Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #21

Love our hybrid! Started with tents, upgraded to a PUP (the one in your profile pic looks a lot like our old PUP), and now going on our 3rd year with our Roo 21SS. I am not saying we will not eventually move up to a larger TT or 5er, but don't see that happening anytime soon. Our Roo is just the right size for us, easy to tow, and easy to store. We have had no major problems yet. The front bunk door of ours likes to leak a little when closed during very heavy rain or driving in rain, so I am just careful about checking it regularly. Not a single leak when the beds are open. Love the openness of the 21SS, love being able to hear the creek through the canvas at night.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:34 PM   #22

On our way home from a week long trip now - spouse is driving. Only two trips out so far, but we truly love it!!! We skipped the PUP and went straight from tents to a hybrid. We have the Roo 23 ikss and it is perfect for our family of five. We are so glad that we took the plunge and bought it!
Old 08-17-2013, 02:54 PM   #23

Was a tent guy. Then a pop up guy. And now a 2013 Roo 23SS. Love it. Love it. Spacious. Lots of Storage. Easy up and down. No leaks and have been through some incredible down pours. And anyone who complains about temperature issues bought the wrong unit - it's no mystery what will happen temperature wise when you have tent ends. Wish I would have done this long ago. Know what you want. Know what the unit will or won't do. Then decided. I'm very happy.
CDNWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #24

I'm ready to upgrade from the HTT to a TT. I would just like easier set up and tear down.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #25

We just bought our first hybrid travel trailer. And we love it. We have a 2014 palomino solaire 147x. Set up is easy tear down is easy and it is very comfortable. After reading all the reviews on various sites about hybrids we decided to take the plunge and join the hybrid world. We don't regret it at all.
Sabdives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #26

We just got our new Shamrock 233S in June and have been out about 14 nights since. We lucked out with our PUP and rain. I think we only were out in rain about 4 times in 3 years with about 15-20 nights a year. We have already camped in 2 torrential down pours with the HTT, 90 degree heat and 50 degree nights. We even setup in the rain once already, much better than cranking up the PUP! As much as I laughed about the heated matresses, they are great to keep the cold from coming up through the tip out. I found if I start the AC or heat when the temp starts to change, it is OK. If you wait to long, it may take a while to get the camper back to a comfortable temp.The DW loves it, and will probably go for the PUGs. Everything I've read so far are people who have realistic expectations of what sleeping under canvas means are mostly happy. People who don't like dealing with setting up the beds or what comes through the canvas (noise, heat, cold, etc. tend to wish they got a TT). Happy hunting!!
jnkpautz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #27

We've only had our new 23ikss out for a quick weekend trip, but I love it so far. Upgraded from a 2008 Quicksilver that we enjoyed for years. Heading out for a 7 day adventure after Labor Day, so I should have a much better idea of how we like it after that trip.
ShanerT75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #28

We have a 2011 - Roo 233S.

We camp in it every weekend that we can (list count)!

We did have some issues but they were all resolved before we took it off the lot or soon there after under warranty

Since then no problems.

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Eco-Diesel
Previous Trailer -> 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #29

If you like apending over 20,000 on a camper that leaks by a hybrid. We bought a new 2014 Roo233s this year and I can tell you it's been nothing but a problem. It seems most of the Roo owners accept the leaks but I will have a new camper by next year and it will not be a hybrid. Even if I take a loss I believe it will be worth it in the long run. I can see this thing beginning to rot in a few years and I want to enjoy my camping a lot longer than that. By the way I had a pop-up for three years and never had a leak.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #30

We just purchased a 2013 Roo 21SS and after 2 trips in it, I have no complaints. This past weekend while at home, it was sitting out in the rain we have been getting here in FL and not a drop of water anywhere inside. No problems keeping it cool, and set up and tear down aren't bad at all. Planning on getting 10 years out of it, then when my wife and I both retire from the AF we are going big and going to get a 5er.
Nights camping 2013: 15
Nights camping 2014: 22
RoamingBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #31

Love our Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marines0811 View Post
Want to upgrade from my pop up to a Hybrid but most threads in here are about problems?
We have 2012 Rockwood Roo 19 and we love it. This is our third season with it!

