Old 04-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
2016 Shamrock 183 Hybrid

Any tips for closing new Hybrid Beds?

Just received our new 2015 (possibly 2016) Shamrock 183 Hybrid trailer.

Got an excellent walk through from our dealer, but remain mystified about the drop down beds.....and we have 3 of them.....lol!

After the panel was unlatched and lowered, we went inside to raise the cross support and insert the canopy ridge support. The cross support was under the folded mattress. This required pulling the folded mattress almost fully off the platform to gain enough clearance to pivot the support upward into position. My wife is well over 5 ft tall and about 120 pounds so this proved to be extremely awkward and physically demanding!

There's no factory information in the "all too generic" Trailer Owner's Manual. Nor can we find a "how to" video for a hybrid bed showing the newer style, which I believe was introduced a bout the 2014 model year.

Has anyone had good luck with removing the ridge support and allowing the cross support to pivot down and rest on top of the mattress before pushing the panel up and latching? What's the best trick to doing this? Anyone from Forest River want to chime in?

BTW....GREAT TIP on closing the windows and doors with the roof vent fan running to literally suck the canvas side walls inward. Thanks for that, and it's a testament to how well sealed these units are.

Anxiously awaiting this tip.....as it will allow us both to setup the beds.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #2

Unless it just changed, the "wagon hoop" lays on top of the folded mattress in real world use. Former long-time owner of a 21ss.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
Unless it just changed, the "wagon hoop" lays on top of the folded mattress in real world use. Former long-time owner of a 21ss.
X2. Hoop usually is folded down on top of the mattress, shepards hook lays in the folded up mattress. Not sure on the newest models, our 2014 has straps on the side of the mattresses that snap to the bunk ends and keeps everything in place while folded up
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Nites Camped 2016 -25
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:07 PM   #4

If you have a mattress topper and leave it on the bed, take care that the hoop lays straight across it without pinching the topper against the side of the mattress. Yes, the hoop compresses into the topper but that doesn't seem to hurt anything. However, our topper once slid a little sideways and the hoop pinched it, result in a tear in the topper when closing. Not a big deal. Just watch where it lays when you fold it down.
- 1999 Chevrolet Astro
- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi

- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 10:28 PM   #5

if there are beds fore and aft, is it still best to park with the tongue slightly down due to the incline of front wall? when stored that is...
Old 04-02-2015, 10:38 PM   #6

In both my htt pdi's, I was instructed to put the hoop in between the folded mattress. Definitely don't want it under the mattress. It is longer than the bunk so it will hit the bunk end when folded. I use a 8in gel foam mattress on my front bunk (dumped the yoga mat of a mattress). It won't fold in the bunk so I have to leave it out. But, have to be careful as not to allow the hoop to bottom out on the frame (like if it would have been under the mattress).
Old 04-02-2015, 10:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
if there are beds fore and aft, is it still best to park with the tongue slightly down due to the incline of front wall? when stored that is...
I've never understood the rationale for that. If you park the nose down to make the front wall vertical, doesn't the back wall end up off vertical? Even if not, what is it supposed to accomplish?
- 1999 Chevrolet Astro
- 2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4x2 5L V8 Hemi

- 2016 Ford F-150 SCrew Lariat 4x2 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 11:13 PM   #8
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparty047 View Post
Nor can we find a "how to" video for a hybrid bed showing the newer style, which I believe was introduced a bout the 2014 model year.
go to RVW's video library. they have a lot of videos on Roos and opening/closing the bed ends.
and the newer style came out in 2012, i believe, not last year.

and there is no one from Forest River to "chime in" here,
since there are no Roo/Shamrock factory staff who are members of the Forum.
only one Palomino hybrid rep is a Forum member.

there are only a handful of FR staff who are Forum members here and that's something they choose to do on their own.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:46 AM   #9

I would like to know about this too. I opened up ours for the first time and what a struggle it was to set up the bed. The cross bar was under the mattress, and the hook was in between the fold of the mattress...what a chore! I am only 5'3", so I had to struggle to get the mattress out of my way and try and use the hook to find and push the cross bar into the end. I'm hoping there's an easier way too!

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:54 AM   #10
Moderators' Assistant

makes me glad i have the older bungee and snap tent ends.
i'm 6' and can completely do the takedown and closing by myself.
the DW is 5'5" and can almost do it herself too but being able to reach in under the tents, makes it a lot easier to deal with the mattress, shepherd's hook and the C-loop.

so much for the supposedly easier pre-attached canvas.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, beds, hybrid