all your battery's juice to cool one the size of the one in the Roo.

the mattreesses have snaps and straps to keep it attached to the bunk door when it's in the vertical stored position.

you only time you find people not storing them the way you saw, is if they got wet or they own the first generation hybrids.

many RV'ers travel with the propane on. if you are camping locally, you can pre-cool the fridge the day before and then it'll stay cool when you unhook to leave until you get to the campground.
as long as it's not a long trip.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:29 PM   #9

Thanks for all the info.
In the newer models, I'm I correct to say that even though it's raining when packing up, you can close the beds and the water will not get in?
Old 04-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

You can close up in the rain but you must open up when you get home to allow the bunks to dry.

Some water will come into the trailer when closing in the rain, of course, but the seals should keep out anymore rain while towing.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gocamp View Post
Thanks for all the info.
In the newer models, I'm I correct to say that even though it's raining when packing up, you can close the beds and the water will not get in?
not sure where you mean water not getting in.
wet canvas will drip once it's pulled inside, when closing up in the rain.
some use towels from the inside, to dry most of it. but yes, water will get in but it shouldn't be a big deal.
as was said, it's very important to re-open the bunk ends when you get home.
even if it's still raining.
closing up wet bunk ends without letting them eventually dry out, will result in mold/mildew.
this is true with popups also.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 04-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #12

From what I've seen at the rv show, it seems the canvas is sealed all around the bed door, not like our tent trailer where I have to pull the bunjee cords. When putting away, the tenting goes on top of the beds, getting them wet.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #13
Site Team

but the wet outside of the canvas will find its way down, draining, to the hinge/sill area of the bunk door.
as far as i know, there's no area for it to drain to so you'll need to look at it when you get home.
the pre-attached canvas is a new thing.
ours has the snaps and bungees, so we pull our canvas inside and can wipe most of it off.