Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #1

Question Anyone out there have a Roo?

Hey anyone out there have a 21 roo.
K9gw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Site Team

almost everyone here that posts, has a Roo. do you have a Roo 21SS, 21RS or one of the older Roo 21 models?
lots of Roo owners here but not as many as on RV.net or Hybrid Explorer.

are you asking to find other owners or do you have a question about your Roo?
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Site Team

i saw that you've been having some issues posting in the right section.
you need to post the specific year and model of Roo. i take it you have a 21SS but don't know which year.

some of the '06-'07 21SS models had bolt issues in the slide caused by the bolts shearing. FR replaced them with higher grade bolts.

not sure if you don't have the crank for the slide or you don't know where to attach the crank.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #4

2011 roo 21ss
cant find where to put crank book says its on transmission....no sport for it.
my slide just stopped working had it out once
Old 07-09-2010, 09:21 PM   #5

i have the crank
have looked high and low
Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #6
Site Team

on my 23SS, you look under the sofa and there's a gold-colored motor, i think, at the very back. it has a small shaft coming out with a pin thru it. the socket on the end of the crank, fits over it and that turns the motor manually.
not sure if it's in the same area in the 21SS. it takes a lot of cranking to get it in.
there's no hole or access hatch to do this, on my 23SS.
it also, might be under the dinette, somewhere. it should be on the floor of the slide, somewhere.

you also might look at some of the other posts in the Roo or Shamrock sections for other 21SS owners. send them a PM.

who did you buy from? the dealer should be able to help. if not, call RVWholesalers and see if someone there can help you.
Old 07-12-2010, 04:35 AM   #7

yeah the dealer i got it from has been useless. nope had to crawl under, think motor seized up water in boot that covered it had unit 3 weeks i never had in in rain? dont know right now. thanks
Old 07-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
Site Team

the motor to my slide is inside, not outside.

i would post a question on the Hybrid Forum at RV.net.
there are a lot of 21SS owners there and you'll probably get a quicker answer.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:59 AM   #9

I have an 06 21SS and mines outside right in the middle, under the slide...
STATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #10

I have a 2011 Roo 21ss and have had nothing but trouble with my slideout. It eats 30amp fuses like candy. I was told oh you have to be connected to shore power or your tow vechile with the engine running. In both cases it still blew the fuse. Now it is stuck in the out position and make a grinding noise if I try to retract. My Roo is 3 weeks old and the dealer had it back for one to look at the slideout and said it worked fine for him.
Ty_Roo21ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #11

Slide Out

If you are hearing a grinding noise, it sounds like the worm gear.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #12
SGR

I've had one for about 6 months.
SGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #13

I have a 2011 Roo 21ss that has been having the problems with the slide. There is no crank to the new system. The new motor design has an electric brake. So to put the slide in manually I was supposed to disconnect some wires and connect them to 2 C batteries in order to release the brake system. Then I would have to use a wrench on the bars that connect the slide to the motor and turn them manually.

Anyway my dealer and his service manager have been great in working on getting this problem resolved. Apparently after several calls made by them on my behalf to Rockwood they have taken the unit back and they are going to be looking at a new solution to this problem on the 2011 models.

Guess I'll see the solution when the unit is returned to me. This problem only came to light because I had the bad luck to get 2 bad motors in a row. My dealer and I were worried that we don't know how long the next motor would last and I needed a better way to manually close the slide.

Will post once I get my unit back and see what the solution is.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:23 AM   #14

I just bought a 2011 Roo 21SS. There is a hole in the center of the curb side fender flare. When you look in through the hole, you see a fitting on the frame into which the speed wrench the dealer said was for the slide would fit. I haven't tried using it, so can't comment on whether there's any truth to there being an electric brake. Fortunately (knock on wood!!!), I've had no trouble with the slide....but then, I've only used the trailer once so far over a weekend -- I've had the slide in and out probably less than a dozen times....
LoryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:07 AM   #15

Yes that is the newer design for the 2011 Roo 21ss. Unfortunately mine is an early model 2011 21ss where they were trying a different design for the chassis and slide. If seems to have been problematic because they switched to the design that you have, which is similar to their other models. The good news for me is that they have taken my trailer back and they are going to switch it over to the newer design that they are using.

They have been really great about addressing my problem and offering the fix. and they will run the warranty from when I get the converted trailer back, not the original purchase date.

My only concern is the process of moving my trailer off the current chassis and on to the new one. I’m hoping that the structural integrity isn’t lost in the process. Other than my slide problem I have been very happy with my Roo and the quality of the trailer.

'12 F250 Ford Super Crew
'11 Forrest River ROO 21ss
Old 11-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #16

I have a 2010 Roo 21SS and it ate 30 amp fuses like candy all summer. Couldn't figure it out and the dealer couldn't figure it out.

Not sure if this was the cause but my slide tore my carpet out. The crappy foam under the carpet was out past the carpet and the wood floor of the slide was grabbing it.

There is a 5/8" nut recessed on the trailer's rear end of the motor (not sure I explained that properly). That is the manual override for mine (put the socket on a ratchet and tell the wife to start crankin' and get a comfy chair and a beer LOL).

First time it happened I was getting ready to leave and it wouldn't go in so I called the dealer and they told me they didn't know what to do and to read the manual. I left the manual at home of course. Found the fuse (stupid location) and of course didn't have a spare so off to the hardware store (upset) to get a fuse for my brand new trailer. I bought all the store had!!

By the end of the summer and 63 nights camped it seems to be ok (still have all those fuses!) Took it to the dealer this fall and they found a pinched wire for the lights above the couch.
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #17

Oh ya. I am going to take the residential style box under the front driverside of the trailer and replace it with a sealed unit and move the fuse for the slide in, out of the weather.
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo