Old 03-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #1

Air bed sofa or fold out?

We picked up the new 2015 23IKSS today and the sofa air bed option I ordered was not on it. The dealer said that FR had stopped shipping air beds due to problems. Instead I have a fold out sofa. Not a Jackknife but a full size fold out. It has the drawer under like the air bed, not the wood door like the jackknife.

I was not even aware that this was an option. I thought the choices were Jackknife or air bed. Could it be that I actually have the air bed sofa with no mattress? This foldout does have lots of padding like a mattress. Is this perhaps the foundation of the air bed?

Interestingly, in the bag of instructions that I received there was a sheet with the airbed warranty.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #2
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

If you have a drawer, you are supposed to have an airbed. My 2016 Wildcat 295rsx was delivered this month with a 4 cushion rear couch that has a drawer and an airbed in a bag.

Maxxis 16" E; Ride Rite AirBags w/AirLift 1 wireless compr; Adv.Folding 4 Cover Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset ball LCI Ground Control 3.0 4pt + 2pt Elec.Rear stabilizers; 3 Slidecovers; 10ft. Portabote 6000# Dexters; mor/Ryde CRE3000 w/HD Wetbolts; King Dish Tailgater; 5hp Outboard Dual A/C; Furrion 48 Rear Camera; Champion 3100 Inverter w/Extended Run
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:45 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbillsmith View Post
If you have a drawer, you are supposed to have an airbed. My 2016 Wildcat 295rsx was delivered this month with a 4 cushion rear couch that has a drawer and an airbed in a bag.
Comparing a sofa in a 5th wheel, to one in a much smaller hybrid TT, isn't reality. Your sofa is nearly 40" wider than the OP's sofa.
hybrid sofas are much shorter in length and would be lucky to have 3 cushions.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:09 PM   #4

Last year I ordered a brand new windjammer which came with a foldout sofa and queen size air bed. The air be was very good quality with a built in inflator and battery operated inflator. Trouble was, it was deformed so it could never lay flat. I went round and round with flair interior who supplies for forest river. The warranty department spokesperson for Flair was either blind or just ignorant when I sent them the pics which were glaringly obvious at just how deformed the original air bed was. Finally someone from Forest River actually intervened after I sent them the pics. The guy at Forest River was very helpful. They sent a very cheap replacement Intex air bed which retails for about $20. This bed was not only deformed at the pillow with an uneven sloping pillow across it, but it would not hold air. So they sent me another Intex to replace that one and it held air for one night. It went flat the second night so I just gave up. I complained to Flair about the cheap thin material in Intex mattresses and the shoddy seams but they were unconcerned. My guess is that Forest River has changed products again and those cheap air beds are an insult to any thing they sell, including a simple tent. Maybe they are, in fact, looking for an alternate replacement. The air beds come folded in a removable case. Beware if they give you an Intex. It is cheap crap. Go order a coleman or any other medium to high quality air bed if you want quality.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:33 PM   #5
rbq

Take a look at the Roo web page on Forest River.com. I think that there is a video on there of that sofa fold out & how it works.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbq View Post
Take a look at the Roo web page on Forest River.com. I think that there is a video on there of that sofa fold out & how it works.
Looked at the video and yes that is what we have. Also spoke to FR and they confirm that they no longer ship the air bed on Roos.

New question. Does anyone know how to secure this bed? When we arrived home from picking up the trailer, the sofa bed had unfolded itself about half way. We are lucky it did no damage.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:13 PM   #7

Sofa Bed

We too just arrived home from picking up our new Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite and the sofa had opened up just as Kanga 99 describes. Does anyone know if this is there is any way to secure it so that it stays closed while traveling or is this a defect?
Old 05-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #8

I contacted FR and the clarified the procedure. You have to keep the front edge up at like a 45 degree angle until the back is pushed fully against the back, then drop the front. It then locks in place. You can test it by trying to pull it out without lifting. If done right it locks in place. If closed wrong it will slide without lifting the front edge. I suggested that they add this to the short video on the website.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:07 PM   #9

Thanks Kanga 99 for the info. on the sofa bed. I will give it a try tomorrow. Happy Camping!
Old 06-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #10

Does anyone know if you can replace the air bed mattress with some sort of regular mattress. I've gone through 3 air beds in 1 yr. and frankly I'm just tired of taking these cheap things back. A 6 and 7yr old sleep on it, so it isn't leaking because of weight.

Tags
bed