Old 07-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by purduecmpe View Post
The expandable side of the RV is awesome but security does concern me. Has anyone ever had an issue?
Coming from someone that did some tent camping alone this is a valid concern. Several good points have already been made about RVing, expandable unit or not. Common sense plays a big role in safety. You could check out some campgrounds and talk to people with expandable units.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #12

u can encounter thieves anywhere. one other fellow told me u have more things that could be stolen but he has never encountered a problem. i haven't either. i am concerned but it looks like the other campers respect each other.

i can also say, i've never had a bear attack. the other part of that is that i don't want one.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #13
Site Team

I should had add this to my post but I have found tent camping and RVing to be pretty safe.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #14

We are the gentlest most loving and law abiding couples. My wife is a nature lover and saves baby birds and squirrels as a hobby. I am much more cynical and being older more precautious.
I never met a RVer I wouldn't have to dinner nor a fellow traveler I wouldn't help out....however reality is this country has changed and strangers on the road are considered prey by evil non working criminal minds. Also as previously mentioned, hungry animals can snoop and injure your pets in their pursit of food.
When traveling unfamilar paths and campgrounds we are self sufficient. Being naive and trusting although a "nice" thought is asking for trouble.
Be safe, be cautious, plan ahead and take precautions. Campers with canvas sides are vulnerable. Good advice close the sides while away and when occupied carry mace for wild animals and perhaps something more direct for two legged creatures who invade your domicile..
The population of higher echelon campgrounds is far superior to the general neighborhoods we left behind..just my opinion. The drifters looming around the campgrounds worry me.
Be safe and secure.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:34 AM   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1731120232.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	16416

Name:	image-3455220178.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	16417

Name:	image-420868697.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	16418

We purchased these motion detectors for our bunk ends. Haven't had a problem with intruders...
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #16
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
But National Parks sometimes do not allow "soft" camping in bear country.
as far as i know, the ONLY National Park campground, with a permanent ban on "soft" camping, is Fishing Bridge campground in Yellowstone.
all the other campgrounds there, allow tents, popups and hybrids.

and the Hybrid is unique in that you can "turtle" if you want to. this means leaving the bunk ends closed and sleeping on the dinette or sofa. many hybrid owners do this when doing quick overnights at a Walmart or rest stop.

hundreds of thousands of people still camp in tents, popups and hybrids.
if security was that big of an issue, then everyone would be camping in armored vehicles.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

hundreds of thousands of people still camp in tents, popups and hybrids.
if security was that big of an issue, then everyone would be camping in armored vehicles.
That says it all.

To the OP, its not clear if you are worried about personal items being stole, personal safety, or wildlife.

As for personal items, take a look at this thread ...Ever had camping gear stolen?

As for personal safety, I'll expand on what I wrote above. 40 years of camping (I'm 46) and I have maybe read of only a handful of stories about people being attacked in their tents and campers. Its just not that common. I personally think my fellow campers are more honest and less violent than the general population. And for those who say "yes, but it could happen!". Anything can happen to you anywhere. I believe its less likely to happen while camping.

Wildlife including bears. Well... a little common sense goes a long way. Don't camp around bears if its worrisome. Talk with the local DNR or ranger where you camp and find out what the chances are for your area.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #18

My DH labels me as "paranoid" when I want to lock our TT. And maybe I am. But if locking it makes me feel a bit safer, then there is no argument. We've had things stolen from our truck while tent camping, so it does happen! ive never experienced anyone "lurking" outside a campground, but then again, we don't exactly camp in large cities with homeless people nearby. I would have no qualms about having something to protect me and my property if camping near a large metropolitan area.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
To the OP, its not clear if you are worried about personal items being stole, personal safety, or wildlife.
Good point.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #20

Unfortunately there are no places that are immune from people with bad intent. Criminals are mostly opportunists, so if one uses common sense they are mostly safe. Yes, hybrids are easy targets because of the tenting, but if you are somewhere that doesn't have other friendly eyes to keep a watch on things, you would be smart to not leave anything in the camper that you don't want gone. That goes for a hybrid, popup, hardside or Motorhome. They aren't built with security in mind.

Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock