Old 04-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
About to cancel my Roo deal

Hey everyone!
New to this board... I like all of the helpful info on this site... Wow!

Anywho, we are supposed to go pickup and sign all paperwork, get the walk through, etc. next Saturday on our 2012 Roo 233s. After coming to this board to get some insight on the Trailer, I am now about to cancel.

I need to know, are these Hybrids really as much of a nightmare as ALOT of the posts would seem to indicate? I mean, we can afford this RV, but it is a BIG EXPENSE for our family budget. I am the kind that won't be "let down" or "disappointed" if the bunks leak, or door panels fall off, etc.... I am the kind that will stroke out about it.

So, in the interest of possibly spending a good amount of money just to end up having a stroke... are there any folks here who have owned one and have "basically" nothing but GOOD things to say? I know that people come to message boards with their problems, but there has to be some who are happy with the Roo.
Any thoughts are appreciated and again, great group you have here!
Thank you,

DSN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

In my experience the "squeaky wheel gets the grease." Just like there are hundreds of very happy Concertone radio owners on this board; there are plenty of Roo Crew folks here who love their campers.

Folks usually come here with problems or questions; not so much to "sing the praises" of Forest River. Make sure you can tow the rig safely and don't overload the tow vehicle or camper and you will be happy I am sure.

Yes, Karma plays into everything we do and some folks are snakebit. Some folks also make their own bad luck. My Grampa used to say, "Act in haste; repent in leisure." and he is so right. If you did your due diligence and the camper is in your price range and load range for the truck you should not make your buy decision based on some posts here from folks who did not.

This is just my opinion of course; and I won't be buying your loan if you are unhappy. The Board (Forum) has NO relationship with Forest River. We are just campers who like and use their products.

Good luck with your purchase, what ever you decide,

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Hi James,

We are happy with our 2012 233s

As background, I've owned a view trailers used and this was our first new unit.
Our 233s has been fine - leak free and nothing major. It's great for my family of five.

As Herk and you noted, many come here for help with problems. I have yet to read a thread that begins with "Hi, my trailer is better than expected and all is fine with the world. Have a nice day!"

It just doesn't happen because the vast majority of campers (including me several years ago) were just happy to camp. Some have had issues. Nightmares even. I feel badly for them. Truly. But trust me that most units are fine.

Not to say we haven't experienced problems - a wonky radio, a tear in a cushion, that kind of thing. All has been, or will be, handled under warranty. No worries.

Some issues with hybrids have been caused by uninformed owners but that's why the rest of us have found our way here.

Expectations are another issue. People expect the same quality from their trailer as with a new car. Ain't going to happen for any number of reasons. Like a boat, you will love it but know there are some issues you will have to deal with. Nature of the beast whether it's a $100,000 MH or an $18,000 hybrid.

Bottom line is the hybrid offers us a lot of interior space in a short towing unit and the ability to still sleep under canvas, which we love.

DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Lou and Triguy,

Thank you for your responses.
I understand that people often gravitate to forums to share concerns and to get help with repairs, it is the nature of the beast. Maybe I shouldn't let those unlucky enough to have problems right out of the factory paint my thoughts on the matter with such a broad brush. I'm sure you understand that I am concerned after reading some of the horror stories as well as some of the smaller problems folks have had. Just looking for some with experience in this area to put my mind at ease.

I have camped my whole life so experience is there as far as that goes. My family started in ground tenting then moved up to a Pop Up which I have been towing around. We have 4 kids and we need more space now.
TV is a Suburban with 4.10 gear ratio and I have towed 6 to 7K before with it. (Disappointing in the mountains above 7 thousand feet to say the least, but it gets it done)

Thank you again. Hoping my fears will be alleviated before I sign papers.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
I have had my Rockwood 2601SS for 5 1/2 years and had no leaks or problems. I think the Roo's construction would be similar mine (except the soft sides). If you deiced to buy it do a good walk through and have them fix any issues before you take it home. I had some adjustment that needed to be done after delivery that's about it.
Use a list like this PDI Checklist
2007 Rockwood 2601SS (SOLD)
2003 Chevy Express AWD conversion van. 5.3 3.73's
2007Rockwood2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
We are also new to the whole travel trailer thing. When we decided to make the leap we had input from some friends and alot of advice from this forum. You've had pop-ups so the next logical step is either a hybrid or hard slide type trailer, unless you're ready for the 5'er experience. I'm sure you had to deal with some issues with the pop-up, so you should know what to expect. I think starting with an under $18K trailer is not a bad thing even if you have a few issues to contend with along the way. Good luck with your decision.
TV: '15 Ram 6.4 Hemi CC 4x4
Old TT: '12 Rockwood Roo 19 (sold)
New TT: '14 CR Sunset Trail 290QB
WD: Equalizer 1200/12K
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant
i've had my Roo 23SS for over 5 years and other than some minor issues, it's been a great purchase.
i'm a member of 5 different hybrid forums and i agree about the "squeaky wheels".
most of those who have no problems, really have no reason to post.
why would they start a thread, like: "i've had no leaks in my hybrid and i'm loving life!!"?

most RV forums have people with issues or needing information, posting on them and members answering those posts.
it's either, "this is the problem with my RV" or "i just got this RV and ..."

the vast majority of hybrid owners don't have real leak issues.
a lot of these "leaks" are from condensation or trapping canvas in the seals when closing it up.

are there issues? yes, all hybrid brands have had some units that have had bunk leak issues.
with modern RV factory quality control, especially on the lower-end RVs, like popups and hybrids, you're bound to have some issues. they aren't built like automobiles so don't even compare the two industries.
you'll find all types of RVs with quality issues, no matter the price or brand.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
As the saying goes:

One upset client will tell 10 people and 1 happy client will tell no one.
Denis & Diane
2010 Sabre 31REDS
Ford F-250 2011
* Happy Campers *
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #9
Happy Shamrock 183'ers

We have had our 2011 Shamrock for almost a year, this June. We moved up from a pop up and wouldn't think twice about doing it again. We just absolutely love it. We are still learning the ins and outs of everything on our camper but have no complaints and have not had warranty work done on it and does not need any. I guess we are very lucky in that aspect.

We looked at many campers, used and new prior to purchasing ours, did a lot of research and took our time in deciding what we wanted. I believe we got the best deal for our needs. The funny thing is, we knew more about the camper than the salesman trying to sell it. Anyways, good luck and we wish you the best and happy camping.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aj1 026.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	12476  
wellcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #10
Thank you to all!

I am getting the sense that my fears, while not completely unfounded, may be exagerated.

Most of you are right in saying what I thought at first... that is that these forums are filled with good people looking for answers to problems. The point was made more than once that people don't come on here just to say "my Roo is perfect and I don't need help with anything" usually...although I do enjoy reading those posts. It makes me happy for them.

Wellcoman, I have done the same as you, and I have been telling my salesman all kinds of things he never knew about hybrids. I guess there are just too many models for them to keep up with.

As of now, I'm feeling better about the whole thing and will probably be joining the rest of you in ownership of a hybrid camper next week. I hope I can learn a thing or two and be able to come back and share knowledge with those in need.