Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #1

Awning for 233s Slide

Hi All,

What are your thoughts about getting an awning for the slide. Have any of you purchased (aftermarket)? Do you recommend? Or not really needed?
mtaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I ordered my unit installed with the awning so can't help with an aftermarket recommendation.

I can help, maybe, in giving our impression of a slide-topper in general. We've had trailers with and without and got it with the current trailer to reduce the sap, leaves and other debris that will fall onto the slide-out.

Sap is the real issue for us. Since we camp often in forests (including pine woods) we've found that the topper does a good job in keeping the sap off. This is important because, once that stuff hardens, it can cause harm to the seal at the top of the slide. Keeping if off the slide, as opposed to cleaning it off before we close up, has been worth the cost to us.

Also, the twigs and leaves are kept to a minimum so we don't worry nearly as much about that issue. A quick check under the topper before closing is important to make sure nothing blew underneath, but so far we haven't found any.

It does its job well.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
Site Team

it's always cheaper to have it ordered with the slide topper, than to add it afterwards. we didn't and had to pay a lot to add our slide topper after a couple of years.

our Roo has a 12' slideout so a topper was a must. but with a smaller slideout, you may not need one.
we camp in wooded state parks and had lots of issues with sap, dirt and debris.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #4

I hope to be adding one next summer. It will run about 300.00 for us through our dealer.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
Campfire Starter

I didn't get one on our 233s, would of liked it but the camper I bought didn't have it. They quoted me $600 to put one on it and couldn't justify it. $300 sounds a lot better maybe I need to shop around. Would like to have one for same reasons stated in earlier posts. Definitely pay close attention when pulling in the slide, not rip a seal if you don't have one. Always do visual before.

Doug '71 n Deb 'better not'
DS1 '98 DS2 '99 DD '04
2000 Coleman Utah, since '05 replaced with
2011 Rockwood Roo 233s
2002 F150 FX4 SuperCab
Fx4dugan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
233, 233s, awning