Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 07:21 AM   #1

Any Tips on Tent end set up?

I was wondering if you folks have any methods you use to get the tent pole in place. I am always banging it off the roof or wall. My wife slides in beside the mattress and pushes the frame up and then I push down the top of the mattress. That works okay when we are both there but how do you do it alone? I am sure you guys have a trick or two.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock04 View Post
I was wondering if you folks have any methods you use to get the tent pole in place. I am always banging it off the roof or wall. My wife slides in beside the mattress and pushes the frame up and then I push down the top of the mattress. That works okay when we are both there but how do you do it alone? I am sure you guys have a trick or two.
If it takes that much effort (especially if you have to "push down on the bed"), you probably have your pole set too tight.

Shorten it by one hole in the 'clicky-thing' and see if that is better. It don't need to be in there guitar-string tight. Just enough to hold the canvas taut.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:14 AM   #3

Thanks for response and I do use setting with the least strain. Maybe I described it wrong. When you open the bunk end the mattress is folded up and sitting on the shelf and the white tent frame is on the door. What do you do at that point? It appears that taking the mattress right off the shelf would be easier than reaching in and lifting the tent frame high enough to get the pole on it. That is when I am pressing down on the mattress, I am not even close to attaching the pole to the bracket yet. The pop up tent end was much easier than this. There has to be a better way than what I am doing.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:45 AM   #4

Not sure what you are doing wrong? I am usually outside lowering the ends while my wife is inside setting up the beds. I assume she slides the mattress into place with the end frame on top of the mattress. Then attached the pole to the frame and inserts the other end on to the catch.

Are you starting with the pole on the end frame or the bracket? You should be attaching it to the end frame first.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
Not sure what you are doing wrong? I am usually outside lowering the ends while my wife is inside setting up the beds. I assume she slides the mattress into place with the end frame on top of the mattress. Then attached the pole to the frame and inserts the other end on to the catch.
I wonder hat she does. How does she get the frame on top of the mattress? My wife is smallish 5'4" 130lbs and she slides in on her side and lifts the bar up then puts the pole in place and the drops the mattress down. Ask your wife as we are both curious.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:20 AM   #6

I am working from home today so I just went out there and tried something different. I slid the mattress up until the hinge is lined up with the door hinge and then took the pole out and let the end frame sit on top of the mattress and closed the bunk end door. That is a heck of a lot easier. I just had to pull the end frame forward so that it was not pressing down on the mattress so much. For long term storage I would prefer the end frame under the mattress as my hunch is the door would seal better that way.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
If it takes that much effort (especially if you have to "push down on the bed"), you probably have your pole set too tight.

Shorten it by one hole in the 'clicky-thing' and see if that is better. It don't need to be in there guitar-string tight. Just enough to hold the canvas taut.

Tim

I have three settings and I always put it on the first one from the tent to keep it tight but a buddy has a 2013 21SS and he only has one pole position which I though was odd bc his tent end is always loose

2016 F350 CREW 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
2015 FR Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 06-16-2016, 12:18 PM   #8

tent end frame stores on top of mattress works fine for long or short term storage both allow the tent door to close

putting the tent frame below the mattress only leads to the stress you are experiencing

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #9

Quote:
I slid the mattress up until the hinge is lined up with the door hinge and then took the pole out and let the end frame sit on top of the mattress and closed the bunk end door.
From what I understand, this is the correct way to store the frame and mattress, short or long term.

FYI, when closing up, after the pole and frame are disassembled, turn both exhaust fans on high. When you close the trailer door, the suction created by the exhaust fans will suck the tent ends in, enabling you to close up the bunk doors with much less chance of catching extra material in the seals.
taz_co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #10

Thanks for the feedback, that puts my mind at ease and it is a piece of cake that way. When we got it the bar was under that mattress so I just figured that was the way to do it.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:53 PM   #11

This is what I do with my Roo 21SS. I lower the bunk from the outside and then go back inside. I remove the pole from between the mattress fold and reach over the top of the mattress and raise the frame up and insert the pole into the frame socket and then attach the other end of the pole to the first or second notch in the bracket. Then lower and position the mattress. I'm tall so I can reach over the mattress without a problem.
Practice helps! Good luck!
2021 Rockwood, 2509s, pulled by a 2020 Ford F150 XLT, Super Cab, 3.5L Eco Boost, with 3.55 axle. Electric 10-speed auto trans w/tow mod. Heavy Duty Tow package & integrated trailer brake, 11,700 lb. tow capacity, payload is 1916 lbs. and 145” wheel base. Equalizer 4 point W/D hitch.
djemgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz_co View Post
From what I understand, this is the correct way to store the frame and mattress, short or long term.

FYI, when closing up, after the pole and frame are disassembled, turn both exhaust fans on high. When you close the trailer door, the suction created by the exhaust fans will suck the tent ends in, enabling you to close up the bunk doors with much less chance of catching extra material in the seals.

Yep fans on high all windows closed and main door creates suction on tent end material you can close up with one hand, works for me every time

2016 F350 CREW 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
2015 FR Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
Old 06-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #13
Broken Toe

Quote:
Thanks for response and I do use setting with the least strain. Maybe I described it wrong. When you open the bunk end the mattress is folded up and sitting on the shelf and the white tent frame is on the door. What do you do at that point? It appears that taking the mattress right off the shelf would be easier than reaching in and lifting the tent frame high enough to get the pole on it. That is when I am pressing down on the mattress, I am not even close to attaching the pole to the bracket yet. The pop up tent end was much easier than this. There has to be a better way than what I am doing.
Oh ok.. I see what you mean.

I lay the tent 'hoop' and pole on the mattress and then fold the end of the mattress over them (like a taco), then I fold the bunk end up,

That way, you drop the bunk, flip over the end of the mattress and there is your pole and hoop ready to go. Easy peesy.

And yes... The fan trick when closing up works great, but also open a door or vent when opening up. Makes it so much easier.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #14
Site Team

so, our old bungees/snaps tent ends do have some advantages to the new permanently attached ends.

the DW doesn't have to get inside the tent end to do anything.
i stand outside and can pull up the tent support hoop while she pushes it with the shepherd's hook.
and we can put bedding on the mattresses together, without either of us having to go inside the tent and on the bunk door on hands and knees.
she stands at the ledge and i'm standing outside.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:09 AM   #15

The same thing happened to me when I got my 23ws LOL I brought it home and the hoop was under the mattress! (The tech put it under there after the PDI, he insisted on folding it himself) I had a heck of a time getting it out of there in the back bedroom, I actually almost stuck it back under the first time I folded it and quickly tried folding it all up with the hoop on top of the mattress (proper way)!

I just pull the mattress back, pop the pole off and the hoop just falls down over the mattress, go outside and lift the end up and latch it, takes only seconds. Super easy!

But I can see how you might be VERY frustrated if you are thinking the hoop needs to be under the mattress each time.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:28 AM   #16
Site Team

We have an older Roo without the pre-attached canvas.
So it's easier to setup the tent ends.
We do fold the hoop support in the mattress.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote