Old 03-24-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
rbq

Awning & slide switch guards

On our 233S the switch for the slide & the power awning are in the doorway right at the level for little hands to play with. Does anyone have any suggestions about switch guards or another solution so that the grandkids won't play with these switches?

Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #2

I think it was poor planning on FR's part. With 5 kiddos, I'll be watching this thread.

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 34
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:16 AM   #3

Our switch was located horizontally below the awning side cabinets over the dinette. Had to bend over and reach under to operate the switch. Not sure who comes up with the layouts for the electrical at FR but common sense doesn't always prevail. We relocated it right inside the door but head high for an adult. Saw a guy at a State Park last year in a Jayco that covered his switch with a plastic lense cover and velcro. He did so because he constantly hit it with his knee. Seemed to work for him.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #4

RBQ...how old are the kids? If they are older than 5 years old, then a polite firm discussion needs to take place. My youngest was 6 when we got our previous travel trailer with a slide and he never touched it and it being the switch which was put in a low spot. We talked to him about it
Now if your grandkids are younger, than 5 I can see this being a problem because most 3 and 4 year old kids explore everything and sometimes talking just doesn't work. On the other hand, if they are that young they should likely not be left alone in the trailer anyway...just sayn.

We did not order ours with the power awning with auto rain dump. We have been in too many windy rainy situations and damaged our previos awning twice...I can only imagine what the repair bill would be for a powered one (lol)...now when we leave for the day, the awning goes up and if nasty weather is forcasted for overnight, the awning goes up...it is like a giant sail in the wind to say the least...
08 Tundra 5.7 liter 4x4 crew cab TRD limited
08 Toyota limited 4 Runner Iforce V8 full time 4WD, tow package
Smokyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Pull the fuses at the battery for your slides or make a seperate "buss" for the slide fuse pigtails and put in a kill switch with a key (use a generic starter switch from the auto store).

I have a 30 amp kill switch for my outside landing gear after my buddies grandson tried to run my landing gear down with the stabilizers deployed. Good thing I saw him out of the corner of my eye or I would have been buying ANOTHER set. As a bonus it make the camper hard to steal.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #6
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Google "Thermostat Locking Box." A few bucks, a few minutes and, usually, problem solved.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
Google "Thermostat Locking Box." A few bucks, a few minutes and, usually, problem solved.
Great idea for "inside" switches!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
dap

There also is a plastic cover available for outdoor electric outlets that could be adapted.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
rbq

If you think the two switches in the doorway of the 233S was poor planning you ought to see where they put the monitor, water pump & water heater switch in the 23SS is located, right by the end of the couch, a definite kid magnet. Glad the 233S water heater & monitor is above the fridge. Don't know why they don't do that on all of them.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #10

You could always stand at the door with a hot poker. Every time the kids try and touch the switches...poke em’ . Good old Pavlovian training.

Just kidding of course.

Tags
awning