Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2009, 11:25 PM   #1

Ant Invasion

We opened our Roo this spring to find black ants had moved in and had tunnelled through our insulation. Due to a couple of bug bombs and a power washer, they will not be camping with us this year. However, we have damage and especially bedding that we don't particularly trust.

So we have been searching the net for replacement articles at a reasonable price but we are finding nothing for our older 23 ft Roo (2001). Do any of you have any suggestions? Also, do you know if the tunnels burrowed in the foam insulation may cause structually down the road?

Thanks
wifeyiffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:59 AM   #2

What kind of bug bombs did you use. We need to do the same to our TT.
2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax
* 4" MBRP exhaust
* AFE stage2 air intake kit
* Hypertech III, set on stage1
* back-up camera
* Putnam XDR class V hitch receiver
* Airlift air bags
2004 EZGO custom electric golf cart
rafcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:51 AM   #3

We used Raid. We used two for a 23' and left it sealed for 48 hours with gas and electric disconnected. When we went back in with a vaccumm we found only one spider moving, which we sucked up. Everything that could be removed from the camper got powerwashed and disinfected.

But we are looking for some items that were stained, and we do not trust the mattressess. So if someone can help us on where those can be replaced.

Thanks,
wifeyiffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:22 AM   #4

WE replaced our Mattress with a Dynasty Queen we got new off Ebay $297.97 FreeS&H. You can fine all sizes and brands as well as price ranges.
cat1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:16 PM   #5

I did some checking on this ant problem. I am told there are 3 things to use,
1. Ortho Home Defense....This is suppose to be the best thing to use
2. Terro Ant Killer
3. Food Grade Deatomaceous Earth....I don't know what this is, but I use Deatomaceous Earth or it is also called D.E powder for my pool filter, I don't think it is the same. So far I have not had any problems with ants, but what I did was put ant traps under all of my cabinets and even in the storage areas. A good place to protect is where the city water connects to your camper, If the hose is on the ground with one end connected to the water supply and the other end is connected to the camper the ants will use this as a bridge to get in around the connection. If you can access the back side of the city connection then you may want to inspect this area from the in side to see if you can see any light from the inside if so then you may have to re caulk the area. The other thing that can be done as well is to treat the ground where hoses and power cords are laying that's connected to the camper.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #6

ants man that's horrible
burrowed through the foam insulation, UCCCCh
we did the new mattress thing a few years back and went with a sealy model,
it was a queen and fit better than the stock one and tons cheaper and sleeeeeeeeppppppps real well
Old 06-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I see ants marching around my seasonal...outside only. I put ant killer all over under it. Hope they stay out! Good luck.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:35 PM   #8

We use the ortho home defense regularly. each time we set up camp i spray the tires, outriggers, jack, hoses and cords....pretty much anything that touches the ground and create a path for them to follow in to the camper. In three years we have never had ants, spiders, roaches or anything else....fingers crossed...

the otrtho home defense comes in about a gallon jug with buolt in spray nozzle and is supposed to last several months. we go camping at least once a month so im probably a little over kill spraying each time but it gives me piece of mind.
bama29fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo