Old 07-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #1

Anyone ever had security issues?

The expandable side of the RV is awesome but security does concern me. Has anyone ever had an issue?

Old 07-11-2012, 06:07 PM   #2

We never did when we had a pop-up or Hybrid. If you have a specific reason for concer, you could always close up the beds when leaving the unit for the day.

MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #3

I am new to camping so my concern is just mainly sleeping a canvas tear away from the outside world. We have only been to 2 KOAs, but our big trip is coming up. I doubt there is much reason for concern, just curious if anyone has run into problems.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #4

Having owned a popup for several years in the past; what you hear is the crows and other birds FIRST thing in the morning, kids playing, riding bikes, people talking in the nearby sites. As for security, just remember, locks are for honest people. If someone wants to get in, a lock is not going to stop them. I don't know how the canvas secures under the bunk of your trailer but our popup had elastic loops that hooked underneath. Just unhooking the loops and climbing onto the bed would be the easiest way to get in.

You can't go through life worrying about somebody breaking in your rig. But you can make it harder for them to do so.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD Guy View Post
We never did when we had a pop-up or Hybrid. If you have a specific reason for concer, you could always close up the beds when leaving the unit for the day.
That takes care of when you are out of the camper, but what do you do when you are sleeping in it?

Just joking folks. Don't think anyone has anything to worry about in a campground or state park but, I would be concerned in a Wally World or gas station parking lot.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
That takes care of when you are out of the camper, but what do you do when you are sleeping in it?
When sleeping in our RV I am loaded end to end with semi autos and a noisy big dog.. My concern is when we are absent. There are some pretty inexpensive alarm systems from GE that are configurable. Include motion and detection. Very loud.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It is not an issue for us but where do you camp? I have yet to camp anywhere I felt unsafe - SPs, NPs, NFS, or private.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #8

Remember that security does not only apply to humans. Bears have been known to invite themselves into a tent.

Rockwood Windjammer 3002W (11/10/2011)
2011 Sierra Denali HD - Duramax/Allison
EQ-4, 14,000/1,400
2006 Yukon Denali
Rebel702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Site Team

Perhaps a more probable issue might be bears! That's why we went hard sided. We didn't want to come back to a camper that was all torn up because a bear smelled food. Or worse yet, went in after our little dogs. They would probably smell you and leave you alone at night. But National Parks sometimes do not allow "soft" camping in bear country.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc
Not to start a debate, but if I had to camp "locked and loaded", I would give up camping and stay home. Not worth having to worry about possibly threatening someone for my wife and my safety.
Nobody "has" to camp that way, it's a choice, and I choose to protect my family by all means necessary. I never have and never will lose sleep over it (my Doberman helps with that)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-127551308.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	16411

but to think your safe because you are at a camp ground is ludicrous in my mind. With that being said, i had a pop up for years and never had a problem with people or animals. Had a black bear in Walden Colorado shake the crap out of it once but he never tried to come in for a visit.

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock