Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Adventurer

Adventures

Went to pick up the new Roo 233s from the dealer. Warranty work and service at Ruff's RV was great.

BUT

As I hurriedly hitched up the trailer to the TV, I paused to put up the windows in my 2004 f150 screw as the rain started coming down.

Left rear window stops in mid ascent, makes a crunching noise and slips down into the door frame. What now!

Decide no other option but to tow trailer 30 miles home, drop it in the driveway and find a ford dealer.

Pull out of the RV store, uh oh. Lights on trailer "brake lights" not working. Death grip on wheel as I navigate to the nearest exit rampant hope nobody read ends me.

Jump out in the rain, wiggle the 7 pin adapter and light issue resolved.

Jump back into the truck looking like a wet rat and finally make it home with a drenched back seat.

Dropped trailer in drive, called liberty ford in Solon and the agreed to stay late and let me pull my truck into their service bay.

45 min later and another 30 miles of driving, I am now home and had to tell the kids that the long awaited first camping trip that was supposed to start tomorrow at punderson state park is now on hold.

Wow! This beer sure tastes good right now.

Hopefully liberty ford will come through and I may still get at least one over night at the state park.

If not, drive way camping and s'mores in the back yard will have to do.
Local Ohio CGs - West Branch SP
4kmprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:05 PM   #2

You know what they say.... "when it rains, it pours"

I just had to.....

I'm glad you got it all worked out in the end. Thank goodness they agreed to stay late and fix your window for you! (did it just slip out of the track?)

Now it is time to plan the NEXT camping trip.

James
DSN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Adventurer

the glass window is fine. the accuator broke. had the same issue with my front passenger window 2 years ago. there were a couple you tube videos that i used and a buddy and i repaired it.

didnt have the luxury of time or my buddy though this time so the dealer gets to benefit.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Had a weid experience when we went to get our new 5ver 2 months ago. Have had our 05 Silverado for 6 yrs and never failed to start. Got to the dealer, they installed hitch, backed up to hook up, stopped killed engine. Finished the PDI, mech wanted to try trailer brakes, truck refuses to even click. New battery a month before. Mech checks battery, full charge, everything else works, lights, door locks, radio, etc. Turn key to start, nothing. Pull out of Park, go thru the gears and back to Park, nothing. Hit starter with hammer, nothing. Mech picks up tools, I reach in thru window, turn key to start and voila, it starts. Drop trailer at home and head for Chevy garage. They check everything and say everything checks out. $50 shot and I leave. No problems since. Gremlins I guess.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #5

Bummer! Sorry for your troubles. Just this past Sunday the window on the rear passenger door of my 2005 F150 just fell into the door while driving. After a quick search online it seems that failed window regulators are quite common in our trucks. Picked up a new regulator at O'Reilly's yesterday and will attempt to replace it this weekend. I was able to pull the glass back up by hand and duck tape it in place for now. Sorry yours had to go at such a bad time!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

FORD, Figure On Repairs Daily. Couldn't resist, SORRY!
Old 04-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #7

Knew it was coming!
Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Every vehicle has it's problems, Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge and all the foreign trucks & cars. Some just are more talked about than others.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Every vehicle has it's problems, Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge and all the foreign trucks & cars. Some just are more talked about than others.
So true!!
I've owned GM's (Suburbans, Trucks and Tahoes) most of my adult life aside from the 5 Jeeps that have been my hobby (lift kits, lockers, winch bumpers and junk). And I can tell you that I love Chevys..... no wait a minute, I hate Chevys... no.. I love them.... but then I also hate them!

You get the picture. I could tell about all the good things and in the very next breath tell you every little and BIG thing I KNOW GM hasn't fixed that have been problems for 20 years. Amazing really.
DSN46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #10

Hear ya! When they're doing what you want you love 'em, but the minute they disagree with you the relationship goes sour fast! Wait....am I talking about my truck or my DW?!?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
Adventurer

left read door window regulator replaced. 400.00 out the door.

DD#1 and I are going to make the best of it and head out first thing tomorrow.

its been a great truck. the title of this thread sums it up. no matter how much you plan, something will always come up when you least expect it.

reminds me of the time i got caught in a torrential thunder storm on my way into work while driving my toy, an 99sl500, with the top down. no overpasses in sight and 5 miles to the next exit. had to just laugh and keep on driving. arrived at work and had to use the hand dryers to dry out my clothes.

or, the first time i attempted to take down my awning on my pop up after a rain storm. i removed a pole without looking up and seeing that the awning had caught a tremendous amount of water. i got totally drenched.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

4kmprs, sounds like you are a magnet to water!
Old 04-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
Adventurer

dunnnc, was thinking the exact thing as i finished typing.

least i provide my family some comic relief
Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #14
Adventurer

my kids still laugh when they remember the time when i towed the used pop up i bought home and attempted to back it up my 150 ft long very narrow driveway.

they sat at the living room window and counted the number of times i circled the block before i finally got lucky with the angle and got the trailer backed up past he apron.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #15

Just finished installing a new regulator in my right rear door. Got the part at O'Reilly's for $122.95. Took about 1 hr 20 m and at least 20 minutes of that were spent scraping the duct tape residue off the window that was used to hold the window up this past week. This tutorial was invaluable: http://www.liveintensely.com/2010/06...dow-regulator/ incase anyone else with a similar truck ever has this problem and the time to tackle it themselves.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
Adventurer

newtxs3,

think that the same video i used the first time. my regulator for the front passenger door cost about the same too. hated to pay the premium for the part and the labo this time.

just hitched the trailer to the truck and the kids and i are heading to punderson state park.

we will be testing out the furnace and heated mattresses tonight.

saw snow flakes earlier this am and temps are hovering at 40 degrees right now.

no way i would miss the opportunity though, especially when the kids are asking me to take them.

DW may join us later today.

punderson has a great lodge, a really nice indoor pool and a fantastic sunday brunch so there are things for us to do if my track record with water holds up and it rains this afternoon. DD, ever the optimist, "there's only a 60% chance of rain dad.". that means there is a chance that it won't rain too.

broke out the gloves and coat and yes, i am packing an umbrella too.

2012 camping adventures begin now!
Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
Site Team

be sure to run the furnace at home, before you leave.
you need to burn off the oils from the factory and open the windows and vents to do this.
you don't want to do this while at the campground, since it usually sets off the alarms.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #18

4kmprs,

Hope you have a good time and no more truck or camper troubles. Snowflakes!! This past Wed it was 104 here! Wish I were heading your way!
Old 04-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #19
Adventurer

At the camp site and all set up.

So much easier backing into the site and set up of the 233s was a breeze compared to my old 625d.

DD#2 and I drive way camped thee first night I brought it home and had to use the heated mattresses and furnace then so we already broke these items in before we ventured away from home.

Rain is making that fantastic sound on the canvas of the fold out beds.

Kids eager to head to the pool at the lodge.

Life is good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2048770691.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	12918   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2306135875.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	12919   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1861653770.jpg