My only regret was not getting the slide out dinette. Love sleeping under the canvas. We had a small leak issue, but was covered under warranty and was NOTHING like some of the horror stories I've heard.

We are a family of 5 now (we were 3 at the time of purchase), I have a 10yr old, and twin 13 month olds. As the twins get older, I think we may have to upgrade to a slide out option, maybe with the third bunk. For now, its the perfect size...comfortable for sleeping but not for hanging out in for a long period of time. I don't want it to be that comfortable inside for the kids....get outside!! LOL
KS_Carty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroo2 View Post
If you like apending over 20,000 on a camper that leaks by a hybrid. We bought a new 2014 Roo233s this year and I can tell you it's been nothing but a problem. It seems most of the Roo owners accept the leaks but I will have a new camper by next year and it will not be a hybrid. Even if I take a loss I believe it will be worth it in the long run. I can see this thing beginning to rot in a few years and I want to enjoy my camping a lot longer than that. By the way I had a pop-up for three years and never had a leak.
Your postings could be very helpful here if you would communicate experience and try to keep raw emotion out of the equation. I'm not saying disregard the truth or call something what it isnt. Rather, try posting what has been happening to you in specifics. Everyone has their own experience. I've had some good experiences and bad ones so far with my hybrid. But for me to say that my experience matters more than everyone elses and thats why they should follow my lead in their purchasing decision would be rather self centered and a denial of the truth. The truth is that a great number of people have had an excellent experience. Thats not to say that yours doesnt matter and it doesnt belong here because it (your experience) does. It can be part of the full accounting of possibilities of what a future hybrid owner may experience. Tell us what you like and dont like.

"I love having the freezer in my hybrid. I bring along ice cream now. Crazy and fun for everyone. Plus no more buying ice and throwing food away because it gets wet in the cooler."
or
"I really dont like the extra setup time the gizmos add when I use them. They are difficult to clamp on the top because they are so high up in the air which necessitates bringing along a ladder."

Sorry if this sounds condescending because thats not the intention. I read thru this forum quite a bit when making the decision to purchase my hybrid and upgrade tow vehicles. I found some postings were very helpful and others not so much. I know you want to be helpful and in my opinion you can be if you put some details on those bad experiences you are having.

https://instagram.com/pineforestcamper#
----------------------------------------
PineForestCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #33

Well, we've had most types of units but never a pop up so a hybrid seemed logical to us

What I like about our hybrid is the feeling of camping ~ it's cozy, love the bunk ends ~ it's like sleeping in a treehouse~ love the natural feeling and hearing rain on the canvas. It's an easy tow, easy to park, and goes most anywhere. With our 5er we would actually go to campgrounds with 15+ spots open and leave because the dern thing was tooooooo big.

What I don't like is the noise and light factor. We try to get spaces as far away from others and traffic as possible. I did invest in ear plugs ~ for the occasional necessity of them ~ The other things I don't care for are floor plan related, rather than type of trailer related. We had several trailers and there are things I liked about all of them, my absolute favorite was a Jayco Eagle Class C. It was amazing ~ I still miss it ~

for what we want / need now, our Roo is just right. ~ no leaking issues but we are fanatics about caulk, etc. We do use the PUG's.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #34

We just started using PUGs too. A pain to put on, but once they are there you can feel definite improvement in temp control, less light when trying to sleep in, and save you from a lot of cleaning on your bunk ends. It is all personal preference, but to us they are worth the extra set up time - especially for week long trips.
NewBerkFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #35

