Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
Battery for Roo 19

I have been using my Roo without a battery installed since Day 1. I guess I didn't want to have to worry about what to do with it over the winter.

After running down the truck battery one time too many by leaving the combo connected overnight, I've decided it's time. If anyone could relate their experience with deep cycle batteries and advice on best to buy as well as how to store it over a Canadian winter, I would be much obliged.

Tsm

Fred
__________________

__________________
fjsenzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,239
no need to disconnect it, just install a battery disconnect switch.
__________________

__________________
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Member
 
buzzmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 79
We live in Canada too, best to remove the battery and keep it in the garage on charge, as at - 30 deg C it may freeze and crack. I know that batteries are left in TV over winter but they tend to be driven and it gives the batteries time to warm up, plus most have plug in to keep the engine and batteries warm. Rather than a prolong cold soak.

We remove the battery and haven't had any problems
__________________
buzzmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,973
When you pull the battery for the winter do not store on cement floor. This will kill the battery faster then the cold outside. Have battery in a table or bench if available or set on a piece of 2 by wood.
__________________
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
MtnGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Posts: 9,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjsenzel View Post
I have been using my Roo without a battery installed since Day 1. I guess I didn't want to have to worry about what to do with it over the winter.
Please get a battery installed before you tow again !!!! That powers your emergency brakes in case your trailer disconnects from your tow vehicle. You are towing illegally !!!

If your dealer did not give you a battery at time of purchase, then go back to them and demand 1.
__________________

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Bend, WI
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Please get a battery installed before you tow again !!!! That powers your emergency brakes in case your trailer disconnects from your tow vehicle. You are towing illegally !!!

If your dealer did not give you a battery at time of purchase, then go back to them and demand 1.

Not to mention using your TV starter battery as a deep cycle battery. That's not good for a starter battery.
__________________
03 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, 5.3 V8, 3.73
06 Rockwood Roo 23SS
Equalizer Hitch
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 752
You can store your battery for the winter in your basement with something under so the battery does not contact the cement floor. Give it a trickle charge every month. The dealer should have instructed you to leave the battery connected at the time of your shopping. Like MTNGUY said running without a battery you were like a time issue for a serious accident in case the trailer would have separated from your attachment. If you really want to run without the deep cycle battery there is a smaller battery that they sell just for operating the emergency brake but the deep cycle battery is the best choice. Also when you are hooked to the power on campgrounds the battery is recharging through your power converter. Get the most powerfull deep cycle battery for the size of your battery box. The difference in the price is very small between the regular and the more powerfull model.
__________________
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Boyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Iron River, MI
Posts: 378
My bubble was popped too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
When you pull the battery for the winter do not store on cement floor. This will kill the battery faster then the cold outside. Have battery in a table or bench if available or set on a piece of 2 by wood.
I have forever believed, as you, that batteries should NOT be stored on a cement floor. Well......This old dog just leaned a new trick.

"Myth: The old myth about not storing batteries on concrete floors is just that - a myth. This story has been around for 100 years, and originated back when battery cases were made up of wood and asphalt. The acid would leak from them, and form a slow-discharging circuit through the now acid-soaked and conductive floor."

Ref: Deep Cycle Battery FAQ http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm
__________________
"If everything seems to be going well, look around, you've obviously overlooked something."
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Bill_C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
I have forever believed, as you, that batteries should NOT be stored on a cement floor. Well......This old dog just leaned a new trick.

"Myth: The old myth about not storing batteries on concrete floors is just that - a myth. This story has been around for 100 years, and originated back when battery cases were made up of wood and asphalt. The acid would leak from them, and form a slow-discharging circuit through the now acid-soaked and conductive floor."

Ref: Deep Cycle Battery FAQ Deep Cycle Battery FAQ
I believe it has to do with the fact that a concrete floor is cold and draws heat. A cold battery cannot hold a full charge and goes dead, fast. It has to do with the battery being kept cold, not it's discharge.
__________________
DRINK COFFEE--do stupid things faster and with more energy ! Rockwood 5th wheel, Signature Untralite, 8244S
Tow Vehicle: Ram 3500 6.4 litre Hemi.
Bill_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Boyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Iron River, MI
Posts: 378
Bill C, makes perfect sense to me. Batteries, chainsaw and all electrical devices on a block of wood. Old-school is alive and well!
__________________

__________________
"If everything seems to be going well, look around, you've obviously overlooked something."
Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 PM.