Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2011, 07:54 AM   #1

Battery for Roo 19

I have been using my Roo without a battery installed since Day 1. I guess I didn't want to have to worry about what to do with it over the winter.

After running down the truck battery one time too many by leaving the combo connected overnight, I've decided it's time. If anyone could relate their experience with deep cycle batteries and advice on best to buy as well as how to store it over a Canadian winter, I would be much obliged.

Tsm

Fred
fjsenzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Site Team

no need to disconnect it, just install a battery disconnect switch.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #3

We live in Canada too, best to remove the battery and keep it in the garage on charge, as at - 30 deg C it may freeze and crack. I know that batteries are left in TV over winter but they tend to be driven and it gives the batteries time to warm up, plus most have plug in to keep the engine and batteries warm. Rather than a prolong cold soak.

We remove the battery and haven't had any problems
buzzmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #4

When you pull the battery for the winter do not store on cement floor. This will kill the battery faster then the cold outside. Have battery in a table or bench if available or set on a piece of 2 by wood.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjsenzel View Post
I have been using my Roo without a battery installed since Day 1. I guess I didn't want to have to worry about what to do with it over the winter.
Please get a battery installed before you tow again !!!! That powers your emergency brakes in case your trailer disconnects from your tow vehicle. You are towing illegally !!!

If your dealer did not give you a battery at time of purchase, then go back to them and demand 1.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Please get a battery installed before you tow again !!!! That powers your emergency brakes in case your trailer disconnects from your tow vehicle. You are towing illegally !!!

If your dealer did not give you a battery at time of purchase, then go back to them and demand 1.

Not to mention using your TV starter battery as a deep cycle battery. That's not good for a starter battery.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:34 AM   #7

You can store your battery for the winter in your basement with something under so the battery does not contact the cement floor. Give it a trickle charge every month. The dealer should have instructed you to leave the battery connected at the time of your shopping. Like MTNGUY said running without a battery you were like a time issue for a serious accident in case the trailer would have separated from your attachment. If you really want to run without the deep cycle battery there is a smaller battery that they sell just for operating the emergency brake but the deep cycle battery is the best choice. Also when you are hooked to the power on campgrounds the battery is recharging through your power converter. Get the most powerfull deep cycle battery for the size of your battery box. The difference in the price is very small between the regular and the more powerfull model.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #8

My bubble was popped too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
When you pull the battery for the winter do not store on cement floor. This will kill the battery faster then the cold outside. Have battery in a table or bench if available or set on a piece of 2 by wood.
I have forever believed, as you, that batteries should NOT be stored on a cement floor. Well......This old dog just leaned a new trick.

"Myth: The old myth about not storing batteries on concrete floors is just that - a myth. This story has been around for 100 years, and originated back when battery cases were made up of wood and asphalt. The acid would leak from them, and form a slow-discharging circuit through the now acid-soaked and conductive floor."

Ref: Deep Cycle Battery FAQ http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm
Old 07-17-2011, 07:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd View Post
I have forever believed, as you, that batteries should NOT be stored on a cement floor. Well......This old dog just leaned a new trick.

"Myth: The old myth about not storing batteries on concrete floors is just that - a myth. This story has been around for 100 years, and originated back when battery cases were made up of wood and asphalt. The acid would leak from them, and form a slow-discharging circuit through the now acid-soaked and conductive floor."

Ref: Deep Cycle Battery FAQ Deep Cycle Battery FAQ
I believe it has to do with the fact that a concrete floor is cold and draws heat. A cold battery cannot hold a full charge and goes dead, fast. It has to do with the battery being kept cold, not it's discharge.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #10

Bill C, makes perfect sense to me. Batteries, chainsaw and all electrical devices on a block of wood. Old-school is alive and well!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #11

Old myths are hard to kill. It amazes me how so many people still think the way to check an alternator is to pull the battery cable off with the engine running.
Hybrid21SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid21SS View Post
Old myths are hard to kill. It amazes me how so many people still think the way to check an alternator is to pull the battery cable off with the engine running.
Alternators haven't been around long enough to qualify for old myth status.

I am curious though, how is pulling the battery cable off the battery, with engine running, supposed to check the alternator?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:37 PM   #13

You need voltage to fire the spark plugs. If the battery is not connected then the voltage is coming from the alternator. It the alternator stops working you are running off battery only. TV will stall after a time and not be able to start because the battery is drained.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
You need voltage to fire the spark plugs. If the battery is not connected then the voltage is coming from the alternator. It the alternator stops working you are running off battery only. TV will stall after a time and not be able to start because the battery is drained.
Yes, thats how the myth goes. If it stays running your alternator is good. Of course it does not work and besides risking a spark induced battery explosion you also most likely destroyed the alternator in the process. It started back in the days when cars had generators instead of alternators and 50+ years later many still believe you can do it. Just like old methods of battery production has continued the concrete myth even though modern battery's are not effected by it. Old time battery's where wood then rubber construction for cases. Both are affected by moisture on the ground. Todays battery's polypropylene cases are uneffected my moisture.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:13 PM   #15

I can't imagine there's too many cars on the road these days without at least an "idiot light" for the charging system. However if that's the case, a simple voltage check at the battery terminals will tell you if the alternator is working.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhoppe View Post
I can't imagine there's too many cars on the road these days without at least an "idiot light" for the charging system. However if that's the case, a simple voltage check at the battery terminals will tell you if the alternator is working.
After 25 years in the automotive parts business I have learned that people want to work on their own vehicles, but don't want to buy tools. For the average consumer a volt/ohm meter falls under the category of "specialty tool"

Tags
battery