Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #1
Sham183

Any ideas on what this might be?

I’m closing it down for the winter and I noticed the yellow discolored window canvas on my 2017 183. The bunks have been down for a couple weeks with some rain but I never noticed this before. Any ideas? Do I need to waterproof it again or is this just normal? It is on all 3 bunks. Maybe I’m over reacting to it but I want this to last many years. Thanks for any help or advice.

Tim

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3469.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	354.0 KB
ID:	154596
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #2

I would probably take it to the service shop and see if it needs to be warrantied.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #3
Sham183

That’s what I was hoping didn’t have to happen. My wife and I were just talking about that and you are confirming our thoughts a little more
Old 10-20-2017, 06:41 PM   #4

I mean it's not even a year old and I'm sure it wasn't cheap (I know ours wasn't). We have the 2017 23IKSS and have had rain and snow on our bunk ends and do not have any issues with them. We just took ours back to the dealer for a lot of other warranty work but our vinyl send to have faired through the weather great with just the waterproofing on it.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopwr4me2003 View Post
That’s what I was hoping didn’t have to happen. My wife and I were just talking about that and you are confirming our thoughts a little more
Unless your dealer is just around the corner, you may want to take pictures of all of the watermarked pieces and send them via an email. They may have the factory just send you replacements. However, that doesn't solve the why.

The other alternative is to wash this in a mild soap. It may remove the marks. However, this is not just a spot clean. All or nothing. Trying to spot clean will only move the marks.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #6
Sham183

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Unless your dealer is just around the corner, you may want to take pictures of all of the watermarked pieces and send them via an email. They may have the factory just send you replacements. However, that doesn't solve the why.

The other alternative is to wash this in a mild soap. It may remove the marks. However, this is not just a spot clean. All or nothing. Trying to spot clean will only move the marks.

I took it into the dealer today. Only 15 minuets away. They were completely stumped as to what the heck it is or why it looks like that. 5 people at the dealer had the deer in headlights looks. So we will see what they say and do. I would assume they will replace them but who knows.

As far as mild soap and washing it that was already done and I think it may have made it worse to be honest. I will keep people posted as to what they say and/or do. Sucks it’s a new unit but I would rather it do it now then in a year or two and I have a hard battle to get a resolution.

Tim
Old 10-22-2017, 06:11 AM   #7

I saw this on a friends TT. The bunk ends also butted up to windows. The change in heat/cool in the spring created condensation that was absorbed by the fabric and into the yellow foam. The color from the foam leached through.
TonyShope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:36 AM   #8

this discoloration is not uncommon on the canvas ends...
It has happened on mine all the time.
The canvas is a tough product on the bunk ends. It can be cleaned.

I use three spray products on my bunk ends and they are snow white after the 4th fall now...
1. Awesome cleaner from the Dollar Store
2. Home Armor mold and mildew stain remover from Home Depot
3. various brands of spay on waterproofing, which is often needed after a deep cleaning... I like to use the hand pump spray bottles often found only in outdoors stores.

On a nice bright breezy day, open up the tent ends and thoroughly soak the canvas parts with Awesome. I use an old towel to soak up overspray/runoff. After the canvas dries, look for any leftover discoloration and hit it with the Home Armor spray. Light markings will disappear before your eyes. Heavy black marks might take a second spray. Once treated with Awesome, retreat the canvas only (not the vinyl) with the waterproofing spray.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #9
Sham183

Well it’s been a while on this and forest river said that this is not a warranty issue and sent me the cleaning instructions that they recommend. I’m curious of your thoughts on this. I have not done anything to the bunk ends other than icy clean and mild dish soap. I didn’t want to go much further on cleaning till I knew for sure that it was or was not warranty.

Name:	IMG_0321.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	169329

Name:	IMG_0320.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	169330

Thanks to all for the input.
Tim
Old 04-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #10
DW's 401(k) Plan

Sounds to me rsdata has the solution (pun intended!). If it has worked for him, I would feel safe to use it on my Roo, if I still had it.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopwr4me2003 View Post
Well it’s been a while on this and forest river said that this is not a warranty issue and sent me the cleaning instructions that they recommend. I’m curious of your thoughts on this. I have not done anything to the bunk ends other than icy clean and mild dish soap. I didn’t want to go much further on cleaning till I knew for sure that it was or was not warranty.

Attachment 169329

Attachment 169330

Thanks to all for the input.
Tim

We have used the bleach mixture you posted nice and it works amazingly!! No need to buy expensive Rv bottles. This works and does no damage.
NSNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:45 AM   #12

For years, I have had great success cleaning upholstery and mattresses with Simple Green. For really stubborn marks, 10 percent bleach has helped. Simple Green is the only product I use on auto upholstery and carpets.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:43 PM   #13
Sham183

Well I have been in touch with forest rivers warranty department and I have got good news for this. From day one of me having this unit I have noted all issues and have taken pictures of everything and saved all emails to the dealer and my salesmen. This was to my advantage for my issue on the canvas. I got a email from the warranty administrator and forest river and TJ snuggles will be covering all 3 bunk ends under warranty. Not sure what the final reasoning was for them to cover it but it doesn’t really matter. Now to get it in and have it repaired. I’m a little hesitant to take it to the dealer I bought it from but phone call after phone call to other forest river dealers do not want that claim on their records. Don’t blame them lol. But I’m happy to get this done. It took a while but I got the result so far I was looking for. Next step repair and hopefully it is done in a timely manner and correctly. Fingers crossed I have good news after the repair.

Tim
Old 07-01-2018, 02:22 PM   #14
Sham183

Any ideas on what this might be?

Update on this repair. All 3 bunk end canvases were replaced. Down fall now is the doors are out of alignment after the repair. I have water leaking in still or again. Possible that it’s just cause I did not spray them before hand and it happened to rain. They didn’t do all what they were supposed to according to the warranty paperwork. Replace seals on bunk ends and adjust door locks. Found numerous screws left out. Probably replaced with other screws but not sure. One bunk is so loose and saggy doesn’t even look like they pulled it tight. Just a horrible repair job after so much work with forest river claims did their part in honoring the warranty. Really this is now on the dealer for the bad repair. Hopefully I can get it done right soon. Just frustrating that these places sell you a unit and just don’t slowdown to take a look at what they are doing. Oh and one more thing. There was a hole in the brand new canvas and they said they were told to just patch it. Really? Anyways onward to see what happens next.

Name:	IMG_0653.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	177954Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0663.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	177955Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0658.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	407.1 KB