Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #21
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
possibly many trips to the RV repair shop a few small repairs at the shop for him usually came close to 500 to 1,000 a visit yes they saw him coming !! Mountainman
Must have been my "so called dealer." After having years of reasonable and friendly service on all my cars and trucks at the Faulkner GMC/Buick dealership (I was deployed all over the world and never once worried about them ripping off my wife if she needed service while I was away), I was expecting the same level of respect and service at my RV dealership.

Two visits later I realized I was being treated as a bank instead of a customer.

Thus became my search to learn enough about my RV to keep from being ripped off. Soon I found I knew more about repairing RVs than they did (and how EASY that was since they were so bad at it).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #22

I agree that the key to being happy with a purchase is knowledge of the product and knowing what to do if you do have a problem.

Like others have done also, I spent almost a year reading this and other forums researching our move form a pop-up to a hybrid (drove my wife and kids crazy!). I knew what to look for, what to expect (or more accurately what not to expect) from our dealer, and how to do an inspection before taking delivery.

As a result, I was able to find a very serious leak problem before we took it off the lot. If I was't aware of what to look for, I may not of discovered it or would have believed the dealer at PDI who wanted to add some extra seal (looked to me like it was door weather stripping) around the bunk and get it off the lot. I would have agreed, taken it home and be a wet unhappy camper by now. Instead, I knew to not accept delivery and have the unit propery repaired at the factory and make sure it got done right.

It's too bad that the industry is like this, but if you know what you are in for and are willing to be your own advocate, things seem to work out.

We are currently very happy with our new, dry Roo!
Cincy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #23

I just opened my bunks on my Shamrock 21SS after sitting all winter and the front bunk tent was filled with a gallon of water. 2011 we bought new last spring. The only other problems we had were the water pump cycled every 10-15 minutes (no leaks). A one way valve behind the pump was the band aid for the season. This year I have a new pump, Surflow revolution, to install. The factory pump was to noisy anyway and it right under our bunk. The dealer is 2 hours each way so a fuel cost of dropping off and picking up makes it not worth it so will fix it myself. Also our dinette table almost fell apart as all the screws were loose. Other than that, we have been happy with it.
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #24

James,
You are doing the right thing by going on forums and educating yourself. You will be way better off than the majority of new owners out there and you will get the most out of your PDI and out of your camping experiences because you took the time to learn what problems you MAY run into and what you can do to AVOID them.

We have owned our 23SS since August and we absolutely love it. We also went from tent to popup to hybrid and each upgrade was worth every cent. Because of the advise on this and other forums, we went to the PDI with a checklist and a video camera in-hand and left it confident that all was well. Our dealer even strongly advised us to take it on a short "shake-out" trip so that we could look for and make a note of anything that wasn't found during the PDI.

Just remember, forum members represent a small percentage of all FR owners and those with major problems are a small percent of forum members. Take everything you read with a huge grain of salt and you'll be fine.

BTW, if you think that the Roo should be avoided based on what you've read here, you ain't seen nuthin'! You should read some of the F-150 forums I'm on. If I based my opinion on what's been written there, that truck is a menace to society and should be banned.
2012 Rockwood Roo 23SS
ddemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #25

James another newby here other than the small issue I had with our used unit and my lack of not closing a vent we have had no other problems. We are here to find answers to issues we have and some stay to lend a hand. Seem like a lot of issues are here because this is what the board has evolved to a think tank to resolve them

If I was in charge of forest river this would be my customer r and d dept to test ect I think a lot of people would be willing to help. Hell I would

It is a very good product. Like everything some issues

Look at other posts by me to see my issue. I contacted F R to get insight for is they sent out parts to repair new design rivet which I have install and is great.
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #26

I cannot thank all of you enough for the feedback. I belong to or have belonged to several discussion forums in my life (Jeeps, Trucks, Tractors, Guns) and I am quite certain that after reading the hundreds of posts that I have read; this group of people HAVE to be the nicest, most down-to-earth people I have seen. You all treat each other with respect and understanding.... it's GREAT

Looks like the 233s is going to be mine after all.

Two things:
1. Please forgive me if, for the first few months, I am on here asking for advice about the Roo ALOT (and yes, I will search first).

2. Lou: I am hoping, just because of my own experiences, that "Herk" has something to do with C130....

Thank you all again.

James
DSN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #27
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSN46 View Post
2. Lou: I am hoping, just because of my own experiences, that "Herk" has something to do with C130....
It does. 33 years flying the Handsome C-130 Hercules.
My Fini Flight (Last flight) was in a 1963 E Model tail 3-7769 at Willow Grove ARS, PA.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #28

It's not a Roo... but my new SV-264 Surveyor is seemingly without blemish... and all is right with the world! My wife added a 3" astronaut foam matress to the already adequate bedding so my "doghouse" is as nice or nicer than the main house...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Hi James,

Expectations are another issue. People expect the same quality from their trailer as with a new car. Ain't going to happen for any number of reasons. Like a boat, you will love it but know there are some issues you will have to deal with. Nature of the beast whether it's a $100,000 MH or an $18,000 hybrid.
I may get flamed for this comment but at 57 years old and being in sales for 36 years I have come to realize that some people just can't be made happy. While 98% of the people don't care that the fabric seam on the dinette is 1/16" of an inch off, for others it is a major issue and they feel the need to post about it. When I read some complaints that are posted about campers, I am willing to bet money that the same people find fault with most of their purchases.

We try not to stress about the little things in life and not expect perfection.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
It does. 33 years flying the Handsome C-130 Hercules.
My Fini Flight (Last flight) was in a 1963 E Model tail 3-7769 at Willow Grove ARS, PA.
Awsome!! Thank you for your service.
I have been "moved" from one location to another aboard C130's. I miss the raw power of them (and believe it or not, the smell) almost as much as I miss the Huey's. When I went to Air Assault School, we trained out of Huey's. Got to my duty station and all of a sudden they were just "gone"... replaced by the Black Hawk seemingly overnight. Amazing.

James
Old 04-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #31
Hob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnemj View Post
I may get flamed for this comment but at 57 years old and being in sales for 36 years I have come to realize that some people just can't be made happy. While 98% of the people don't care that the fabric seam on the dinette is 1/16" of an inch off, for others it is a major issue and they feel the need to post about it. When I read some complaints that are posted about campers, I am willing to bet money that the same people find fault with most of their purchases.

I have no comment or I will catch thunder from the admins and/or moderators.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:35 PM   #32

OK, I'll start

We got our Shamrock 19 last year and are in love. The only issue was it needed a whole new roof after a storm brought a tree down on it a week before we left on our first trip!!

Seriously, though, you'll love the upgrade from the pop-up, the Shamrock/Roo's are great vehicles, and from what I've seen, dealer support is great. Can't wait to get our for the first time this year, and we are planning on making up lost time from last year and spending alot of time in the '19 this year

Enjoy, you won't regret it!!!
Old 04-21-2012, 03:38 PM   #33

Quote:

I can agree with you to a point about not expecting perfection in all things...

I won't flame you by any means. But being only ten years younger than you, I can tell you that I do remember a time when you purchased things in this country and expected them to perform exactly as you were told they would, or look exactly like what you paid for. Seems that we have gotten away from that in the past 20 years. We are now expected to just "accept" what we get and then shut up about it.

I can take being shorted a few sheets on a toilet paper roll. I can take a scratch in a bed post on a new bed. I cannot take anything less than the performance or workmanship I paid for when it comes to thousands of dollars (maybe hundreds of thousands in some cases).

Maybe it is just me, but I also see a difference in businesses lately. It seems like the sales people I deal with treat me like they are doing me a favor by ALLOWING me to purchase something from them. I don't get it. I absolutely do not need them or anything they have to sell, but the attitude that I should be greatful to them is still pervasive. Maybe things have changed since you left the business world?

Anyway, Im not flaming or trying to jump on your stance. It is just my experiences and opinion only.

James
Old 04-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #34
Hob

Doesn't it really irrigate you when you know as much about the product as the sales person does? Shows the quality of about 2/3 of the salesmen today.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:45 PM   #35
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
While you can't please all the people; all the time, you should never have issues like some poor unfortunates here that got trailers built on "Game Day." Crooked seams on cushions are not what they are griping about when they complain about quality issues.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #36

I too enjoy this forum and having recently bought a new 21rr appreciate the helpful tips and advice that people offer. I am going to add my two cents worth of comments. When I was a little boy growing up in the fifties my father bought a new Buick every year. The car dealership would tell him to take it home drive it a few days and make a list of problems and bring it back and they would take care of it. There were always problems, most minor but some like the power steering pump falling off and the AC not working might be considered major. But that was the way it was and things were fixed and made right and everyone was happy and we laughed and joked about what would happen to the next car. During this same decade the TV invaded everone's home and the TV repairman became part of the family. Most any night you could look up and down the street and see his car parked in front of someone's house. (In those days tv repairmen made house calls just like doctors, who incidently only charged $7 for a call.) Then in the sixties the Japanese began to make TV's that didn't break. In the seventies the Japanese began sell cars in the US that didn't need to be repaired right after buying them. Today campers are one of the few things that are still made in America by Americans and sold by Americans. And someone said the salesman doesn't know much about the product he sells. I can recall being in college and having a couple of sales jobs, one selling cars and the other selling campers and mobile homes. I know I didn't know much about them at the time.

I guess if this ramble has a point it would be that while the product, the sales and the service is not always perfect the world of camping provides us with lots of fun and an opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors and the company of others. I know I have enjoyed camping since my first tent in the sixties. Happy camping to all and to all a good night.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
Doesn't it really irrigate you when you know as much about the product as the sales person does? Shows the quality of about 2/3 of the salesmen today.
I couldn't agree more. In fact there were alot of things I knew about the unit I bought that the salesman had no clue about. Surley they have to realize that in the day and age of the Internet, you can research things till you are blue in the face. Quality of products and the people that sell them has went way down.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:25 PM   #38

We bought our 233S last October and LOVE it! There are minor things that may need to be tweaked, but half the fun of owning a camper is tinkering with it. This (and other) forums are a great place for advice and/or information, but as has been shared here, mostly what you hear are people looking for answers to problems, not praising a flawless product. Chalk this post up as a positive recommendation! As I said, we love our 233S!
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:27 PM   #39

Thank you!!!
Old 04-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #40

let us not forget

let us not forget
there is no feeling
like getting with family and friends