Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2011, 08:41 PM   #1

Any other metal detector enthusiasts besides me?

I've been metal detecting for about ten years now and love every minute swinging the MXT. Relic hunting old home sites is my favorite followed closely by coin shooting public parks. When at the beach (my wife hates this) I'm the guy combing the sand after the crowds leave for the day. I can't say I've struck it rich with gold and silver or lost any weight like on the commercials but I can and will say I've had some of the best times talking to strangers (mostly kids) about what I was doing. They are curious and willing to listen and learn. Usually after awhile it looks like I'm leading a conga line on the beach .

I have had several different detectors but my two favorite are the Whites DFX and MXT. I live smack dab in the middle of the start to the Civil War; Northern Virginia. The MXT is perfect the soil we have in this part of the country and it loves to find buttons, bullets, coins, belt buckles and other relics. I want to get a surf detector and really go after the little trinkets the fine folks leave behind in the waves but haven't decided on a make and model.

Chime in and let me know I'm not the only one wearing knee high socks, polyester shorts and ear phones on the beach .

Dave
drs244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #2

Hey Dave,
I have the IDX version which I have had for several years..a model whites no longer makes or calls something else. It is fun and relaxing, and it works great just need to use it more. I am jealous as to where you leave with all the true history at your door step sort to speak...Must be nice....We are taking the MH to a gold convention on the 19th in North Cal. One of the items I will be looking at is a Gold metal detector..I already like what I have read about the GMT, but need to see them all in action..

Good luck detecting and Happy adventures,
Barney
barlin44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #3

Barney,
Good to know I'm not alone. I have friends near Chico that have been trying to get me out there for some detecting but time is the limiting factor. If you ever come east there are lots of great places to swing the IDX. Good luck in you pursuits and hope you find the mother lode.

Dave
Old 03-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #4

dave and barney...i have been detecting since about 1980. i have been thru a lot of detectors and now use a whites MXT. i also prefer to hunt old home sites (1700-1800 era).takes a lot of research. i would love also to detect the beach where we have our trailer(chincoteague/assateague),but alas no detecting allowed,(assateague beach is federal property) the past few years i have been participating in an organized,paid CW relic hunt in culpeper,va.
not going this year. too close to trailer opening time,April 1st.
realebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #5

I had a Whites unit many years ago that has fallen to the wayside. maybe I should get another one...
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #6

realebill,

How long have you been partisapating in DIV? I belong to NVRHA and a lot of members seem to always get invited. I tried a few times and gave up after not getting picked. Have you found anything good at DIV?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #7

Danielflading,

Get another detector and start swinging again.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:38 PM   #8

When we are at Ocean City MD i see people on the beach early morning and/or in the evening before the sun sets swinging there metal detectors and scooping sand and putting things in there pockets and i will tell you it looks like fun. I do not have a metal detector but thought about getting one. I am not sure what i like the most, the nice smooth swing from left to right or the outfits.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:03 AM   #9

Rochwood06,

Well it's a difficult choice. The apparel is nothing less than the finest double nit polyester and is hard to come by these days. The swing of the detector take many minutes of practice but the kicker is the comb over hairdo.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs244 View Post
Rochwood06,

Well it's a difficult choice. The apparel is nothing less than the finest double nit polyester and is hard to come by these days. The swing of the detector take many minutes of practice but the kicker is the comb over hairdo.

Well the hairdo i never seen, everyone was wearing straw hats. As far as the double nit polyester back in the day when i worked in the printed circuit industy i was a metal finisher (Electro Plater) i had to wear double nit polyester because it was the only thing other then rubber that would last while working with chemicals. Maybe if i look long and hard i may still have a pair of pants then i could cut them off and make shorts out of them get a straw hat and a metal dedector then i could share in the experience.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #11

I guess I'm a fan but have not come out.

I would love to buy a metal detector, but have not openly acknowledged my love yet I enjoy reading he thread.