It seems that some Roo owners either accept the leaks as being a part of owning a Hybrid, Don't have the leaks (I wish) or have contacted either their dealers of FR to get tubes of sealer for their ends. I/we ordered a brand new 2014 233S a few months ago. We were happy with the looks and how big the hybrids were from the inside. We seasoned the ends many times, allowed to dry each time and from the first rain have had many leaks in the bunk ends. We also had rain pour in from a closed bunk last weekend but...there may have been a piece of canvas in the closure so I will take the hit on that. We seemed to have most of the leaks stopped in the forward bed and yesterday washed the canvas (with reg. canvas wash from dealer) Last night it rained and water poured in from all the seams. We had to sleep on the floor so the mattress would not get soaked. Would washing the canvas cause this? The other problem and I don't see this as just a hybrid is the refrig. won't work when it's hot outside???? I did put in the two fans and now it keeps cool but why in the heck should we have to do this when FR is aware they just don't work. Look at the forums and see what everyone is doing and build these fans into the campers please. Anyway, sorry if I'm one of the 10% who just happen to get the Roo that leaks, I find that number low when reading these forums. We bought new to stop the problems and now can't wait to buy a reg. camper to at least stop the leaks and not have to sleep on the floor when it rains.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroo2 View Post
It seems that some Roo owners either accept the leaks as being a part of owning a Hybrid, Don't have the leaks (I wish) or have contacted either their dealers of FR to get tubes of sealer for their ends. I/we ordered a brand new 2014 233S a few months ago. We were happy with the looks and how big the hybrids were from the inside. We seasoned the ends many times, allowed to dry each time and from the first rain have had many leaks in the bunk ends. We also had rain pour in from a closed bunk last weekend but...there may have been a piece of canvas in the closure so I will take the hit on that. We seemed to have most of the leaks stopped in the forward bed and yesterday washed the canvas (with reg. canvas wash from dealer) Last night it rained and water poured in from all the seams. We had to sleep on the floor so the mattress would not get soaked. Would washing the canvas cause this? The other problem and I don't see this as just a hybrid is the refrig. won't work when it's hot outside???? I did put in the two fans and now it keeps cool but why in the heck should we have to do this when FR is aware they just don't work. Look at the forums and see what everyone is doing and build these fans into the campers please. Anyway, sorry if I'm one of the 10% who just happen to get the Roo that leaks, I find that number low when reading these forums. We bought new to stop the problems and now can't wait to buy a reg. camper to at least stop the leaks and not have to sleep on the floor when it rains.
Sorry to hear of your frustrations. We bought a pop up last summer that had so many electrical problems, roof would lift properly, frig did not work properly, outlet caught fire just to name a few. In 1 year was in for repairs 6 times, and we never received help from the manufacturer or the dealer. We couldn't wait to trade it in for our roo, with a different dealer. Fortunately for us we love the roo and have had no issues whatsoever. Just as I'm sure there many owners of the same pop up we had who love theirs with no issues. It seems sometimes its just the luck of the draw in the unit you get.

Anyway, I hope you are able to get everything straightened out so you can enjoy your camper for what it's intended, camping! I understand how frustrating it can be to go thru what you are dealing with.

On the frig are you cooling it at least 24 hours before you leave? Not loading it with warm food or drinks?
Did the bed leak when you washed it? Is the support pole pushing the canvas tight so it's not pooling when it rains?
Scottnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #37
Broken Toe

And... My point is made.

tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #38

I guess I'm just not the type who believes I should pay good hard earned money and have rain pour in each time it rains. We can already see the discoloration around the corners from water. My point is why do we or anyone that pays over 20,000 for a camper have to ever have rain come in? FR should be figuring out how to season these bunk ends prior to shipping. No other manufacturer would get away with it nor would they if people just didn't accept it. Sorry I won't sugercoat a problem nor will I say there is non when there is. Read all these forums, there is a problem with leaks in the Roos.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #39

Ok does anybody know of a maker with less leaks ? The other Hybrids just look they are cheaply made.
Marines0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #40

I guess that buying second hand can be a blessing. When we got ours there were several days of rain and we went and just sat it in to make sure there were no issues. I realize this should be unnecessary, especially in a new unit. It seems to me the factory should be seasoning the seams & confirming no leaks before it leaves the factory.

Tags
hybrid