Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2011, 05:53 AM   #1

Battery on my 23SS

I have 2007 Roo 23SS and the battery will not run anything in the camper including the fridge. I have checked all the fuses as well as the grounds to make sure they are tight. Is there something that I'm missing to look at? The battery is new and fully charged when I put it in. When the camper is hooked up to shore power it will not charge the battery either. We are planning a longer trip in July and I need to have the fridge working for the ride or I'm afraid that my food may spoil.
tmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Besides the breakers and fuses inside, did you also check the fuse under the camper inline from the trailer tongue? Sometimes people miss this one.

Mine is a 30 amp (green) ATC type fuse and can be found on the slide side about 2 feet from the front of the camper.

Either that or check your converter to make sure its still good.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Another thought is to make sure your battery is wired correctly. White is ground and should be connected to the frame. Black is positive. If they are connected backwards than the protection fuse would have blown.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 06-15-2011, 05:51 AM   #4

Checked the fuse and it looks good. How would I know if the convertor is bad?
Thanks for your help.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It could be a number of things. The best course might be to take it in, but there are a few things you can do with a multimeter to find out why the converter is not charging the batteries. But, lets try to narrow it down a little before you take up too much time.

I should have asked this the first time, but except for charging the batteries, is anything else in the trailer (lights, fridge, heater, outlets, micro, A/C, slide) working when plugged into 120?

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 06-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #6
Wanna Be Camper

I would not think the converter is bad as the common theme is no 12v to or from the battery. Check and see if there is a cct breaker under the nose of the trailer somewhere. I would also trace the wires from the battery back under the trailer as they should go into a household square junction box where you will in all likelyhood find the most wonderful mess of wires tied together with household marettes and then the entire mess taped up with electrical tape. Check all that out as the may be a loose connection in that mess as well.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
Site Team

probably the inline breaker under the tongue.
usually happens when the wires get crossed while hooking up the battery.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Guys, I think he already checked that one. Or are you talking about a different breaker than the one that's inline from the positive battery terminal under the camper? I ask because I looked the other day and could only find my one fuse.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 06-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #9

Yes I did check that and the fuse is good. I'm going to stop tonight and change it any way to see if that helps. The camper works when plugged into shore power.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, its not the converter.

Here's what I would check next (the first two may seem silly but they're easy checks):

Are you sure there is not a battery selector switch that is set to off? Possible if the trailer is new to you. IDK how long you've had it.

Double check the charge on the new battery with a voltmeter to make sure its actually fully charged.

Loose wires that TheSacks mentioned.

Check the relay switch that automatically switches to 12 volt DC when the shore power is cut. You might be able to do this by listening for a click that indicates the relay switched to 12 volt. No click signifies a bad relay.

2012 Shamrock 233S

Tags
23ss, battery