Old 10-13-2011, 10:58 AM   #1

Almost total electrical failure

I'm certainly not an electrician. Have a 2010 Roo 23ss. Earlier this year, when I hooked up to a shore line at my home (using the big cord that came with the trailer), the GFI at the outlet would immediately trip. Some nice man from the Forest River forum advised me to turn off the breakers, plug into shore, then turn on the breakers one at a time. They all came on correctly until I got to the last one (water heater), then it tripped the GFI. No problem, everything except the water heater worked. I could live with that for the rest of the season. Recently I plugged into shore, then starting flipping on the breakers one at a time. Got to #5 (Converter) and I hear a soft hum for a couple of seconds then nothing (GFI in the garage is tripped). All the fuses are fine. I unhooked the battery. Tested it and it isn't fully charge, but it is has somewhat of a charge. When I unplug from shore and have the battery hooked up, the microwave lights up, the kitchen fan runs (very slowly) and the interior lights work (albeit very dim). When under shore power and the battery unhooked, even before I get to #5, the lights don't work and the fridge doesn't work. I'm at my wits end. My breakers are as follows:

1-Main
2-GFI/Fridge
3-Microwave
4-A/C
5-Converter
6-H20 heater

Can anyone enlighten me on what might be wrong?

Old 10-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #2

Don't use a house GFI'ed outlet. I'm also not an electrician but have read enough times here that GFI to GFI connections don't work. Hope this helps.

frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #3

You da man. I grabbed a heavy duty extension cord and plugged into the outlet I have my garage fridge in (non GFI) and Bam! Everything works fine, the converter is running, and the battery is charging. The funny part is last summer when we weren't camping, I plugged into the same GFI outlet as this year and didn't have any issues.

Glad I didn't hook up and drag it to the dealership... Thank you very much!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #4

i ran a gf for my trailer recently. it worked well until i rained. i went back to the conventional outlet also.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulsh View Post
You da man. I grabbed a heavy duty extension cord and plugged into the outlet I have my garage fridge in (non GFI) and Bam!
You scared me, reading your reply up to the "Bam!" and I'm thinking ok I just blew up this poor person trailer so I NEED to change my forum handle (name)!

Glad all is well. to the forum.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #6

Hahahaha! I guess I should have said "Hooray"! You saved me the time and total embarassment of taking it to the dealership. I'm one year into owning my first trailer and am learning as I go. This is a great website. You can pretty much find answers to anything or there are helpful people like frankm. Thanks again.