Old 08-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
Anybody like their Hybrid?

Want to upgrade from my pop up to a Hybrid but most threads in here are about problems?

Marines0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
I think that's the nature of forums. The cheerleaders have little to talk about, so they don't. The folks with problems need help, so they ask questions. Only a small set stick around to talk up their products.

(It's not just here- many moons ago in a very different situation, it was the same on another forum I frequented.)

2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Rockwood 23ss men falls
Yes! we got our 2014 23ss Roo in May and have been on three trips. One for 9 days out to Washington DC. We have had no serious problems and stayed safe and comfortable. Traveled well with my F-150. We had one electrical problem but resolved that when we got home. All I can say is that its good to learn what your camper can do and not do and then be handy enough to fix or improve things as you learn and use it. I'm sure your pop-up was the same way. Just make sure you buy from a dealer who knows the product and does as much camping as you plan to do. Make sure you have a safe vehicle to pull it too. Use the 75% rule to start; rated towing times 75 % should equal expected fully loaded trailer curb weight. My Roo is 4484 lbs with options dry and you add about 350 for max wet weight plus your stuff (in my case 941 lbs).
jaws2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Originally Posted by Marines0811 View Post
Want to upgrade from my pop up to a Hybrid but most threads in here are about problems?
We upgraded to our hybrid after 13yrs with the popup. Love it and wouldn't make any other choice if we had to do it over again.

The Roo/Shamrock tent ends were redesigned last year. Seems like they keep working to improve the ends and reduce problems. Hybrids do have potential for leaks. So far, no problems for us.

One thing to keep in mind on the forum postings - these are where everyone goes to get help (an maybe vent a little) so it makes it seem like the percentage of trailers with problems is higher than it actually is. In other words, most people don't start a thread saying "I have no problems" but anybody having a problem is going to start a thread to get help.

If you like the tent ends, but want to upgrade to more features and less setup, you probably will like a hybrid. I think that's how many of us got into them - started with a popup. Just factor in that potential for issues, but I don't think is by any means a certainty that all hybrids have problems. Companies wouldn't keep making them if a large percentage of the units had warranty issues. It wouldn't be profitable or worth the trouble to them.

2005 F-150 FX4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
We upgraded this year from a pop up to a hybrid and love it! We have been on 3 trips for a total of 14 nights and going again this weekend. Set up and take down is so much easier and less stressful which makes the trip much more enjoyable....not to mention the convience and amenities that come with it.

We have been out in the rain 5 or6 times, some of it torrential downpours without a leak.

Would make the change again without a doubt.
2011 Nissan Titan, 2013 Nissan armada
2014 rockwood roo 23ikss
2013 nights camping - 13
Scottnlaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
We had a Jayco Kiwi 23B. It was almost 10 years old when we bought it, and was our first camper. We put it on a seasonal site for about 3, and loved it! Had a few issues with it, but that is to be expected from a 10 year old camper, that apparently was not very well maintained by the previous owners. I actually liked the floor plan better than the one I have now, and If I got the right deal on one, and had the means to do it, I would consider picking up another one, just for when the kids, friends or family came to camp with us.
2013 XLR 27HFS Toy Hauler
2014 Silverado 2500HD Z71 Crew Cab
99 Club Car Golf Cart
djmac1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
We love our hybrid! Perfect floorplan for our family of 5 right now, we still enjoy sleeping under canvas and its easily towable with our Seq.

And, yes, like most hybrid owners - whether they're Flagstaff/Rockwood, Surveyor, Wildwood, Palomino, Jayco, etc - we have not experienced leaks.

I think you'll find most hybrid owners are happy. The ones that I have talked with and met with who were unhappy, usually admit they made a mistake in their initial purchase decision.

You gotta want the canvas!
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
Resident Masshole
+1 Very happy Roo 23SS owner. This is my first hybrid, and have had no leaks or issues on 10 trips and counting...
Tom F.
2013 GMC 2500HD SLT Crew Cab
2013 Rockwood Roo 23SS
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
+1 very happy Roo 233S owner. Our first hybrid coming from years of tent camping and we love it. As Triguy notes, if you enjoy sleeping under canvas and don't want to lose it, there isn't a better solution. Like everything, you will learn good and bad throughout your use of your camper, the key is to learn to fix the bad on your own and revel and enjoy the good!

Ed & Chris
Josh & Jaclyn
2012 Suburban LTZ
2013 Rockwood Roo 233S
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Up grading is the nature of the beast call CAMPING. We started with a Trailmanor, then a ROO 23SS - LOVED IT, just got too old to climb over each other in the middle of the night to poddy break. Went to a Rockwood 2604 - Loved it too. Then went to the dark side our current unit in the sig block. The ROO 23SS was a great unit. It was an 08 and had a little issue with the front bunk door bowing and leaking, all part of the animal. It you camp and the canvas isn't leaking then you're not camping.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote