Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #1

Adding a cable from the back to the front on my 233S

Hello everyone. On our old Starcraft hybrid, I had added a camera on the back of the trailer, centered up high. I found it quite easy to snake the cable over to the side and then down the corner and out through the belly. I tie-wrapped it to frame members and other cabling right up to the front by the hitch.

So now I'm wondering if anyone that has a 233S has done anything similar. And if so, what was the route they used. I could take a stab at it like I did with the Starcraft. But back then, I didn't have an online resource like this to bounce ideas off of...

For those that might be wondering, I've got the associated cabling run from the cab of my truck to the hitch. With the flip of a switch, I can switch front the factory camera mounted on the tailgate and the camera on the trailer. It shows up right on the indash nav display. And with a bit of help from my "lockpick", I can even turn it on while driving down the road.
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

This will be a thread to watch, Mark.

I have installed wireless cameras before just to avoid the wiring you are talking about. But, it would be a cheaper way overall and maybe more reliable if it can be hardwired cleanly.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:14 AM   #3

Hi BeagleIL,
We did a similar install on our Roo 19.
Here is a link to the install on another forum RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Another rear view camera install
Attention Mods....if this isn't ok, please delete!
4Jeeperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Jeeperz View Post
Hi BeagleIL,
We did a similar install on our Roo 19.
Here is a link to the install on another forum RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Another rear view camera install
Attention Mods....if this isn't ok, please delete!
Not a problem. An excellent article.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
jbdbsb

I have a rear camera on my R00 233S. I mounted the camera on a bracket which attaches to one of the crews for the "piano Hinge" on the back bunk. I found a good quality & very inexpensive camera on Amazon.com that has an excellent wide angle view. I also found a 25 foot video/power combo cable there also. It runs from the trailers back bumper to the front tongue and is zip tied along the truck to trailer cable and plugs into the truck lead at trailer cable port. I used the cable that came with the camera to run from the bumper of the trunk up to the dash. It then plugs into my 7" GPS unit that has a A/V input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0152.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	15139   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0153.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	15140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0154.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	15141  
jbdbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleIL View Post
For those that might be wondering, I've got the associated cabling run from the cab of my truck to the hitch. With the flip of a switch, I can switch front the factory camera mounted on the tailgate and the camera on the trailer. It shows up right on the indash nav display. And with a bit of help from my "lockpick", I can even turn it on while driving down the road.
OK - We need more detail on this little trick!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel702 View Post
OK - We need more detail on this little trick!
Ever since we've had a factory DVD player, I can't stand the inability to "control" the DVD player from the front seat while driving. It's not like the old VHS days where you pop it in and it plays. So when they want to play the movie or the bonus material or anything else they want to control via the DVD menus, my wife would have to lean back and hit the buttons. With a Lockpick, you can control it right from the NAV screen as if you are parked. And my front seat passenger can watch the movie if they like. Or you can turn on the camera. And one of the most important things to me is that you can fully control the NAV system like search for a destination. Too many times we find ourselves deciding while driving that we would like to stop for the night or maybe we're hungry. With the factory NAV system disabled as soon as you pull away from a stop, I find it super inconvenient that I would need to pull over to the side of an interstate so I can find a place to stop. The Lockpick gives you access to everything in the NAV system as if you are stopped, all while driving down the road.

Navigation Lockpicks and Prius Accessories
BeagleIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdbsb View Post
It then plugs into my 7" GPS unit that has a A/V input.
What GPS do you have? I didn't realize some have A/v inputs. That's a neat setup.
RazorB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
jbdbsb

Magellan Roadmate 1700. It's a huge 7" screen. Tigerdirect and Amazon.com for under $100!
Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #10

We just purchased a 21SS Roo and one of the first things I did was slap some cameras on it. I found a little 7" quad-channel monitor and bought 4 small cameras (because I'm a gadget nerd and my middle name is Overkill).

I mounted one of the cameras on the tail gate of the truck for backing up to the hitch. #2 went on the back of the roo to see what's directly behind me. #3 and #4 each went just below the level of the frame of the camper, a few feet in front of the tires and look out at an angle so that I can see the blind side when turning in reverse.

I wanted them to be "always on" (rather than coming on only when in reverse) so I powered it all from the 12v aux/charging feed on the 7-way connector... I tapped in behind the socket on the truck for the tailgate cam and monitor, and inside the junction box where the Roo's power cable terminates for the 3 cameras on the trailer.

I had to make some brackets to hold the cams on the trailer... Some tinkering with metal for the two side cams and I wound up using mostly PVC pipe (in an L shape) for the camera at the back of the trailer. I attach it to the spare tire bracket with a C-clamp and the spare tire hides/shelters most of the bracket. Made them all to where I can pretty quickly disconnect them for when the trailer is in storage.

As for practicality... So so... The tailgate cam is awesome and I can land the ball under the hitch perfectly on the first try now (and for me, that is saying a lot). The two side cameras are pretty good... Can definitely see cars beside the trailer when traveling and where the tires are situated in relation to objects on the ground like the stripes on the road and close obsticals when backing up. The camera behind the trailer (which is the one I really wanted in the first place) is a little disappointing. The ones I wound up with are really wide angle, so there is practically no depth of field. Things have to be really close for them to be visible, much like looking in a convex mirror. Still better than nothing, but I might poke around for something that isn't quite as wide for that cam since I can see down the sides pretty well with the other two (and those "mirror" thingies on the sides of the truck ).

The 4-channel monitor lets me have all of these views at the same time if I want, or toggle to a single full-screen view or a split 2-cam view (for any of the cameras).

In response to the original question, I found plenty of places to tie-wrap the cables to the frame of the trailer. I put them all in split-loom on both the trailer and the truck to help protect them. I mounted mine relatively low because I didn't see a very clean (easy) way to get up high on the trailer.

I don't have any pics at the moment, but will take some in the next few days if there's any interest. Not sure if links to the hardware are allowed here, but I'll share if so.

Anyway, it was a fun project (even if I did get a little carried away).
jas0420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 12:20 AM   #11

JAS - Three questions:

What was the camera kit that you selected?
How did you mount the tailgate camera?
Any project photos that you can post?

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #12
jbdbsb

Here's a (tigerdirect) link to the Magellan Roadmate 1700 for $90.00
Magellan RM1700 7 GPS - 7 Display, Text-To-Speech, Lane Assist, 6 Million POIs, 3D, US/Canada/Puerto Rico Maps, AV Inputs, (Refurbished) at TigerDirect.com RB

You can go to Magellan.com and get one with Lifetime map updates
Old 06-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
JAS - Three questions:

What was the camera kit that you selected?
How did you mount the tailgate camera?
Any project photos that you can post?

Hi, I just started a new thread in the mods section to elaborate on what I did and answer your questions. Link: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post209605

Jason
jas0420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s, led pad