Regards,
Old 03-11-2011, 08:55 PM   #12

Come out of the closet and start wearing the goofy clothes, it's all good.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #13

I have the V3i....fairly new at the detecting and the trailer camping to be honest. I would love the opportunity to find some Civil War artifacts! I'm In Aurora, Colorado. It is not snowing this weekend and the temps are above freezing, so the wife and I are at Cherry Creek State Park as we speak. anybody do Geocaching? I do that too! Lots of cool toys that makes my bride roll her eyes! Lol! Steve Romeis
2008 Honda Ridgeline
Camping in 2011 =43
socref01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #14

Hey all,
"WHATS YOUR BEST FIND". I am not a full time detector, however it stays in my RV and have had lots of hours at CGs and creek beds etc.. I think my fovorite find is a pad lock which appears to be turn of the century with a bullet hole through it. Now with my imagination there has to be some extreme history behind it, like it came from a strong box off a stagecoach that got robbed by Black Bart..,,have a few freezer bags full of dirty coins which I will someday wash them..however it may become" Laundered Money"....next up for me is to try for some of that gold that seems to have elevated in price.
And for all of those that have not tried it..geez think of the exercise you are missing out on, like deep knee bends..up down up down...someone has to dig up all them pull tabs..hehehe

Good luck detecting and Happy adventures,
Barney
Old 03-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #15

Well, in Virginia I find a lot of Civil War artifacts. My best to date is South Carolina Cuff Button. Lots of bullets, a few belt buckles that were badly broken and artillery fragments. While digging a hut site I found a mess kit. I have also collected more than my share of pull tabs, cut nails and LOTS of general trash. I found a girls bracelet at the beach along with enough coins to fill a five gallon bucket (over many trips to the beach) and a few rings (nothing I could retire on).
I just enjoy searching, not exactly sure what I am searching for, just searching. The way I see it, if I don't have an agenda then everything I find is a treasure.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #16

div detecting....

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs244 View Post
realebill,

How long have you been partisapating in DIV? I belong to NVRHA and a lot of members seem to always get invited. I tried a few times and gave up after not getting picked. Have you found anything good at DIV?
i've gone to the last 6 events...had no problem getting on the list,but it does take perserverance....when i 1st started following the div website,i posted as much as i could ...seems as if you get a little notority (posting) you are more apt to get picked. you have to follow whats going on and sign up for a hunt when its announced. then make sure you follow all updates regarding getting your name picked. if you are picked,you have to follow up with a confirmation.
as for my finds...i've gotten a lot of bullets,buttons,some confed., breast plates,(no buckles sadly..although there have been 100's found by others)plus i got to see a ton of great CW artifacts dug,including 100's of bottles.
a great time,but after 5 or 6 hunts my wife thought i was spending more $$ on DIV than the trailer....
realebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 05:36 PM   #17

I have the White 6000 Di Pro with a Blue Max deep scan 950 head. Have found quite a few coins, arrowheads and rings, lots of pop tops. Been using it every where I can but got run off a state park beach in destin florida. Only place I have been turned down.
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill and theresa View Post
I have the White 6000 Di Pro with a Blue Max deep scan 950 head. Have found quite a few coins, arrowheads and rings, lots of pop tops. Been using it every where I can but got run off a state park beach in destin florida. Only place I have been turned down.
Wow..I just read about the Whites DI Pro detector..very nice.....Keep searching sounds like you are doing good with it. I just ordered the Whites GMT at a gold fever show..so now I will be camping in some "new to us locations"..Good luck
Old 03-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #19

I've always been intrigued by detectors and did some research on buying one a couple of christmas' ago. One day I'm sure I'll get one. This year it's a new trailer and whatever we need to go with that (moving up from a vintage pop up so lots to buy!)

BTW, we do geocaching. The more we got into it the better GPS's I'd get and once I got my dream one life got in the way and rarely get out anymore. We usually do it only on vacation and when camping now.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
I've always been intrigued by detectors and did some research on buying one a couple of christmas' ago. One day I'm sure I'll get one. This year it's a new trailer and whatever we need to go with that (moving up from a vintage pop up so lots to buy!)

BTW, we do geocaching. The more we got into it the better GPS's I'd get and once I got my dream one life got in the way and rarely get out anymore. We usually do it only on vacation and when camping now.
Ah..ya need to get ametal detector to keep in the new rig. Its like keeping your fishing rods packed...ya never know..
Is geocaching the rocks with th ecool quartz inside? If not what is it. And what was your dream one?? curiousity here..hehe