Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 11:48 AM   #41

Most ppl I see have ratchet straps from the awning tube to hooks in the ground? I usually just bring my awning in if there is going to be wind, but OC's brackets are nice I have seen them on an RV

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-29-2015, 12:22 PM   #42
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Wow does that sound familiar..... I wash and wax the rv and my truck (unless I pay the neighbor in beer to use his mobile detailing business stuff on it). I clean the trailer, load the trailer, drive the trailer and pay the lawn guy cause Dh won't mow our hills. And I also work as a nurse. I also make dinner, take care of getting dd bathed and off to bed etc. While a certain dh gets to watch tv and tell me she's up too late. Gotta love independent women!
works for me

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
I got these from Harbor freight 2-in-1 Support/Cargo Bar Modified the top mounted originally similarly to OP's method, got got new parts to mount it differently. These are adjustable so they worked good when the ground is uneven.
This may be the best idea I have seen yet! I just bought a pair and they are well built. It will take very little work to make a connection to the awning. You have to be careful buying from Harbor freight but these poles and their adjustment clamp work very well and I think they will last. They even have a decent foot. If they don't last, you are out $25.81.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:03 PM   #44

Maybe a set of those poles and ratchet straps will work on my Roo

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #45
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Maybe a set of those poles and ratchet straps will work on my Roo
Make sure you get a bracket kit.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:17 PM   #46

Old Coot owns the right side of the Twix bar and Turbs owns the left side.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:16 PM   #47

Been going to make mine permanent for a while thanks for getting me thinking about this again. This is what I came up with to attach it to the awning support. A PVC plug cut a 1/4 inch slot on one side drill a 1/16 inch hole through the the end of the rod end of the original pole and through the PVC so it will rotate into the slot. Drill a hole in top of the PVC and through the awning arm to attach it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1443553624133.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	90235  
Old 09-30-2015, 12:03 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Old Coot owns the right side of the Twix bar and Turbs owns the left side.
So true.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:22 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOrLarry View Post
This may be the best idea I have seen yet! I just bought a pair and they are well built. It will take very little work to make a connection to the awning. You have to be careful buying from Harbor freight but these poles and their adjustment clamp work very well and I think they will last. They even have a decent foot. If they don't last, you are out $25.81.
Only thing I've found is that they are not sealed so water does get in only thing I've found to do is drill a small drain hole at lowest point. Trying to figure out how to seal them.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:06 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Only thing I've found is that they are not sealed so water does get in only thing I've found to do is drill a small drain hole at lowest point. Trying to figure out how to seal them.
I built metal brackets for mine today. I will rivet them to the awning tomorrow. I wouldn't worry about sealing them if you have found a way to drain any water that gets in since they are powder coated. I'm very glad I found your post. Many guys have used painters poles, but these poles from Harbor Freight are much stronger and much cheaper and come with a foot.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:55 PM   #51
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trog73 View Post
I've got a question regarding these tie downs. How much wind is the awning material itself going to withstand before the awning needs to be retracted? Even though the awning frame is well secured, the material is going to catch the wind and, being flexible, will be flopping around somewhat. It seems that at some point, maybe just short of a gale, it is going to either rip, tear, or pull out of the channel at the trailer. So, at what point do ya'll go from 'oh, don't worry; it's no problem' to 'Oh crap!'?
There's also a de-flapper mod. for electric awnings.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:57 AM   #52

My awning pole project is finished

I finished my awning support project and put it to the test this past weekend. I got the idea from Mark0224, thanks! He and I used harbor Freight cargo poles. I made some brackets out of steel 1 inch tubing. I removed one of the four sides with a cut off wheel, rounded the corners drilled some holes and painted them. I riveted them to the awning arms. I drilled a 3/16 hole trough the ball end of the pole and attached with a removable pin.
See pictures below.
We camped at a lake over the weekend and we had an unusual storm front come through with wind gusts up to 30 miles an hour. I left the poles attached and the awning out. I’m very pleased with these poles, nothing moved. I don’t like the look of permanently attaching the poles to the awning arms so this is a great solution for me.
Total cost, $32.00 poles, stakes and Para cord.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2015-10-09 13.31.20.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	91309   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-09 13.35.37.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	91310   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-10-09 13.35.57.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	493.9 KB
ID:	91311  
Old 10-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #53

Quote:
I finished my awning support project and put it to the test this past weekend. I got the idea from Mark0224, thanks! He and I used harbor Freight cargo poles. I made some brackets out of steel 1 inch tubing. I removed one of the four sides with a cut off wheel, rounded the corners drilled some holes and painted them. I riveted them to the awning arms. I drilled a 3/16 hole trough the ball end of the pole and attached with a removable pin.
See pictures below.
We camped at a lake over the weekend and we had an unusual storm front come through with wind gusts up to 30 miles an hour. I left the poles attached and the awning out. I’m very pleased with these poles, nothing moved. I don’t like the look of permanently attaching the poles to the awning arms so this is a great solution for me.
Total cost, $32.00 poles, stakes and Para cord.

Those look great, a lot more sturdy and at a fraction of the cost. Completely agree on permanent solutions, not to mention the potential for negatively impacting trade in or re-sale value.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:03 PM   #54
Mod free 5er

From all indications, the permanently mounted ones increase trade in & resale value. So with these, you have pop rivet holes if you take them off and if left on, will rust and are not self storing.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:08 PM   #55
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Those look great, a lot more sturdy and at a fraction of the cost. Completely agree on permanent solutions, not to mention the potential for negatively impacting trade in or re-sale value.
The poles are in compression, so what has diamater to do with it?..Re-sale value? Take 'em off, if it bothers you.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:23 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
From all indications, the permanently mounted ones increase trade in & resale value. So with these, you have pop rivet holes if you take them off and if left on, will rust and are not self storing.
If you don't like the look of poles hanging on the awning arms then it lessens the value. It's not the bracket that I don't like the look of, it's the extra tubing scabbed onto the awning arms. You dudes who sell the poles on this site sure are insecure! There is more than one way to skin a cat.
You have nothing to worry about. There will always be people who think costing more is always better. I'm not one of those guys I guess.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #57
Mod free 5er

Quote:
If you don't like the look of poles hanging on the awning arms then it lessens the value. It's not the bracket that I don't like the look of, it's the extra tubing scabbed onto the awning arms. You dudes who sell the poles on this site sure are insecure! There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Not a problem with however you secure your awning as long as it is secured.
BTW, the poles are not scabbed onto the awning arms and can be removed very easily. Most folks paint them to match the awning arms, I just elected to polish mine to look like chrome. Enjoy your mod, we enjoy ours.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:57 PM   #58

My home made pole were really tested last trip lots of heavy thunder storms very gusty winds no problems awing stayed put I made my uncle a set also no problems for him either one of my best mods so far
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1471381116433.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	117461  

2014 roo 233S. 2008 saab 97x
dado39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning